• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

a WTF moment: small gun stores that screw you

35 dollars for 50 rounds is the new normal, get used to it.

As to Cabela's, they may have had a ten year contract with a manufacturer to make their store brand ammo, and the manufacturer is now getting the sh*t end of the stick selling to them at 10 dollars a box when their manufacturing cost all in is double that

I understand that buying only from a local shop is sometimes more expensive. However. I have a few shops I can go to and they will show me stuff they won't show other people. Or they will hang onto stuff for me. And I might kill 2 hours hanging around and playing with stuff. I may even help a random customer. I like the experience of it all. And if an item is higher priced but still in my buy range I think it is worth it. I had years to prepare for ammo shortages. I even have ammo types that are for guns I don't own yet. All I'm saying is enjoy the experience and don't be bitter to your LGS.

most of the time i try to buy local and support small gun shops, seems like there are 2 in my area jacking up ammo prices by charging more than twice the price; $35 for 40 S&W 50 rds. went to cabelas, hudson ma and they were in shape. $16.99 50 rds. 5 box limit
View attachment 411964
Dude, it is .40. You are lucky you didn't get b*tch slapped.

Also, funny you complain about a local store with high prices and then you support Cabelas that screws EVERYONE with high gun prices.

Almost every gun in Cabelas can be found at your local store for at least $100-200 cheaper. Your local store that buys a few compared to Cabelas buying hundreds or thousands of just one gun.

Do they still have that SW 929 for $1400? LMAO. Local stores sell it for $1200. Online $1K.

Think about that.

most of the time i try to buy local and support small gun shops, seems like there are 2 in my area jacking up ammo prices by charging more than twice the price; $35 for 40 S&W 50 rds. went to cabelas, hudson ma and they were in shape. $16.99 50 rds. 5 box limit
View attachment 411964
Hate to break it to you but 35 bucks is the price now. Cabela's is just selling themselves short frankly but they probably don't give a shit. Let me put it this way at any decent gun shop I can put out 40 ammo for that price and have it all gone in a day... that means it's not too expensive.

Never seen a gun store buying commercial ammo from J.Random Dude off the street and selling it as NIB-- now, there used to be that place in Amherst where the owner would stalk the ammo counter at Walmart and just slap his own price tag on, but that's no longer an option...

F*** his distributor if they're charging him 30% more at wholesale than what Cabela's puts it out on the floor for at retail!
Is your local guy selling herters? Can your local dealer call a ammo manufacture and make a production deal to put in his box.
Do you know the price point for a decent discount on ammo from manufacture or vendor.
Can your local gun shop lay out $500k or more to stock up on ammo.

They aren't screwing you intentionally most of the time. Do you think you LGS has the buying power of cabelas/bass pro?

I'll pay more at my local shop than run all over hell so the Walmart of guns and tackle can make my local guy go out of business.

Yeah, for the most part the small shops are just trying to keep the lights on. This is nothing new.

Yeah, for the most part the small shops are just trying to keep the lights on. This is nothing new.
also keep in mind here in MA even LGS have ammo limits, local fire chief can put further restrictions on them also.
IIRC this is how fourseasons started the ammo trailer sales.

Back
Top Bottom