A Word on The NRA

I can’t say I disagree with most of the replies. I don’t like what WLP does with NRA money either. I learned some stuff from you better informed guys . No matter what organization you are talking about
Don’t give the Gun Hating Left anything to help them. If we are divided it only weakens us if they know about it .
it weakens us more . Just my 2 cents.

Hi All , I just became a life member and was very depressed when I read All the Negative Comments regarding the NRA in the thread about Voting for JIM Wallace for the NRA Board .
The NRA is the Only National Gun Rights Organization we have . Sure the have had some issues but I don’t believe them all .Things will get better ,Give them a chance they are all we have.
We have to stick with them through thick and thin . I am just a concerned gun owner , but we have to Stick Together.
The Only Other Large Organization is the ANTIGUN Democrat Party whom has endless amounts of Money trying to take away The Second Amendment . WHEN YOU BADMOUTH THE NRA YOU BECOME A. MOUTHPIECE for the DEMOCRATIC PARTY ! That’s the SAME THING THEY DO ! Strength in numbers ! Thanks

Some of us have been "giving them a chance" for over 10 years now. The only reason to support the NRA is you have some other gun activity that requires membership. and yes, if you are eligible to vote, vote for Jim, of course. But I wouldn't blame anyone for opting out or holding back additional contributions, etc... they're f***ed up really bad right now and not very
useful. It's going to take a lot of work for them to be at all relevant again.

Wayne is 70 years old, he will retire (or expire) soon. If you don't like him, rest assured there will be new leadership one way or the other.
Don't forsake all of the rest of us.
Do your part.
Do you really think the job will be market rate after a national search for a leader, or a multi-million dollar package to a favored insider?

If everyone did that the NRA Would cease to exist , How long before nationwide Gun Confiscation would follow ?
( Worse Case Scenario )
Give the NRA a choice, between folding due to lack of contributions, or dumping Wayne, to regain cash flow for survival and I'm pretty sure they'll choose survival and dump Wayne.

There are a lot of strong arguments here. To summarize:

Wayne spends money lavishly, his income, which comes from members.
Many say his compensation is too much - but is it?
Taking the skinflint approach here is sure path to failure.

What we should be focused on is NOT the $$$, but being successful, at any cost.

Is the NRA making a difference? The answer is undoubtedly 'yes'.
Could they do more? Undoubtedly, yes.

Support them. Support GOA. Support SAF, and NAGF.
They all do a lot of good.

Wayne is 70 years old, he will retire (or expire) soon. If you don't like him, rest assured there will be new leadership one way or the other.
Don't forsake all of the rest of us.
Do your part.
Point of order....

The suits he bought custom......he "expensed" those to the NRA......therefore he did not spend "his income" on them.

Details......facts.......they help with being less ignorant.

In today's society we'd rather sink a ship than steer it. I share the concerns of the current NRA and have written/called/voted to no avail. I return to sender all NRA mail with FIRE WAYNE written on it. I still think they're necessary.

I support GOAL, Comm2A, GOA, SAF, and NRA. And recently VCDL. I think they all have a purpose.

Like many here, I am an NRA member, because I have to be, and I bought a membership when Charlton Heston was the man and challenged the anti's to take his rifle from his cold dead hands.
I really wouldn't have a problem with WLP's salary if the NRA was kicking ass. But they are not. And I really think they make poor decisions about how and where to spend their (our) money.
I mean, what's up with all of the printed marketing? It is very expensive and probably the least effective way to reach people. If you are an NRA member you know that hardly a week goes by that you don't get something in the mail from them. Wouldn't that money be better spent reaching out to people who are not 2A supporters? And the most important group to reach, doesn't read anything in print. We thumb our noses at young people, but they are the ones who will make the difference in the years to come.
And while I know that organizations like GOAL are supported by the NRA, many members in the toughest anti 2A states feel abandoned by the NRA, and those states are also the most populated states.
So while I have not turned my back on the NRA, I send any additional support to GOAL and Comm2a and will continue to do so until changes are made.

Point of order....

The suits he bought custom......he "expensed" those to the NRA......therefore he did not spend "his income" on them.

Details......facts.......they help with being less ignorant.

He allegedly expensed them right? Have you seen his expense reports? Doesn't really matter does it? You would rather burn down the barn than work to fix its problems.

Maybe you're jealous that you don't have a seven figure income. Maybe you hold the fallacy that their value in our fight is zero. You can think that, but get out of the way and stop working against your own people. You surely benefit from the victories they win don't you?

I hate when people skinflint 30 bucks per year and use current problems as the excuse. Those same people probably have zilch even before then.

We're on the same team!

Like many here, I am an NRA member, because I have to be, and I bought a membership when Charlton Heston was the man and challenged the anti's to take his rifle from his cold dead hands.
I really wouldn't have a problem with WLP's salary if the NRA was kicking ass. But they are not. And I really think they make poor decisions about how and where to spend their (our) money.
I mean, what's up with all of the printed marketing? It is very expensive and probably the least effective way to reach people. If you are an NRA member you know that hardly a week goes by that you don't get something in the mail from them. Wouldn't that money be better spent reaching out to people who are not 2A supporters? And the most important group to reach, doesn't read anything in print. We thumb our noses at young people, but they are the ones who will make the difference in the years to come.
And while I know that organizations like GOAL are supported by the NRA, many members in the toughest anti 2A states feel abandoned by the NRA, and those states are also the most populated states.
So while I have not turned my back on the NRA, I send any additional support to GOAL and Comm2a and will continue to do so until changes are made.

One thing that bugs me is all of the junk mail that the NRA sends plastered with pictures of hats, backpacks and knives. But the funny thing is I got my 'free' knife when I signed up or the first time years ago. Don't ask me where the knife is because I'm sure it's long gone. I could buy the same thing on wish.com for $.25

Oh and the printed mailers with 'win this truck', 'win these guns' and I look and say 'well I live in Massachusetts so it's just gift money since I wouldn't be able to take ownership of any of the guns'.

They take my money and then send it all back to me 50 cents at a time in postage for nonsense that goes straight into the garbage.

He allegedly expensed them right? Have you seen his expense reports? Doesn't really matter does it? You would rather burn down the barn than work to fix its problems.

Maybe you're jealous that you don't have a seven figure income. Maybe you hold the fallacy that their value in our fight is zero. You can think that, but get out of the way and stop working against your own people. You surely benefit from the victories they win don't you?

I hate when people skinflint 30 bucks per year and use current problems as the excuse. Those same people probably have zilch even before then.

We're on the same team!
I'm not jealous of any income level if they are honest and earn it.

My income level is enough that I could be donating much more than the annual membership......when Wayne quits I'll go back to giving.

I am new around this forum, but not new to guns and shooting. I joined the NRA when I was in my early teens in the "Quinway Rifle Club". It was an NRA program were we learned gun safety and how to shoot with bee-bee guns. I still have the 2 Daisy air guns from when I was a kid in the 70's. I lived in Boston, and took the MBTA bus with my bee-bee gun in plain sight every Saturday to go shoot. Try that today in Boston! I still have the patches and medals I earned to qualify for "Distinguished Expert" with a bee-bee gun.
I hope these programs are still out there for kids today.
I look back at the foundation that was laid by the NRA in my life, and I find it impossible to forsake them because Wayne LaPierre is a d*ck head.
I get the same crap in the mail about the "wine club" and the "win this truck" BS and it pisses me off too. But this is 2020, and not 1972, America is a different place now from were I grew up. How many things are there that the American government does that we don't like, but we can't just leave, were would we go?
There aren't many large organizations out there anymore that do everything that I want them too.
Yes, there are better 2A organizations to support, and I do, but there are precious few compared to the "Leftist Agenda" we are faced with today.
If you think America is a different place today, were do you think we are going if we loose organizations like the NRA? Wayne will be gone soon, one way or another.
Do not be so short sighted, see the big picture, do not hold back on at least the basic membership for what, $30 bucks a year? Are you kidding me????
God Bless America, and Long Live The Republic!

Threads like this are the same as threads that complain that Company X bought out Company Y or Company Z stopped making Product ABC. It's not FAIR meahhhhn!

But the reality is that we sit here and nit-pick about crap that doesn't matter. Like pay or whatever. A few seconds of research would show that the compensation is WELL within parameters. It's just more than you make. So that's not fair, right? Because if he sleeps even one second per day and DARES to make more than $150K a year, he should be thrown out.

It's like a bunch of old ladies in here some days. "Ooooh, this company doesn't make this anymore. What's the world coming to?" It's coming to a place where you're one of the DAMNED FEW PEOPLE that want it. Profit motives and all that. Somehow basic economics is somehow evil when it's YOUR item they are discontinuing. Hell, I'm still trying to find a NIB Buggywhip. "Oh, they don't agree with me 100% on all things gun-related so they suck." Name a politician you 100% agree with. One you can vote for where you live. Trump??? Really????????

Honestly, some of these complaints would go well in the Bernie and Lizzie camp.

We're on the same team!
That does not mean that bilking the membership is OK or should be tolerated. It's like a doctor saying "Sure, I send Medicare fabricated bills, but I'm the only in this small town who can save your life, so just accept it."
So that's not fair, right? Because if he sleeps even one second per day and DARES to make more than $150K a year, he should be thrown out.
  • It is the business of the members to be concerned about how the org spends money, just like it is the business of a stockholder in a corporation how it spends money. It is not the business of the customer how much a CEO of the product they are buying is paid. The term "member" is often misused (you don't have a "member" relationship with a fitness center or commercial range, but do with many gun clubs and the NRA).
  • There is allegedly an election process to provide accountability, however, the NRA stacks the deck so as to make that totally ineffective. As an example, I'll bet Jim Wallace will not even dare raise this issue in a board meeting (and no, that is not a slam on Jim - just an observation that he will be severely punished if he makes any attempt to rock that boat).
  • You're talking millions, not $150K, and expensing hundreds of thousands of items not generally expensed in the business world.
  • I wonder if he pays taxes on those suits? Unless they are job specific uniform wear not suitable to other more generalized use, they are income. If he does, does he get a tax gross-up?
  • The is the gun world's equivalent of Kozlowski/Tyco, but far too many take the attitude of "he represents our side, criticism is inappropriate".

Last edited:
Basically we want NRA to be managed by somebody like Mao Zedong. He will eat his lunch from the vending machine, like us, he will work for the minimum wage, and he will make miracles in his free time. We want someone to bitch with us while we are reloading the very old BS over and over again.

This is why commies go after us! We are an easy target!

Yes, we have other organizations to support, and we should support them, but nobody has the reach of NRA. Commies will make gun control their main point in 2020. You think you will stop them on "a local level"? You think you will stop them with 2A? Think again!

You are $iting in your own bunker while you can't go out because you are under the attack from commies. Smart! [rolleyes]

I am with Dennis on this one; If you have problems with CEOs and their salaries join Bernie and his hungry troops, or, even better, become CEO yourself!

That does not mean that bilking the membership is OK or should be tolerated. It's like a doctor saying "Sure, I send Medicare fabricated bills, but I'm the only in this small town who can save your life, so just accept it."

• It is the business of the members to be concerned about how the org spends money, just like it is the business of a stockholder in a corporation how it spends money. It is not the business of the customer how much a CEO of the product they are buying is paid. The term "member" is often misused (you don't have a "member" relationship with a fitness center or commercial range, but do with man gun clubs and the NRA).
  • There is allegedly an election process to provide accountability, however, the NRA stacks the deck so as to make that totally ineffective. As an example, I'll bet Jim Wallace will not even dare raise this issue in a board meeting (and no, that is not a slam on Jim - just an observation that he will be severely punished if he makes any attempt to rock that boat).
  • You're talking millions, not $150K, and expensing hundreds of thousands of items not generally expensed in the business world.
  • I wonder if he pays taxes on those suits? Unless they are job specific uniform wear not suitable to other more generalized use, they are income. If he does, does he get a tax gross-up?
  • The is the gun world's equivalent of Kozlowski/Tyco, but far too many take the attitude of "he represents our side, criticism is inappropriate".

My co-workers bitch when I am playing golf with clients wearing expensive clothes, driving luxury cars, eating in expensive restaurants, but none of my co-workers delivered new orders, brought new customers or increased revenue, they just do not want someone to have luxury cars, wear expensive clothes and eat in overpriced restaurants!

You want dude in a tactical gear who will chew on beef jerky? Keep thinking........

I criticize the NRA - But not so the opposition hears me.
I criticize Trump - But not so the opposition hears me.

I criticize Warren, Sanders, Pelosi, Schumer (all of them) so that everyone hears me.

The NRA has had decades of strength - offset by a few years of weakness. NRA was started in 1871.

We will see who shows up when the SHTF really happens- 3%??? the last time - not sure we can find 3% now with the cry babies we have become!

We have gotten the government we deserve. SO FN SAD

I criticize the NRA - But not so the opposition hears me.
I criticize Trump - But not so the opposition hears me.

I criticize Warren, Sanders, Pelosi, Schumer (all of them) so that everyone hears me.

The NRA has had decades of strength - offset by a few years of weakness. NRA was started in 1871.

We will see who shows up when the SHTF really happens- 3%??? the last time - not sure we can find 3% now with the cry babies we have become!

We have gotten the government we deserve. SO FN SAD

Our problem is that we keep flying on a majority autopilot. We think somebody else will do it for us, because we are "the silent majority". Well, we are a minority now and from the global perspective we are the LAST ICEBERG commies want to melt with their lies.

Check this out to understand how easy it is to go after us:
“The gun issue is a good mobilizer for Democrats at this stage,” early in the campaign, said James Henson, a University of Texas political scientist and pollster. “But that’s much trickier in the polarized environment of a general election when you try to persuade people across party lines.”

A Dallas Morning News-University of Texas at Tyler poll published this month found 86% of Texans favor universal background checks on gun buyers and 68% want red flag laws - in line with other recent surveys.
-----------------

Instead of focusing on getting commie's more ammunition to shell our ranks, maybe we shall create ranks first and avoid bitching on public forums.

Last edited:
Hi All , I just became a life member and was very depressed when I read All the Negative Comments regarding the NRA in the thread about Voting for JIM Wallace for the NRA Board .
The NRA is the Only National Gun Rights Organization we have . Sure the have had some issues but I don’t believe them all .Things will get better ,Give them a chance they are all we have.
We have to stick with them through thick and thin . I am just a concerned gun owner , but we have to Stick Together.
The Only Other Large Organization is the ANTIGUN Democrat Party whom has endless amounts of Money trying to take away The Second Amendment . WHEN YOU BADMOUTH THE NRA YOU BECOME A. MOUTHPIECE for the DEMOCRATIC PARTY ! That’s the SAME THING THEY DO ! Strength in numbers ! Thanks
I liked your post and I agree with you. But you are very misinformed if you think the NRA (and I am a member) is the only “National Gun Rights Org” we have. Please take time to visit Gun Owners of America’s website and see what they are doing nationally, u won’t be disappointed. Lots of issues is putting it lightly. They have taken our money and ran with it for a long time now. They definitely need more than a good house cleaning to be back on top when it comes to gun rights. Also, please don’t label people who complain about the NRA as anti-gun or just as bad as the lefty democrats. You sound like they do because we have a different opinion. But yes! LETS STICK TOGETHER! God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom