• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A woman accidentally shot herself in a Mass. Target parking lot, police say

So they took her firearm .

im curious what law gives the cops the right to seize the firearm?

Will an ambulance transport firearms? I doubt they will, and if there’s no other LTC holder around, that might be a situation where the cops would take custody.

IANAL.

Will an ambulance transport firearms? I doubt they will, and if there’s no other LTC holder around, that might be a situation where the cops would take custody.

IANAL.
No. Nobody I’m aware of on a FD, even as a gun owner will. It’s not their job and I don’t think it’s even written in a protocol.
I know for a fact it was not in my SOP or G’s.

No. Nobody I’m aware of on a FD, even as a gun owner will. It’s not their job and I don’t think it’s even written in a protocol.
I know for a fact it was not in my SOP or G’s.

What happens if they find a concealed gun on someone they're transporting? I asked an ER nurse I know who has her LTC and she said they deal with it somewhat regularly w/ patients but I didn't get into the specifics.

IANAL.
I got hit while test-riding a customer's motorcycle. While in the ambulance, before it left for the hospital, I handed my J-frame to the reporting officer... loaded, in a
DeSantis pocket holster. He said I could pick it up after I was released from the Hospital at Billerica P.D.

5 days later, I hobbled in, showed my LTC and received my unloaded revolver, holster and a baggy with 5 Gold Dot .38spl +P HP rounds in it.
Damn good Department over there in Billerica...
~Enbloc

What happens if they find a concealed gun on someone they're transporting? I asked an ER nurse I know who has her LTC and she said they deal with it somewhat regularly w/ patients but I didn't get into the specifics.
I’m sure an ER person sees more of it. On a scene there’s so much to pay attention to that handing it off to the guys directing traffic have plenty of time to deal with it. I AM NOT shitting on LEO’s.
There’s scene safety and patient care to be more concerned with.

IMHO this is where the the red/blue friction starts in some departments. Everybody wants to be in charge. 😂

I worked with guys who I swear recorded themselves on tape just to sound important on the air. Busted many a ball bag on threatening to take the battery off their radio. Not joking.

I got hit while test-riding a customer's motorcycle. While in the ambulance, before it left for the hospital, I handed my J-frame to the reporting officer... loaded, in a
DeSantis pocket holster. He said I could pick it up after I was released from the Hospital at Billerica P.D.

5 days later, I hobbled in, showed my LTC and received my unloaded revolver, holster and a baggy with 5 Gold Dot .38spl +P HP rounds in it.
~Enbloc
The PD in Billerica runs the box. I’m not surprised one bit.

I'm not the only one in my shop to get Great Service from B.P.D.
Two years earlier, one of us was hit on his bike and he was able to recover his HK VP9 without issue...

I knew a few Captains on the department. First class guys.
Yeah, I'd been servicing BPD Motorcycle units for almost 30 years and knew many of the officers. The reporting officer at my accident I did not know.
I don't think he cared where I worked, just that I was mangled. Good Guy.

They have been paramedics for years. I think they run 3 trucks now.
Big money in patient transfers. I think they are the only town that the PD runs the box.
Chelmsford is private cause “union” so a private company gets the money. Not the town helping to cover their costs of responding and covering care.

I had BPD take a gun off me after a motorcycle accident that put me in MGH for a month.

When I called them about 2 weeks after the accident the gun was nowhere to be found.

My Dad, who would be dead from cancer in less than a month went to BPD East Boston and had a come to Jesus meeting with someone, because 2 days later BPD was calling me several times a day to come claim my gun, problem was I was confined to bed because I broke every bone in the left side of my body and had several sessions under the knife to put me back together with screws and plates.... seriously I look like some kids erector set project on x rays.

They would not give the gun to anyone but me.... so a Cop friend managed to get me in his car and to Eastie, he went in and told them I was in the car, couldn't walk, and if they wanted to get out from under this they had to bring it out to me, which they gladly did....

I thought for sure that gun was gone and was going to be used as a throw down piece by some cop

Dad had a lot of friends still on the job from his days as a cop, he dropped a couple of names of friends he had on BPD and they decided it was easier to find out who had the gun and get it back than it was to have to deal with them after Dad called in some favors

I’m sure an ER person sees more of it. On a scene there’s so much to pay attention to that handing it off to the guys directing traffic have plenty of time to deal with it. I AM NOT shitting on LEO’s.
There’s scene safety and patient care to be more concerned with.

IMHO this is where the the red/blue friction starts in some departments. Everybody wants to be in charge. 😂

I worked with guys who I swear recorded themselves on tape just to sound important on the air. Busted many a ball bag on threatening to take the battery off their radio. Not joking.

So what does happen if riding in the ambulance and the EMT suddenly discovers the patient is carrying? Presuming the patient is unable to inform them and is carrying away from the injury area so it wouldn't have been readily noticed at the scene?

~Enbloc
I took a bus ride here in NH. Un-chambered, re-inserted mag, and tossed my wife the chamber round and holstered gun in front of multiple hospital employees. Zero was said. I’ve gone for procedures to the hospital and kept the gun with my clothes. Un chambered is unloaded in America, minus .mils opinion!

Back
Top Bottom