• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A "When getting pulled over.." question...

Should I tell the cop...

Just kidding, seriously though, I had a question asked of me last night that I didn't have an actual answer to.

When you get pulled over I know that the cop's cruiser computer has a tab for "Other License" from what I understand, but would a security clearance turn up on any of the screens?

Last edited:
When you get pulled over I know that the cop's cruiser computer has a tab for "Other License" from what I understand, but would a security clearance turn up on any of the screens?

No. Clearances get issued from many different federal agencies, none of which are likely to be especially cuddly with local police.

No. Clearances get issued from many different federal agencies, none of which are likely to be especially cuddly with local police.

That was what I thought, but the person had mentioned that since a check had to run through the fed to get your LTC that a clearance would now turn up on the police screen, which made absolutely no sense.

Sounds like rental cop/mall ninja smoke blowing to me.

FWIW even if these people have worked in fed facilities before, they still might be mall cops.

-Mike

Security clearance info is "need to know" and PDs don't "need to know". I asked that question of my Chief a few years ago, no they don't have access to that info.

However it's not unheard of in small towns for someone at the PD or hearing the radio transmission on a stop to know someone and know something about them.

LTC info doesn't come up either. It's a special query and many town PDs can't do it from their MDT. However, some towns keep the info on the in-house computers (for locals) and the dispatcher will so advise the officer doing the stop.

Security clearance info is "need to know" and PDs don't "need to know". I asked that question of my Chief a few years ago, no they don't have access to that info.

However it's not unheard of in small towns for someone at the PD or hearing the radio transmission on a stop to know someone and know something about them.

LTC info doesn't come up either. It's a special query and many town PDs can't do it from their MDT. However, some towns keep the info on the in-house computers (for locals) and the dispatcher will so advise the officer doing the stop.

Thanks again LenS, you're a wealth of information, and I relayed your response to my wife so she can clear that up.

I have no idea about the information they have. I have always been treated respectfully by police officers. Maybe it's because I am respectful to them?

I have no idea about the information they have. I have always been treated respectfully by police officers. Maybe it's because I am respectful to them?

The gentleman in question is also all the time, what was meant was that it was treated like your average everyday stop and then the cop got REALLY polite.

I do the same thing, no point in being an ass to the cop and getting a REALLY big ticket...

+1

Nothing better than listening to a driver talk themselves into a citation.

Also, there are still places in MA that are firmly in the shallow end of the technology pool - no MDTs at all. If dispatch doesn't come back with the info, it doesn't ever make it to the officer.

The gentleman in question is also all the time, what was meant was that it was treated like your average everyday stop and then the cop got REALLY polite.

Maybe the cop released he screwed up somehow and that was his way of disengaging. I'm sure it happens....

-Mike

Haha. Mall Ninjas.

I've told this here before but here it goes again. I was pulled over in my old '88 5.0 convertible after leaving the Marlboro gun show years back. My inspection sticker was about a month expired. The MSP trooper pointed that out, and then pointed to the pile of stuff sitting on my passenger seat. A bunch of ammo, a 75-round AK drum, some cleaning stuff, and a NIB Beretta 21A. He asked if I just came from the show and I said yes. He didn't even bother to ask for my LTC. He just said to take care of my inspection sticker soon, and have a nice day. Either way you look at it, I was very lucky but it's all in your demeanor and attitude. I'm always polite and cooperative when getting pulled over (which has only been a handful of times in my 15 years of driving) It still blows my mind that he didn't even ask for the LTC. I guess I have an honest face. :)

Haha. Mall Ninjas.

I've told this here before but here it goes again. I was pulled over in my old '88 5.0 convertible after leaving the Marlboro gun show years back. My inspection sticker was about a month expired. The MSP trooper pointed that out, and then pointed to the pile of stuff sitting on my passenger seat. A bunch of ammo, a 75-round AK drum, some cleaning stuff, and a NIB Beretta 21A. He asked if I just came from the show and I said yes. He didn't even bother to ask for my LTC. He just said to take care of my inspection sticker soon, and have a nice day. Either way you look at it, I was very lucky but it's all in your demeanor and attitude. I'm always polite and cooperative when getting pulled over (which has only been a handful of times in my 15 years of driving) It still blows my mind that he didn't even ask for the LTC. I guess I have an honest face. :)
"An armed society is a polite society"

Seriously though, security clearance info does not appear on any police computers or in the course of a standard background check by local agencies. The only info they get is past interactions with the legal system, including when and where you have been pulled over or had your license plate run.

It is not that hard to get the status of a security clearance online. I think all you need is a name, birthday, SS #, and a password onto the DOD system. Any security officer at a place with a facility security clearance can do it. They do it to check security clearances when you visit somewhere, and it lists all the facilities you have a clearance at, and conctracts you are cleared for (if a civilian). In the old days you needed visit letters, etc, but nowadays it is all done via computer.

I would guess that a local PD would just not have that password, though.

Last edited:
LTC Info

L/T/C Info does come up on the cruisers computer, it comes under other licenses, they know when you got your drivers license, what type of license and a lot of other things especially the firearms stuff. Most towns are up to date on their database so dont listen to old wrong info.

L/T/C Info does come up on the cruisers computer, it comes under other licenses, they know when you got your drivers license, what type of license and a lot of other things especially the firearms stuff. Most towns are up to date on their database so dont listen to old wrong info.

As I stated above, it does not come up on MANY MDTs. Some towns may have SW that brings it up readily, others haven't modernized their software to do these special queries. I've confirmed that with my PD and a couple of others. When they want that info they ask the dispatcher to run the query and radio back to the officer if there are any LTCs issued.

Sorry Road Glide, I have a tendency to believe LenS over most others when it comes to this info, plus the man has been here quite a bit longer.

Sorry Road Glide, I have a tendency to believe LenS over most others when it comes to this info, plus the man has been here quite a bit longer.

There is no absolute answer on what an MDT is capable of . . . it depends on what SW the PD is running and what features are enabled. This is wrt LTCs.

As for gov't security clearance info, I asked my Chief directly about this a few years ago. Feds don't share unnecessary info with local PDs anyway and they have no need/justification to have it. It matters not whether you/I have a Confidential/Secret/Top Secret/Crypto or Secret Squirrel [smile] clearance as it has no use in police work.

Hey you're entitled to believe whomever you want but in my town and most other big towns they know by running your tag # before they even come to your side window, believe me i know from experience and from asking a local longtime cop who showed me!

Hey you're entitled to believe whomever you want but in my town and most other big towns they know by running your tag # before they even come to your side window, believe me i know from experience and from asking a local longtime cop who showed me!

Not all towns run the same system.

It is not that hard to get the status of a security clearance online. I think all you need is a name, birthday, SS #, and a password onto the DOD system. Any security officer at a place with a facility security clearance can do it. They do it to check security clearances when you visit somewhere, and it lists all the facilities you have a clearance at, and conctracts you are cleared for (if a civilian). In the old days you needed visit letters, etc, but nowadays it is all done via computer.

I would guess that a local PD would just not have that password, though.

As one who deals regularly with Security Clearance issues on a daily basis, it actually is a bit harder than you describe. First you have to go to one website then enter a password to another website there. Passwords are only granted to people who are vetted. Not all contractors or organizations have this capability, and not all security clearances are in the system for a variety of reasons which for the sake of brevity I am not going to elaborate on. The system is called the Central Verification System or CVS and if you use it, you are monitored and audited. Believe it or not not all agencies or contractors have it, and one still needs to have a clearance passed (be permanently certified or "perm certed") to another agency if one is going to be doing more than just attending a short meeting.

What Len said is the absolute truth. The bottom line is that local police departments do not have that capability and it is highly unlikely that they ever will. Also too, what does having a security clearance have to do with regards to a routine traffic stop? It is totally irrelevant.

Mark L.

Back
Top Bottom