A Melancholy day

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Today is August 31st.....my number two daughter turned 30 today, but it is also the day my older brother passed away.

My brother John was my hero....and I miss him more than my Dad.

We both served Vietnam....and he was always the family hero.

I can't count how many time he saved my ass during those years...

John did four tours in Vietnam. After his third tour, he was a SFC, and received a combat commission to 2LT.

His fourth tour was a a 2LT with the 1st Air Cav. But he wasn't like a lot of lieutenants.

He was a mustang......a rare breed.

DSC.jpg
[/IMG]

John served 24 years, and retired as a Major.

It was one thing to be a Vietnam Veteran and come home to a country that didn't care.

But it was harder for him, because he was a Real Hero. And he was never able to adjust to how he was treated by this country after he retired.

RIP John......I am drinking a toast to you tonight, and a toast to Laura on her 30th Birthday. She always loved you and misses you as much as I do.

Sorry things didn't turn out better.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this. Your brother, John, was quite a guy. He must have been a huge inspiration to his men. It is a shame that a lot of our countymen didn't recognize and honor the Vietnam Vets.

How ironic that your daughter, Laura, and your brother share opposite annual events on the same date. Wish her a Happy Birthday from us here at NES.

Thanks for sharing this. Your brother, John, was quite a guy. He must have been a huge inspiration to his men. It is a shame that a lot of our countymen didn't recognize and honor the Vietnam Vets.

How ironic that your daughter, Laura, and your brother share opposite annual events on the same date. Wish her a Happy Birthday from us here at NES.

Thanks....she will see it, because I sent this link to all my kids tonight....and also to John's two sons......

Wow, he was the real deal. I would have been proud to serve under him. Thank you.

I really love that description of his heroism. It just kept going. He was wounded, he kept going. He goes forward to protect his men, he keeps going. He evacuates his wounded, but he keeps going, and stays through the night with his men. That's a true hero. Thanks to your brother (and you.) You honor his memory.

Skysoldier, all I can offer is a prayer of thanksgiving to The Almighty for your daughter's happiness and one of blessing for your brother's soul.

Like I've said before, if we ever meet you ain't paying.

I really love that description of his heroism. It just kept going. He was wounded, he kept going. He goes forward to protect his men, he keeps going. He evacuates his wounded, but he keeps going, and stays through the night with his men. That's a true hero. Thanks to your brother (and you.) You honor his memory.

What is amazing, is I have been in touch with many of the members from his Platoon on that day....To a Man, they all said that if he wasn't in charge that day, that they probably wouldn't be alive!

There was also a Medic named Billy Comer, who also got the Distinguished Cross for that day. Billy Comer came home to Tennessee, and lived the same turbulent life as my brother. He died an alcoholic like my brother...........................and no one knew he received the Distinguished Service Cross, not even his family, until he passed away!

In any other war, they would have come home and been offered the best jobs in corporate America.....because they were true leaders. But the tragedy of Vietnam, as I see it, is that the true leaders of my generation either died in Vietnam......or when they came home.

May your brother rest in peace. You're right about the turbulence facing those who'd seen so much having to come home to a country that just plain didn't give a shit. I have several friends who went back for multiple tours and to a one (those still alive that is) are still messed up.

Thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Some of us cared, but I do know we were a minority.

+100 Although I never served, my best friend as a kid was in Da Nang during the Tet Offensive, serving proudly in the USMC! A lot of my college buddies were ROTC and ended up in 'Nam after graduation. The first wake I ever attended was someone I didn't know well (he moved into my town in senior year of high school) but he was in my homeroom. He enlisted in the USMC and was KIA.

Some of us have a lot of respect for what you folks did and we didn't hide it. It's just too bad that so many took their political views out on the Troops returning home.

Thanks for sharing the story, he was quite the hero indeed!

[halfmast]

Happy B'day to your Daughter.

Sky, I raised a torch for John with you today, like most days. I know there is even more to John's story than what you've told. He was the kind of guy/gal the American Military is all about. Getting hit only made him fight harder, mad as hell, and he didn't believe for one minute that anyone was going to put him down.

It's too bad that America couldn't save John after they used him up. He gave everything to his country and us.

He'd be proud of you too Sky. He'd bust your balls and put you down, but all the time he'd be cheering for what you did in a couple of tours during and after Tet 68. What's a big brother for anyway!!! *S*[smile]

It's good you guys had some time together before you lost him. If I feel this much admiration for him, I can't imagine what you feel.

Thanks Sky.

do da, do da, day.[wink] Brother!

Wow! Very impressive and a shame he wasn't properly treated upon his return. RIP to him.

Also, happy birthday to your daughter! Go buy her some Geritol.

I had a chance to meet Skysoldier today and he talked about his families service to this country not just his brother or his sacrifice. It's men and women like this that define what the USA stands for and I for one am very thankful for his families service and dedication.

Thank you for sharing and thank you for your service,

Tom

I had a chance to meet Skysoldier today and he talked about his families service to this country not just his brother or his sacrifice. It's men and women like this that define what the USA stands for and I for one am very thankful for his families service and dedication.

Thank you for sharing and thank you for your service,

Tom

+1 Tom

Was thinking of something Skysoldier said that made me laugh because I have the exact feelings. And I mean no disrespect for those who think it appropriate and proper. Somehow when the "Welcome Home" thing has been said to me in the past, I say with great appreciation: "Thank You" but nonetheless feel it a hollow and much too little and too late a greeting. But that's just me. Likewise these welcome home parades that happened a few years ago for Vietnam Veterans. Too little too late. Again, just me.

I was with Skysoldier at a club one night, and the young blonde bartender told us her Dad was a Vietnam vet, and then told us... "Welcome Home'. I said to her.... "Where were you in 1968"????

I was with Skysoldier at a club one night, and the young blonde bartender told us her Dad was a Vietnam vet, and then told us... "Welcome Home'. I said to her.... "Where were you in 1968"????

From the stories you have told me about after you came home, it's no wonder nobody welcomed you home!

[laugh2][laugh2][laugh2][laugh2][laugh2]

All I know about after I came home is what people tell me. I certianly don't remember any of it. I enlisted in 67, got out in '70. Then there was 71, 72 and 73. From about 74 on I remember what I was doing.

All I know about after I came home is what people tell me. I certianly don't remember any of it. I enlisted in 67, got out in '70. Then there was 71, 72 and 73. From about 74 on I remember what I was doing.

A natural reaction.......I have some blackouts too!

Like driving 1200 miles to Laredo to pick Peyote.....I can remember all the trips down there, but I can't remember any of the trips coming back!

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Back
Top Bottom