• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A lot of questions on building an AR

paracarry

NES Member
I finally took the plunge and bought a stripped AR15 lower and upper. And yes I used the search function on this site. Now a little history on my self and what I want to build. I have never been a big fan of the AR, carrying one on my shoulder for 4 years in the service in the early 80's they didn't do much for me. they have come along way since then, so what the hell. I will be using it for target shooting and I am kind of an accuracy nut. I am in no rush to build this, as I have the money I will pick things up, I want quality parts and match grade accuracy. I will probably be going with a Timmney trigger to start. I know there are a lot to choose from, so any suggestions of manufacturers and websites will be appreciated, I also want a stainless barrel probably 20". So please chime in from lower parts kits on up. Thanks for any input.

P.S If I need a SHTF rifle I will just pick one of those off the battlefield.

Like you, I bought a lower and thought I would build something over time. I sort of did, but be prepared to have the pace at which you acquire things to increase exponentially as you get more excited about completing the build.
I am not an AR expert, but here's a few things I did.
First, I watched the ITS Tactical DIY build video series. Look here
I then spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted for functionality and look. You seem to have a good idea on a barrel. Like you, I wanted accuracy and found a good barrel at AR15 Performance. Many people swear by many different brands so poke around. I know Green Mountain Barrels out of New Hampshire is supposed to be great too. They just didn't have what I was looking for (18" fluted, rifle length gas)
Check out the group buy section and you might find some good deals. I just grabbed a CMC Trigger and it's awesome....awesome meaning way, way better than the LPK trigger (Rock River Arms was recommended to me...but there are several good ones..
I am a huge fan of Primary Arms and bought many things through them (including optic).
For inexpensive stuff, Palmetto State Armory usually has good sales. Your mileage may vary though. There is a whole thread on this site about them and their deals.
I went with an Ace Skeleton Stock and so far I am happy with it.
You'll want a free float handguard if accuracy is your prime focus. There are MANY to chose from. I went with Diamondhead, but certainly everyone has different tastes and needs.
You'll find the build is easier than you think...and very satisfying. Good luck!

look at the Gisselle triggers over the Timmney. I have both and the Timmney wont keep a set in my dpms ar10. the Gisselle DMR holds up much better. A Stainless 20 in will be a heavy bastard. After doing a few classes I have come to like a good light weight barrel. I made up a 16 in AR with a light weight barrel from Remsport, and it out shoots my upper with a 20 in stainless service rifle comp upper. Make sure to match the twist to what you will be shooting 1/9 seems to work the best over all. 1/7 's like the heavy bullets, but groups open up with the 55g surplus. I have a 1950 vintage barrel that is 1/12 and that shoots everything like crap, but even 62g bullets will keyhole

For a match/bench gun you'll probably want a heavy profile stainless barrel from a reputable manufacturer. Lilja precision comes to mind. I'd also through a magpul PRS stock on there, its heavy and very adjustable.

I have to admit I don't love my giselle trigger, I may send it back. Its good, but not $250 good.

Good luck

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Welcome to yet another addicting quest, building in the AR platform. Wife and I are up to 4 builds each. Stump is 100% correct on curbing your excitement. Quick and simple advice/suggestion is make it what you want. Research, research, research shop SMARTLY and last but not least have FUN.
Currently, I almost done with an MK12 MOD1 build, well closet thing to it of what I want it to be.

If I were building one where accuracy was my main concern I would get the best barrel/bolt combination from one of the higher end makers. Next would be the FCG, a lot of options with this, I have Gissel's in two of my ARs, very nice triggers and I have also used the ALG Defense triggers as they are a good improvement over the standard FCG but I don't know if they would be the best choice for a target gun. I don't even buy LPKs anymore because I don't use a lot of the parts anyway. I have a Magpul MIAD grip and enhanced trigger guard on every AR I own, it's what I like. As said before I would put a Magpul PRS on the back and a slick sided free float tube on the front and call it a day, the two that I have experience with are the JP and Daniel Defense, The DD gives you the option if adding rail sections if you need two, both have a full rail at the top, Im not sure if the JP does.

Have fun with your build.

So far all the input has been very helpful, In my mind I sort of know what I want, it's more of where to get it, by heavy barrel I don't mean the kind that look as big around as a cannon, I like the round hand guards, wont be putting on any accessories, it will be scoped, and will probably never see iron sights. and plan on using the Magpul stock adj for comb and length of pull. Thanks for all the input, this build will be done slowly over time, I have a couple of other rifles on my list, one being a Savage in 308 and a Springfield Armory M1A. so i'm not in a rush. feel free to add to it. I am also impressed not one smart ass answer yet, that has to be a record for NES.

Any LPK will do. Personally, I say Geiselle if you like two-stage triggers, CMC if you like a single stage.

For an affordable barrel, check out Black Hole Weaponry, Rainier Match, White Oak Armament, Nordic, etc..
For the best ($$) match barrels, look at Krieger, Wilson, Walther-Lothar, Shinen, Lilja, Pac-Nor, Hart.

You'll want a 416R stainless, 1:8 or 1:7 twist. The faster twist lets you stabilize the big 77gr SMK's, which are the most stable .223 projectile at longer ranges. 18" or 20" is up to you -- won't change accuracy, just velocity.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/235080-my-last-ar-build
my last build was on the idea of where you are going. I started with a stripped flat top and a stripped YHM lower. Then the wilson match barrel with matched bolt. I did get impatient with barrel wait time when I ordered. I tossed around the idea of krieger or saturn butr in the end my skill set and ammo choice the wilson will out perform me for a long time to come....
I do plan on upgrading my grip and stock at some point but thats dictated by the amount of time I am going to be able to actually get out and shoot this thing...
I think with a little practice and some better projectile choices/loads this rifle could easily shoot 1moa or better. for now my close to MOA rifle makes me smile. Hope to get out to 600 yards with it at some point.... maybe next year.
have fun and looking forward to the up dates
You might also want to talk to Franco @ pembroke he built up a M1a for one of the guys and it shoots very well.

I was just on the Wilson website, those barrels look pretty good, What do you guys think of the .223 Wylde Chamber and does it make a difference.

Last edited:
I was just on the Wilson website, those barrels look pretty good, What do you guys think of the .223 Wylde Chamber and does it make a difference.

Why not, then you don't have to worry about the whole "don't shoot 5.56 in a .223 barrel" thing. I don't know if there is any accuracy benefit to the Wylde however. But then again of you just get a 5.56 chamber and not have that worry either. that's the probelem with ARs...too many damn choices lol

Last edited:
The wylde chamber covers axlot of ground basically its a chamber with a lead angle of the Nato chamber and free bore of 224" .....going from memory.
I don't know much about the other opptions but it seems wylde chamber is pretty common. Both my match rifle and varmint build have Wilson match barrels with wylde chamber. I went with 1/8 twist as I will shoot more bullets on the lighter side @ 200 yards or less than @ 2,3&600 yards.... only got out once this year sadly.

Wylde chamber as it was explained to me is to get the best performance from 5.56 and .223 .
I'll say this. If your building it to be the best rifle you can. Your probably gonna start reloading if you don't. Pic a chamber .223 or 5.56 and load your rounds to those specs .

I'd get a Wylde chamber or a 556 chamber, but I never want a 223 chamber if I can avoid it. You can shoot 223 or 556 from a wylde or 556 chamber, but not from a 223 - well not if you value your rifle, and maybe your health.

I have a Wilson Combat barrel in the 300 BLK, it is a work of art and shoots excellent.

What's an approximate ar15 build time (assuming all parts and tools on hand) for someone with a working knowledge and past experience in doing builds?

yvasata3.jpg

uruqevu5.jpg

I built at tack driver off a group buy stripped lower. Geissele SSA trigger. Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit complete upper (get the chromed bcg). 20" air-gauged and cryo-treated heavy match stainless barrel that Rra oem's from Wilson Arms (note not WC) 1:8 twist. .223 Wylde chamber. Nikon m-223 scope & it's more accurate than I am. Best groups ~5/8ths inch @ 100 yds.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:
yvasata3.jpg

uruqevu5.jpg

I built at tack driver off a group buy stripped lower. Geissele SSA trigger. Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit complete upper (get the chromed bcg). 20" air-gauged and cryo-treated heavy match stainless barrel that Rra oem's from Wilson Arms (note not WC) 1:8 twist. .223 Wylde chamber. Nikon m-223 scope & it's more accurate than I am. Best groups ~5/8ths inch @ 100 yds.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
pretty much what I built useing the wilson arms barrel from RRA.

I was looking at a complete upper from Armalite almost identical to the one above, for about $600, I don't think I could build it for less than that.

I have built a few and one I specifically did for longer range. Nikon P223 4-12x40 and a Wilson Match 24" .223 Wilde 1:8 stainless bull barrel. I'd say know what you want it for and built it that way. I have a few others in different layouts but I will say this rifle sadly will never do anything but bench shooting. I was thinking of it as a hunter at first for yotes or other vermin but I really underestimated the barrel when I ordered it online. The rifle is just your standard AR build other than the barrel and the damn thing is a tank and weighs a TON. So, that said its a bench gun for the rest of its life. It does shoot well though. I have tried 10-12 different brands and weights of match ammo. I should really start reloading for it!!! That said it seems to like the Winchester Match 69 grain best. All the other brands were in the 1.5-2.5" range at 200 yards but it is consistently in the 1.25"-1.5" or better range with the Winchester at 200 yards.

I have built a few and one I specifically did for longer range. Nikon P223 4-12x40 and a Wilson Match 24" .223 Wilde 1:8 stainless bull barrel. I'd say know what you want it for and built it that way. I have a few others in different layouts but I will say this rifle sadly will never do anything but bench shooting. I was thinking of it as a hunter at first for yotes or other vermin but I really underestimated the barrel when I ordered it online. The rifle is just your standard AR build other than the barrel and the damn thing is a tank and weighs a TON. So, that said its a bench gun for the rest of its life. It does shoot well though. I have tried 10-12 different brands and weights of match ammo. I should really start reloading for it!!! That said it seems to like the Winchester Match 69 grain best. All the other brands were in the 1.5-2.5" range at 200 yards but it is consistently in the 1.25"-1.5" or better range with the Winchester at 200 yards.

That's pretty darn good I would say. I don't know how much you can improve on 1.25" group @ 200 yards with out some heavy higher end bullets. Friend of mine uses nosler partitions 60 grainers I think and some Sierra 80 grain bullets. Partitions are a bit pricy. I have tried many different bullets in my service rifle. For the money hornady 75 gn match and 75gn Max have proven better than I can deliver so spending more on a bullet makes little sense for me.

I need to start reloading so I can really play around. I have Hornady Vmax rounds in 55 grain that shoot great as does a Hornady 78 grain. I have weights all in between and because they are all different brands the best I have found is my 1:8 seems to like the 69 grains the best and I guess that is what I would have expected.

Its a standard stock LPK trigger (with some mods done), so-so scope and a so-so shooter so I am happy with the results :)

I was looking at a complete upper from Armalite almost identical to the one above, for about $600, I don't think I could build it for less than that.

Depending on barrel choice you could.
That is tough to beat if your trying to build one. Figure just a decent barrel will run you 250 retail on the cheaper end. You might score a deal on the upper reciever...then you need bolt and carrier.
even @ wholesale prices on RRA it came in just under 600 to build or buy the predator 20" model AR0565X add 50$ for the chromed BCG which I love on my service rifle....so much easier to clean. Carbon just does not like to stick to it.

Last edited:
Very impresseive, start to range report. Thanks for pics and write-up!
I will be curious to see how the v-max ammo works for you.
I Wilson .223 Upper shoot's 1moa at 200 yards using Winchester Ballisitc Silvertips.
I don't shoot a lot of em because they are $$ but they sure shoot well.
This JP upper shoot's lights out too!

Screenshot2012-10-17at34248PM.png

Very impresseive, start to range report. Thanks for pics and write-up!
I will be curious to see how the v-max ammo works for you.
I Wilson .223 Upper shoot's 1moa at 200 yards using Winchester Ballisitc Silvertips.
I don't shoot a lot of em because they are $$ but they sure shoot well.
This JP upper shoot's lights out too!

Screenshot2012-10-17at34248PM.png

thats nice, Those silver tips are the nosler silver tips with the black coating correct? Im eager to get my "wilson arms barreled "varmint" upper out to the range. Got a few different bullets to try. On the heavy side I got some of the Vmax, nosler partitions, 64 gr nosler bonded and assorted sierras. wont be doing any development anytime soon though.

In my 20" 1:8 AR (see pics above), I've found that the 53gr Hornady Superformance Varmint is the most-accurate, followed closely by the 55gr V-max (z-max is the same). I shot some of the higher-weight stuff, and didn't see the benefit. But that was when I was still new. I recently picked up some 75gr Hornady Match ammo, to try next outing.

I have to admit I don't love my giselle trigger, I may send it back. Its good, but not $250 good.

What don't you like about it?

I have a two stage adjustable match trigger from them and I'm quite happy with it. It's *worlds* better than the "match" trigger that came in my Bushmaster DCM/CMP gun. The Giselle is very crisp, no grittyness, and weight adjustable in every way I might want.

Having said that, I've not used any other high quality aftermarket triggers, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Back
Top Bottom