A little piece of family history...

Sheriff9mm

NES Member
So I was rummaging through my dad's gun safe, and behind a couple of boxes of ammunition I found this little gem. I wasn't all that familiar with the weapon, so I asked my old man about it.

Radom1.jpg

By first glance, it would appear to be an early Colt 1911 (non-A1), but it is not. It's a Polish F.B. Radom VIS Mod. 35 9mm produced before World War II for the German Army. According to my dad, when my grandfather was in the US Army, 82nd Airborne, he was briefly sent into Poland where his unit was able to capture a weapons factory. My grandfather confiscated the weapon and returned to the United States with it. I was a little skeptical of the story, until my father pulled out the transfer paperwork from the War Department signed by the European Theater Command designate from his file. My dad then handed me the pistol and told me to go get an FA-10; it was my turn to hold onto the family heirloom. [smile]

Radom2.jpg

Radom3.jpg

A few things that I noticed when I first handled the Radom was that it was a considerably heavier gun than my SW1911 (Steel vs Scandium). There are small Nazi Eagle stamps with the number 77 under them on both the slide and frame assemblies. Instead of a thumb safety mounted on the frame, it instead has a decock lever on the left side of the slide assembly. The stack magazines hold 8 rounds. Unlike the traditional 1911, there is no barrel bushing system. Also, the grip angle feels more perpendicular to the bore than the American counterpart. Other than these observations, it's a very striking copy.

Great heirloom! Thats an awesome story to go with it too! Having the documentation is neat.

I've got a couple heirlooms my grandfather gave me, a S&W Model 36 that was his back up gun when he was on the local PD, and a Hi-Standard Model B. The history behind yours is absolutely awesome though.

Great piece Sheriff, I have one that is a little earlier than your. There are actual several variations the first has a slot cut at bottom of the back of the grip for a butt stock to slide in and create a little carbine. The second has 3 levers on the left side...the slide release, safety/decocker and where those pins are on your frame under the decocker a take down lever for dis-assembly. Yours is the 3rd or 2 lever version. As the war progressed the nazis cut parts and quality when possible. The grips are a bakelite material not plastic and fairly valuable if in good condition (no chips or cracks). You should have it checked out and if all is sound take it for a spin. Mine is a great shooter.

DSCF0063.jpg

It has all the german eagles, swastikas etc on it but unfortunately like so many weapons used in the war mine is a mixmaster of serial numbers. But I like it, like yours it is a bring back but no paper trail (I did get it from the man that brought it back so I tend to believe the silly story behind it).

Anyways you have a nice piece of history and one of the best made handguns in the world for that time...anything made in Radom, Poland is great. Enjoy it!

That's an awesome story to go along with an awesome gun. I would get a display case made for it to display the gun and the transfer papers as well. That would be a really nice way to show off your piece of family history!

Thanks for sharing that with us here. Something super special about getting handed down like that.

Wow! The most important thing for you to do is to say "thanks, Dad!"

Take him out to dinner at his favorite place and thank him.

Thanks all for your kind words. I'm really glad that I can hold onto this piece of history so that I can maybe past it down to my kids (when and if I have kids). My dad was glad as well when I took him out to dinner to say thank you (kudos for the idea, M1911).

Really the only questions I have about the weapon are: What is it's approximately value and are replacement parts readily available? I don't think this is going to be a shooter, but in case I do and something goes wrong, I want to be able to repair it. I'm probably going to take Kenny's advise and keep it in a display case though.

They usually start at about $500 and can go way up depending on year, condition, etc.
Yours looks great and plus it has capture papers. I can't imagine how much more that adds to the value but I know its a lot.

Its great having bring backs handed down.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom