A gun you're about to give up on?

For me it is my Para Warthog. it is a fun gun to shoot and pretty accurate when I can get it to feed a round. I have put a lot of time into it and tried every type of ammo I could find and make. I probably should bring it to one of the smiths that specialize in 1911 style guns.

The think that is really odd it it will feed snap caps all day long with no issues.
I should have returned it when I first bought it by I was certain I would be able to resolve the issue. Now it just sits in the safe. I paid a good amount of money for it.

Did you polish the ramp?

Rockrivr1 - we the people with inaccurate Mosin carbines require more information on what you did to yours.

Ha! Yep, I definitely had accuracy problems. So the Mosin Nagants have free floating barrels, which is supposed to improve accuracy. When you install the the barrel into the Archangel stock you only use the two screws you took out of the wood stock. One is on top where the bolt slides into the chamber and the other is underneath into a mount right before the bbl starts. This didn't work for me so Archangel provides a tensioner in every package, but specifically state it shouldn't be needed with the Mosin. It's interesting though because they provide it anyway.

The tensioner is a small rectangle box that has a hex screw on one end. There is a slot mid way down the Archange stock where this tensioner slides in. Once the tensioner is in place you install the barrel in the stock over the tensioner. The screw has a cutout in the stock so you can see it on the underside of the stock and it can be turned to expand the tensioner. With the screw all the way down on the tensioner it does not touch the barrel, but as you turn the screw the tensioner expands putting pressure on the barrel so it's no longer free floating.

Because Archangel said it wasn't used with the Mosin I didn't even install it before I mounted the barrel. At the range I took it apart, mounted the tensioner and then put the rifle back together. As I turned the screw applying more tension against the barrel, my groups closed up. I put a good amount of tension against the barrel to get it to function accurately. I guess each barrel is different so this happens to work for mine.

Would have to think there is a way to do this with a normal Mosin in it's original stock. Might help with your accuracy as well.

Last edited:
Ha! Yep, I definitely had accuracy problems. So the Mosin Nagants have free floating barrels, which is supposed to improve accuracy. When you install the the barrel into the Archangel stock you only use the two screws you took out of the wood stock. One is on top where the bolt slides into the chamber and the other is underneath into a mount right before the bbl starts. This didn't work for me so Archangel provides a tensioner in every package, but specifically state it shouldn't be needed with the Mosin. It's interesting though because they provide it anyway.

The tensioner is a small rectangle box that has a hex screw on one end. There is a slot mid way down the Archange stock where this tensioner slides in. Once the tensioner is in place you install the barrel in the stock over the tensioner. The screw has a cutout in the stock so you can see it on the underside of the stock and it can be turned to expand the tensioner. With the screw all the way down on the tensioner it does not touch the barrel, but as you turn the screw the tensioner expands putting pressure on the barrel so it's no longer free floating.

Because Archangel said it wasn't used with the Mosin I didn't even install it before I mounted the barrel. At the range I took it apart, mounted the tensioner and then put the rifle back together. As I turned the screw applying more tension against the barrel, my groups closed up. I put a good amount of tension against the barrel to get it to function accurately. I guess each barrel is different so this happens to work for mine.

Would have to think there is a way to do this with a normal Mosin in it's original stock. Might help with your accuracy as well.
The method of doing this with a regular stock is inserting shims between the barrel and stock. You can actually find accurizing kits with various shim thicknesses cut to fit for sale online

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

P22 couldn't take the guy's $ fast enough.
"THOUGHT" I wanted a STAR MODEL B but after tearing it apart a couple times and Searching for an Extractor to finally find one and it got more FTE's than Before....BYE BYE [crying]
This may have convinced me that my 9mm tokarev is good enough. It's not as pretty as a star b, but it goes bang every time

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

The method of doing this with a regular stock is inserting shims between the barrel and stock. You can actually find accurizing kits with various shim thicknesses cut to fit for sale online

Or just cut file card, and use enough layers to do it.

If you want a quality job, make an epoxy area to do the same.

And, it isn't just for Mosins.

Also, slug your barrel, get/make ammo that fits (proper barrel diameter). If that's too much, simply get a Finnish Mosin, many of them have tighter bores (my M24 is .309" bore, looks like a rifled sewer pipe, shoots well).

Is expending no effort and making no progress since 1998 the same as giving up??

Sometime in the late 90s, one of the C&R importers was blowing out the end of a shipment of Czech Vz24 Mausers. They were advertised as "Good - Cracked Stock", which from this company meant working, but uuugggly condition. They were 5 for $150 shipped, so I didn't much mind. I picked out two, and sold the rest to coworkers. About a year later I still hadn't fired either of mine, and sold the uglier of the two to my dad's buddy. I had checked headspace on all 5, so I wasn't all that concerned about them. (idiot...)

When I did finally get around to shooting mine, it did not go well. Fired, but extracting the fired case was almost impossible. When it did finally pop out of the chamber, the brass had what I can only describe as a wart on the side of the case body. On closer inspection, there was a corresponding divot in the chamber wall. I bitched about it on one of the C&R forums, and another member offered me a takeoff barrel from a Vz24 that he was turning into a hunting rifle. No idea where the barrel will headspace, but for free, it's worth trying.

Well, I ran across the uninstalled replacement barrel last month while cleaning out the shop. Haven't done a thing with it since '98 or '99, and I bought a much nicer Mauser in 8mm to help shoot up that ammo. Not sure at this point I'll do anything with it. The action isn't a great candidate for sporterizing, as there's below the wood line pitting on the surface. Plus I'm a little too left handed to put that much effort into a Mauser, when I still have other projects hanging fire.

Can't give up on it cause it was my late uncles but man what a POS this Mossberg 353T .22 is! Trigger pull is a mile long, it fires out of battery, the mag falls out, it stovepipes constantly, it's slam fired a couple times... But it's really pretty and I would love to get it functional again
fc426af9b3cf2b1d465e6499318ff3b3.jpg

Can't give up on it cause it was my late uncles but man what a POS this Mossberg 353T .22 is! Trigger pull is a mile long, it fires out of battery, the mag falls out, it stovepipes constantly, it's slam fired a couple times... But it's really pretty and I would love to get it functional again
fc426af9b3cf2b1d465e6499318ff3b3.jpg

Have you broken it down yet ?
Sounds like it's suffering from a case of ancient grease syndrome.

Have you broken it down yet ?
Sounds like it's suffering from a case of ancient grease syndrome.

Yup a few times years ago when I first got into guns heavy. I think I just need to change all the springs out honesty but shortly after I got an M1A and AR and things got out of control... Now with a backyard range at my new house I'm getting back into the .22s

The out of battery and slam fires would lead me to think the firing pin is gunked up .
Possibly the extractor as well
That old black grease that we used to use turns into some sort of leather like substance after a few decades.
On some old guns i've had to use a dental pick and scrape out solid chunks.
On real bad ones I have dropped the bolt into a tray of solvent for a week or three just to start.

For me its an old stevens Model 87B .22lr. Its a blast to shoot but has feeding issues, Gets jammed up to the point where I have to take the stock off to clear. Plus it likes to go into full auto.

1903 Winchester for me. It's a 22 Winchester Automatic, so ammunition is scarce, but out there. Needs a few parts and a stock, and this stuff is near to impossible to find.

I've got a few others that were parts guns in the shop as well. 1892 Winchester with just bout every part missing (got a barreled receiver), a couple of Rem 514's, a Rem 788 in 44 Mag that needs a ton of parts and a few others.

Aw man, my Iver Johnson m1 Carbine.
Had an itch for carbines, REALLY wanted one. Honestly it was a great gun in its own respects (low recoil, great accuracy, tac setup), but the damn thing would jam up after about 2 mags tops. And forget about using 30 rounders. Tried everything to fix it up to no avail. Felt like the wood stock was worse off on it, too!
Also have a mosin 91/30 in arch angel that I'll never get around to finishing as well. Probably going to sell for a Remington 700 or savage axis. Mainly because I own the m44 and find that 10x better. Especially in its sporterized stock.

d797e3e0b36e6bc7b20a62de7e293f9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rockrivr1 - we the people with inaccurate Mosin carbines require more information on what you did to yours.

For me it was a Remington R1 1911. It had some really sharp edges that cut up my hand and drew blood within 100 rounds. It had all sorts of failures with stock mags and even with WC and Chip mags. Ended up selling it here because I'm just not in the fan boy club that likes to tweak 1911s and fine tune them.

yep, my stock mags wont feed Hollow Point Rounds at all. THey will feed FMJ all day. I have 2 10 rd Chip mags and first time out i had some issues feeding with Fiocchi ammo.

An officer size 1911 I had was a jamomatic!
Never any other 1911, but a full size.

Since then I have appreciated how few parts and how simple Glocks are.

I do like the grip of the S&W M&P fullsize and the HK VP9.

When Glock gets with the grip program. Look out!

I compare every semi-automatic pistol to them.

I'm not a fanboy of any company. But I do see how simple and easy it is to work on them.

Glocks are not everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom