• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A Good Spot to Bring My Boys To Fish

TWtommers

Instructor
NES Member
I have two boys, 5.5 and 2.5 who both want to "fish". I plan on making a little trip to Bass Pro with them to get some appropriate little kid fishing gear and then I want to bring them somewhere fairly quiet to plunk the hooks in the water.

Now, I am no fisherman so I will not be angling myself and I don't anticipate the boys will do a lot either but I'm hoping for a spot wihth few distractions in the South Worcester County area. Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be the beach at South pond in Brimfield. There is a beach there that you can fish from. When you go to Bass Pro get some power bait in FLO green, FLO orange, and rainbow colors. It is like cocaine for trout. They love it. South pond is a decent place to catch trout but it is a brown trout water so there is a minimum size for the brown trout. There are some nice trout caught off the beach and the state stocks tiger trout there. Make sure that you go light with the line. 4lb is good. 6lb max for trout.

Bob

I'm not in S Central but from N Central Ma and I'd be glad to bring you and the kids to the pond at the club in Gardner, it's quite and plenty of access with no steep banks. Let me know.

If you want your kids to CATCH a mess of sunfish, rather than just "go fishing" try Pratt Pond in Upton. There's a great spot called Sunfish Rock right in the cemetary. I live in Grafton. PM me and let me know what you're looking for, and I can give you a few pointers.

If you want your kids to CATCH a mess of sunfish, rather than just "go fishing" try Pratt Pond in Upton. There's a great spot called Sunfish Rock right in the cemetary. I live in Grafton. PM me and let me know what you're looking for, and I can give you a few pointers.

i have driven by this place a ton of times on the way to a freinds house i allways thought it looked fairly interesting but never tried it out

there is another pond further up the road right before grafton gun club that has a beach and i have caught some bass and pickerel there before it seems like fairly good fishing i havent been there since last spring though so it could of gotten quite weedy and might be unfishable though

Get some simple gear for them, push button reel combo, hooks and bobbers.
Grab a dozen night crawlers, and head to any pond around, they all have some kind of pan fish.
Trust me, your kids won't care what they catch. Bring a camera to save these memories, it will be worth it when they get older.

i have driven by this place a ton of times on the way to a freinds house i allways thought it looked fairly interesting but never tried it out

there is another pond further up the road right before grafton gun club that has a beach and i have caught some bass and pickerel there before it seems like fairly good fishing i havent been there since last spring though so it could of gotten quite weedy and might be unfishable though

That would be "Silver Lake" (lake??) here in Grafton. There are bass and panfish in both. But for shear numbers of sunfish to keep little kids busy, you won't do much better than that spot in Upton. Parking on the side of Route 140 for Silver "Lake" (still have a hard time saying that with a straight face) isn't as good, and the only open shoreline is on the beach.

With kids that young you may want to grind the barbs off of the hooks. You might lose a fish but the hooks will come out of fingers a lot easier. I used to do this for the Cub Scout fishing derby.

With kids that young you may want to grind the barbs off of the hooks. You might lose a fish but the hooks will come out of fingers a lot easier. I used to do this for the Cub Scout fishing derby.

That's great idea.

We ended up going to Buffumville and fished there. Didn't catch anything but a headache. My oldest had fun but I definitely need to bring him somewhere that he's nearly guaranteed to catch something as he go bored pretty fast.

I got the oldest a Shakespeare combo with a push button reel. It came with a real basic tackle kit which was fine. The youngest got a Spongebob rod and reel with a weighted piece of rubber on the end. He didn't know the difference.

Next trip will be me and the 5 year old. This time I'll be getting a rod as there's nothing more boring than watching someone fish.

If you aren't going to eat them, but catch and release (using barbless hooks is a good idea), go to either lower or upper Stoneville Reservoir in Auburn, both on Rochdale Street.

Also:
Lake Manchaug Sutton/Douglas
Whitins Reservoir ??
Ramshorn Pond Douglas
Lake Singletary Sutton? Douglas?
Electric Light Pond Auburn
Buffumville
Stiles Reservoir
Lake Lashaway
Quabog Pond
Big and Little Alum

Auburn Sportsman's Club has a fishing pond with trout if you want to join a nearby club, with shooting AND fishing AND archery AND horseshoes AND other activities.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom