A good day shooting USPSA at Hahhvid, thanks guys

Yes there were some traffic jams.
Yes there was some drama about stage 2.

But having recently gotten experience on the other side of the match coin I can fully appreciate what it takes to stage a USPSA match and I'm cutting the HAS some slack. All of the stages were interesting and provided challenges and a couple of ways to approach things...well, almost all of the stages [wink]. I got to shoot on a great squad who all helped each other out, time well spent! And even with the stage 2 drama the scores were still posted in short order after the late finish, thanks Gary!

Mr SJan was kind enough to shoot video of my runs, thanks Sean [cheers]

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did they throw out stage 2?

Dear Mr bill o,

Thank you for your inquiry, I have forwarded it to our technical department and received the following response:

Stage 2 was most likely removed from the official standings because there was no perforation zone or hardcover separating the scoring portion of the target from the penalty target which overlaid it. This lead to scoring inconsistencies as the competition progressed. It was also a Virginia Count stage but did not seem to meet the requirements of same as laid out in the most recent edition of the USPSA rule book.

of course I do not represent the Harvard Action Shooters and any material contained in this post is my own opinion with no warranties expressed or implied.

good day sir.

There was considerable inconsistency in Stage 2. I was in the first squad that shot it, and we scored anything touching the edge (the one without the well defined border) as a noshoot. The next squad scored only hits that were completely within the white as a noshoot.

This could actually make a big difference for those few shooters who did not zero the stage.

I suspect that Harvard might have overlooked the border issue, but the blatant difference in scoring was too much to sweep under the rug.

There was considerable inconsistency in Stage 2. I was in the first squad that shot it, and we scored anything touching the edge (the one without the well defined border) as a noshoot. The next squad scored only hits that were completely within the white as a noshoot.

This could actually make a big difference for those few shooters who did not zero the stage.

I suspect that Harvard might have overlooked the border issue, but the blatant difference in scoring was too much to sweep under the rug.

I was in your squad , nice to meet you ( bright orange shirt, with the panicked I dont now what the hell I'm doing look ). I didn't recognize you. Hopefully I didn't hold things up to much

Stage 2 was a pretty discouraging 1st attempt at a ipsc match!

Last edited:
Great match, except for the aforementioned stage 2. When over half of the shooters zero a stage, (65% in the iron sight divisions) something is wrong. Also, I personally hate when shooters are forced to engage targets right on the 180. I just don't see what it adds to the match, and it increases the chance of a safety violation.

Not to take away from all the hard work the HAS folks put in and the awesome matches they crank out every month. I just was surprised this stage made it through their usually excellent QC.

Great match, except for the aforementioned stage 2. When over half of the shooters zero a stage, (65% in the iron sight divisions) something is wrong. Also, I personally hate when shooters are forced to engage targets right on the 180. I just don't see what it adds to the match, and it increases the chance of a safety violation.

Not to take away from all the hard work the HAS folks put in and the awesome matches they crank out every month. I just was surprised this stage made it through their usually excellent QC.

I agree that the Harvard crew does a great job each and every month and most shooters do not realize the work involved and the days off given up. This match was no different, great RO's and a good match overall.
The stage 2 layout was not up to the norm and it was too close to the 180 for comfort. Understanding that they wanted to limit time to run the squads they made it Virginia count to stop a shooter from hosing all day. They could have set the bottom as hard cover where a full diameter is scored as a miss and eliminate the scoring issue.
There was another issue with the swinger on stage 1 changing speed on our squad and part of another squad after being rebuilt and fixing the weight. We watch the swinger as the squad before us shot, the swinger almost came to a stop. After work was done, it sped up and really never slowed much in a average shooters time on the stage.
This is just my observations and is not meant to disparage Harvard in any way. I am thankful that they run these matches in the unfriendly gun state of Ma.

Last edited:
Man it looks like fun...one of these days soon I'll trade avoiding baby spit-up for avoiding no shoots. Nice shooting BostonBullit and SJan.

Too bad stage two was all jacked up and needed to be thrown out. Even off the books I think it taught some people they need to learn the ol aim and squeeze! There are some circumstances when there is just no subsitute for accuracy.

I wonder how many found out that fiber optic front sights are not always optimal.

I have a fiber front sight and did reasonably well on the stage (2 misses, 0 no-shoots, and the misses can be completely blamed on me jerking the trigger). I think it was mostly a matter of whether your sights were adjusted correctly, taking careful aim, and trigger control.

I think I had four M's. I can definitely attest that to jerking the trigger. After I got about half way down I felt like a turtle and needed to speed up. Plus the serious ripper the RO let out when I was setting up for the 5th target didn't help much. I had all I could do to not burst out laughing! I almost stopped and said really? You need to rip ass right now?!? [puke2][rofl] He totally did that on purpose too.

Craig did a nice job shooting it. Perfect execution man!

Great match as always at Harvard. Glad that stage got tossed.

Last edited:
I think I had four M's. I can definitely attest that to jerking the trigger. After I got about half way down I felt like a turtle and needed to speed up. Plus the serious ripper the RO let out when I was setting up for the 5th target didn't help much. I had all I could do to not burst out laughing! I almost stopped and said really? You need to rip ass right now?!? [puke2][rofl] He totally did that on purpose too.

Yeah, Matt -- a flatulent RO is not an acceptable alibi! [laugh2] And when the offending RO came up to shoot, you grabbed the timer out of my hand to "run" him and got him back, but good after "Are you ready?". I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a shooting match in my life!

Thanks for providing the best moments in an otherwise very long day.

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
:cool:

We did have a good time didn't we? I always do at Harvard. My buddy really enjoyed his first match and the gang on the squad. He's already asked how to join uspsa!

For the record i did not think the design of stage two was very good for the match but I had fun shooting it. I was glad it got tossed because of the lack of consistent scoring and the controversy... And Craig opened the can of whoopass on me on that one!!

What's wrong with FO sights? I love mine and have had good results out to 75 yds.

Our squad was the first to shoot this. Sun was bright and in front of us, those conditions with the small target, made the fiber glow to a size larger than the visible target.

Our squad was the first to shoot this. Sun was bright and in front of us, those conditions with the small target, made the fiber glow to a size larger than the visible target.
You probably shot the best of anyone on this stage. It hurt you to throw it out, but helped me and Mark.

I wish I had been there. I use the smallest FO tube I can get so I don't think this would have been a problem. Then again, I wasn't there.

PS Bright sun in front of you? In the morning the sun should have been over your left shoulder.

Fred,
The stage was set up with a free fire zone along the right side of the pit, targets on the left side, heads only, with non bordered no shoots under the head. All with barrels limiting visibility, making the stage pretty much a 180 trap. Sun was over the berm as you noted the location of it.
You would have been looking for sight black.

Last edited:
Fred,
The stage was set up with a free fire zone along the right side of the pit, targets on the left side, heads only, with non bordered no shoots under the head. All with barrels limiting visibility, making the stage pretty much a 180 trap. Sun was over the berm as you noted the location of it.

what is a non-bordered no-shoot? something other than a white target with perf? Was it just a big piece of cardboard or something?

Fred,

Tried shooting into the sun today at Harvard, no problem. The small diameter FO tube doesn't obscure the front sight at all. I had a clear black front sight to work with as well as the small red FO tube. Perhaps if I shot the actual stage I would have had problems. I am aware of difficulties with large FO tubes which is why I use the smallest I can get.

Back
Top Bottom