• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A few questions about getting an LTC in Boston

e2d

I am a resident of Boston and I am interested in applying for an LTC-Class A. I realize it will be restricted to Target or reduced to Class B, but I only want it for target shooting anyway. I have read in detail about the application process in Boston. I plan on joining a gun club (maybe Massachusetts Rifle Association) and I don’t think I’ll have trouble passing the Moon Island test. I still have a few questions that I can’t find answers for.

1. I just turned 21 and I was wondering if this would be a problem. It wouldn’t surprise me if Boston Police decided I am too young to own a gun, even though I qualify for an LTC under the MGLs. I am a college graduate and an electrical engineer but I’m still worried about being discriminated against because of my age.

2. All of my friends here are still college students (I graduated early). This means that they are not considered residents of Boston, and most aren’t even residents of Massachusetts. I understand I need two references but do they need to be Boston or Massachusetts residents? The two people I am thinking of using are New York residents and one lives in a dorm in Boston. Would this be an issue? Does the age of the references matter (they’re both 20)? Do they normally contact the references, and if they do is it by mail or phone?

3. Can anyone tell me what the interview is like at Boston Police HQ. Do they just ask about your background and such or does it get more detailed then that?

Thanks in advanced for your help.

1. I got my LTC the summer after graduating at age 22. No one even blinked at that, although I had had the same thought as you before going. What school did you graduate?

2. The references can be anyone. I don't even think mine were contacted. I used my parents as one and they live in Maryland. I think my other was a friend who was 23. 20 might not cut it so just in case they contact them you may want to use someone else.

3. The interview is basically they take you back, ask you the questions on the application verbally, and enter it into the MIRCS computer. Then they take your picture and fingerprints. I don't think mine took longer than an hour. I do recommend using the T (Ruggles stop) as parking at Boston PD HQ is extremely difficult. They really don't ask anything that isn't on the application.

I recommend
- just straight up apply for the restricted class A. They won't issue you an LTC-A ALP unless you are giving Menino under the table favors (literally), but you don't need to go for a class B or FID, they'll issue the class A.
- schedule the range test for as soon as possible after you go in. I would practice, but basically as long as you can get all the hits within about a 12x18 oval at 7 then 14 yards (12 then 18 rounds from a revolver, first 12 DA one handed, last 18 your choice at 14 yards) then you will be fine. Moon Island test and personnel were very relaxed, but be extra conscious of safety at the test as they will be required to fail you if you sweep someone or handle it unsafely. Revolver is a old BPD Ruger DA/SA service revolver.
- After about 4 weeks, call maybe once every 10 days to see if the license is in, ask them to call you when its there. They should mail it to you, but in case you're moving around, you don't want it going to the wrong place. Mine actually came in and was ready for pickup the day I moved from the address on the license. (Don't forget the change of address forms if you move, even within Boston!)
- Mass Rifle is a great club. I am a member there. Stop by on a Wednesday night or Sunday morning if you want to join up, that is when the office is open.

Thank you vellnueve for your help. I graduated from Northeastern University. I live within walking distance of BPD HQ so that won't be a problem. How long was your appointment for your range test after submitting the application for your LTC, and how long did it take to get your LTC after that?

Last edited:
My time from application to receipt was 49 days. Applied in mid July and got it 9/1. Took my range test the Monday after the Wednesday I applied.

You will need to drive to Moon Island, and I recommend checking out the route in advance just so you know as its in a less well traveled area.

The range test took less than half an hour. It was just me and one other guy, and we went in, signed in, got the equipment, fired off 30 rounds and left. Very quick and easy. Your experience might vary but in general everyone I've seen has agreed that the BPD guys stationed on Moon Island are very pleasant and easy to deal with.

Don't lose that sheet of paper they give you with directions to Moon Island! You'll need to show that to the rent-a-cop guarding the bridge to the island and to the range personnel.

If you have any more questions about the process or surviving as a legal gun owner in Boston, PM me or just post here. I'm happy to help my fellow Menino subjects.

Last edited:
There is an applying in Boston thread, but his questions aren't all addressed in it.

Especially the age thing. No one should ever be afraid to apply because they're only the minimum age.

Right at the top of the forum, yep.

Still, when it comes to explaining stuff in Boston, no number of threads is too many.

Yes correct, the sticky!!! and ps. I feel you man, I just turned 21 as well, and i feel as if the age thing is working against me. O well, if your old enough to defend your country then your old enough to defend yourself.

Back
Top Bottom