• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm vs 45 acp .223/5.56 vs. ?????

I have the cmmg kit.
I plan to use it in my first AR with the echo sport.

Come on, you don't think companies make new cartridges just to make more money?
That's a little naive
If one's only thought in making a new product is to make money, they will quickly be relegated to the dustbin of history.

To make money, one must describe a market opening, and seek to fill it. For example: a higher energy cartridge than 223REM that still fits in GI mags. Or, a SAAMI-spec cartridge that is effectively 300 Whisper, but not a wildcat/proprietary.

So yes, every cartridge has a purpose, however tenuous, that distinguishes it from the others.

(Don't judge me, but) I just saw this album cover
while listening to Palmyra Delran's show
on SXM: (Little Steven's) Underground Garage:
R-6926460-1429659813-4644.jpeg.jpg

Maybe that title is the Industry's olive branch
lobbed onto the battlefields of the Caliber Wars;
asking the musical question, Why Can't We All Get Along?

(Don't judge me, but) I just saw this album cover
while listening to Palmyra Delran's show
on SXM: (Little Steven's) Underground Garage:
R-6926460-1429659813-4644.jpeg.jpg

Maybe that title is the Industry's olive branch
lobbed onto the battlefields of the Caliber Wars;
asking the musical question, Why Can't We All Get Along?
What's an album?

6.5 Grendel is probably as close as you can get to the .308 in a general purpose AR-15 caliber. Here is a good writeup comparing the two.
You hit the nail on the head: same performance, AR-15 platform. It is kinda cool going to the range with a couple of uppers instead of multiple guns...

You hit the nail on the head: same performance, AR-15 platform. It is kinda cool going to the range with a couple of uppers instead of multiple guns...
yep, it is a same model i follow - 2 lowers for both 10/15 platforms, then you miltiple the uppers.
for hunters that 6.5Grendel is indeed a great thing, a much lighter setup to carry around.

fawk, now I want a grendel
if serious - at PA they have a sale on them now.
there are both 18" and 20" versions, odin works. should be ok quality and accuracy wise.

from what i recall they did not keep them at that price while site-wide 12% discount was running, but, it was a while ago.
that 18" barrel itself is 2.43lbs, btw. 20" is 2.66lbs. a $340 msrp from odin.

Last edited:
if serious - at PA they have a sale on them now.
there are both 18" and 20" versions, odin works. should be ok quality and accuracy wise.

from what i recall they did not keep them at that price while site-wide 12% discount was running, but, it was a while ago.
that 18" barrel itself is 2.43lbs, btw. 20" is 2.66lbs. a $340 msrp from odin.
You can also get a 20 in complete upper (including BCG and charging handle) from AR15 Parts for $600. It comes with a heavy stainless steel barrel by Shaw, who has a decent rep for utility barrels:
I’ve gotten a couple of uppers from them and they are OK for the price.

You can also get a 20 in complete upper (including BCG and charging handle) from AR15 Parts for $600. It comes with a heavy stainless steel barrel by Shaw, who has a decent rep for utility barrels:
I’ve gotten a couple of uppers from them and they are OK for the price.
it actually goes to $660 with all the options added - may or may not be better than the $700 odin? dunno.
i got one really good upper from ar15parts, in 6.5CM, the .308 one was not so great.

Bear Creek Arsenal sells Grendel uppers starting at under $250.
well, the BCA are extremely budget, be aware of that.

it actually goes to $660 with all the options added - may or may not be better than the $700 odin? dunno.
i got one really good upper from ar15parts, in 6.5CM, the .308 one was not so great.
I only priced it with the included A2 birdcage, the BCG and the cheap charging handle. I can get the mags and a better comp for less money from other sources. However, all this talk has now made me want a 6.5 Grendel and since I’ve already gotten uppers from AR15 Parts, I think I’ll try the Odin. From what I’ve found on the web, the Shaw barrels that AR15 Parts uses and Odin barrels are about the same, with a slight edge to the Odin.

I only priced it with the included A2 birdcage, the BCG and the cheap charging handle. I can get the mags and a better comp for less money from other sources. However, all this talk has now made me want a 6.5 Grendel and since I’ve already gotten uppers from AR15 Parts, I think I’ll try the Odin. From what I’ve found on the web, the Shaw barrels that AR15 Parts uses and Odin barrels are about the same, with a slight edge to the Odin.
I’ll wait for your review. :)
I am not going to hunt any time soon, so, my interest now is more toward .300WM or may be .300wsm.
And I need to learn precision shooting of gas ar10s. It is kicking like a mule. :)

I’ll wait for your review. :)
I am not going to hunt any time soon, so, my interest now is more toward .300WM or may be .300wsm.
And I need to learn precision shooting of gas ar10s. It is kicking like a mule. :)
I'll let you know. I have an AR15 Parts upper in 6.8 SPC II with the Shaws 18 in. stainless heavy barrel. We’ll see how it compares to the Odin. Of course now I have to build out another lower. I hate to have “orphaned” uppers that don’t have their own lowers.

I have an LR308 (AR10) in .243 Win. It’s a real hoot to shoot. Light recoil (much lighter than 6.5 Creedmoor). Flat shooting, though the bullets don’t have the SD of a 6.5mm. Good for long range varmint hunting to medium range white tail. Buffalo Bore makes a 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip load that can reach over 3900 fps out of a 20 inch barrel. Hit a squirrel with it and all you see is a red mist. I use it as my coyote gun with the 85 gr Barns TSX Boat Tail at about 3,300 fps.

Back
Top Bottom