• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm shortage...

That's interesting. Lots of pent up demand yet minimal price increases.

That's damn unusual, actually.
Those are vendors listing prices for primers they don't have. If you want a look at the free market, go on Gunbroker.com, log in, and do an advanced search on completed items, search term: "Small Pistol Primers".

They're going for about $200/1000

Those are vendors listing prices for primers they don't have. If you want a look at the free market, go on Gunbroker.com, log in, and do an advanced search on completed items, search term: "Small Pistol Primers".

They're going for about $200/1000
I dunno. The 5k CCI SPP I got from Bass Pro over a month ago ran me $200 shipped.
And one vendor today (for a short time of course) had CCI SPP for $39 per 1k. Limit was 1k. After shipping and hazmat it was $70 shipped for 1k.

But yeah the free market pricing can be seen on GB, Armslist etc.

I'm not one of those guys; I'm asking out of ignorance. Let's assume that once the panic and Christmas is over, the "new normal" for 9mm is $0.50 per round and the price of primers reverts to $20 per 1000. Not counting the cost of the brass nor the capital investment, what would you say that you are paying yourself per hour?
You are looking at it the wrong way.
Do you pay yourself while watching TV or surfing NES?

You reload during your free time.

You are looking at it the wrong way.
Do you pay yourself while watching TV or surfing NES?

I don't pay myself, but I can't pay someone else to watch TV or surf NES for me. I can pay them for ammo, though. And since I don't watch a lot of TV and skip the political threads here, I limit my time on both activities.

If one enjoys a repetitive task such as reloading, that's one thing. I have my hobbies. You have yours. My question was solely about the economics in response to the people gloating about the money they were now saving.

I dunno. The 5k CCI SPP I got from Bass Pro over a month ago ran me $200 shipped.
And one vendor today (for a short time of course) had CCI SPP for $39 per 1k. Limit was 1k. After shipping and hazmat it was $70 shipped for 1k.

But yeah the free market pricing can be seen on GB, Armslist etc.
View it through the same lense that women view shoe shopping, the more I spend the more I save... :)

I don't pay myself, but I can't pay someone else to watch TV or surf NES for me. I can pay them for ammo, though. And since I don't watch a lot of TV and skip the political threads here, I limit my time on both activities.

If one enjoys a repetitive task such as reloading, that's one thing. I have my hobbies. You have yours. My question was solely about the economics in response to the people gloating about the money they were now saving.

The current savings are a side effect for me. I started reloading because my wife bought me a press and my time in the garage is defined as "Do Not Disturb Allen - he's loading ammo" - aka "no kids zone". It's peaceful and a nice transition from my sometimes stressful work days back into the household.

As I became (somewhat) proficient, and started trusting my own loads, it meant that I no longer had to plan a stop at a store to get ammo for a match - or to get ammo for that next match because I was running "low". I can just take what's on my shelves of my own loads - and if they're low - I make more. I currently have about 6,000 rounds of 9mm that I loaded sitting in ammo boxes - and I still load for the current match so that my base remains constant.

The ammo that I load isn't terribly sophisticated, basic 9mm rounds, 124 grn plated over 4.0 of TiteGroup. They cycle all of the 9mm guns in this household reliably and make power factor out of all of them. One of my two presses is dedicated to that load. I could probably start tweaking it for different guns - but I'm a firm believer in the KISS rule.

Right now, if I didn't reload, I'd have to pay what I consider exorbitant amounts for 9mm - and I'd do it because I thoroughly enjoy shooting. But it could cut into my disposable income to a measurable degree. For example, I ran two divisions yesterday at a 5 stage USPSA match. Round count was 114, (per division), I probably shot around 250 rounds. Add the match fee in, and at current ammo prices that's a somewhat expensive couple of hours.

So, I'm not gloating - but I'm quite happy that my wife bought me that press - because with it, I don't have to change my shooting habits - as a lot of my friends and acquaintances are doing. Which sucks for them.

With 9mm, buy it when it's cheap, make it when it isn't. It's pretty simple.

I can load 800 rounds of 9mm per hour. I stockpiled components when they were cheap. My cost for 9mm hovers around $.10 per round. At today's prices, I'm "paying myself" over $700/hour.

If you buy Dillon equipment, and figure your investment as retail price minus resale value, you're not investing a lot to get started.

That means about 13 rounds per second. How do you do that?

Check your math.

800 rounds per hour.

60 seconds per minute
60 minutes per hour
3,600 seconds

3600 / 800 = 4.5

Now, we can talk about the time to load primer tubes, and refill case feeders - but it's doable.
Case feeders don't need refilling if you automate it (definitely worth it). I can't believe I used to refill mine every 25 rounds...ugh.

The primer tubes, I believe in another thread EC mentioned he either owns the Dillon primer filler or something else.

That way, 1 round every 4.5 seconds is totally doable.

Having the ability to make match grade ammo that gives the least dot movement is priceless, during any ammo availability condition.
Not only that, but the convenience of reloading.

For example, I converted 2 revolvers to 45 Colt. All I had to do was spend $50 on dies and I can start playing around. I can try different powders, different bullets, different seating depths ... all things that are pretty much impossible with factory ammo.

I could go out and buy 1 of every box of 45 Colt and try them all. By the time I find the best ammo I would have spent several hundred and then I have to hope that ammo is in stock when I want it and the quality is consistent. Multiply that by every gun you own and you might as well buy a Dillon 750 or 1100.

That means about 13 rounds per second. How do you do that?

Somewhere in here, several pages back, I believe he said he picked up a used one of these-

I can maybe do 400-450 /hr with a 550, with a 1050 @ 800/hr its completely achievable.
You'd be surprised how fast those big progressives can burn through full primer tubes when it has a case and bullet feeder.

Having the ability to make match grade ammo that gives the least dot movement is priceless, during any ammo availability condition.
Not only that, but the convenience of reloading.
For example, I converted 2 revolvers to 45 Colt. All I had to do was spend $50 on dies and I can start playing around. I can try different powders, different bullets, different seating depths ... all things that are pretty much impossible with factory ammo.

These are the reasons I reload. The economic benefit is tertiary to me.

Check your math.

800 rounds per hour.

60 seconds per minute
60 minutes per hour
3,600 seconds

3600 / 800 = 4.5

Now, we can talk about the time to load primer tubes, and refill case feeders - but it's doable.
Check your math.

800 rounds per hour.

60 seconds per minute
60 minutes per hour
3,600 seconds

3600 / 800 = 4.5

I meant minute, sorry.

I only reload 9mm when I'm desperate, but I do keep a good supply of components on hand, but I only usualy reload for rifle or magnum handgun rounds or .50bmg, but all my presses are single stage, just never had the need for a progressive.

Somewhere in here, several pages back, I believe he said he picked up a used one of these-

I can maybe do 400-450 /hr with a 550, with a 1050 @ 800/hr its completely achievable.
You'd be surprised how fast those big progressives can burn through full primer tubes when it has a case and bullet feeder.
Huh! Long way to go, I guess. I was looking at Dillon 650 as being the pinnacle......

Nice work!

I wonder how the guys that say “reloading is a waste of time “are feeling right now?
I used to say that when I could buy a case of 1000 for less then $150... still don’t have the time, components or equipment to start reloading but it sure does look like an attractive option now...

Huh! Long way to go, I guess. I was looking at Dillon 650 as being the pinnacle......

Friend of mine up the street has a 1050 set up for 9mm, he's thinking of automating it and buying another one to set up for 5.56/.223.
This is the same guy who has a full size water cooled CNC machine in his garage.
Shawn likes his toys.

I've got two 650's, one dedicated to 9mm because that's what I shoot the most of.
I swap out toolheads on the other depending upon what I'm reloading.

I've read about 750's and the primer tubes - I'm quite happy with my 650s.

Back
Top Bottom