• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm range ammo ranked

The terrible QC of Scorpio and TS branded 9mm in the Target Sports thread got me thinking, what is considered the best and worst ball ammo you'll stockpile and/or practice with?
For brass cased FMJ, how would you ranked the following? I know what I'll put on the bottom already, but curious if others agree.

Aguila
CCI Blazer Brass
Federal American Eagle
Federal Champion Training
Federal Syntech
Fiocchi
Magtech
Perfecta
PMC Bronze
Scorpio
Sellier & Bellot
Sig Sauer Elite
Sig Sauer 365 (should this be separate?)
Winchester Active Duty
Winchester USA (White Box)
Geco
Norma
PPU
ZQI
Maxxtech (Tula)
**ignoring importers and private label, as their quality varies with whoever is currently manufacturing for them

Last edited:
You're missing, Geco (although basically extinct), Norma, Winchester Steel. Federal AL (whatever its called now, might be new champion line) and CCI Blazer AL, Tula/Wolf Steel,
and probably a few others. There's Belom and Privi (PPU) too.

You're missing, Geco (although basically extinct), Norma, Winchester Steel. Federal AL (whatever its called now, might be new champion line) and CCI Blazer AL, Tula/Wolf Steel,
ZQI

Intentionally included brass only (as stated in OP) as steel and AL introduce issues on their own

Also wolf/RA are just importers, so pointless to add them as their manufacturer changes at will. I'll add norma and geco though. Pretty sure no one has any decent experience with belom yet.

Intentionally included brass only as steel and AL introduce issues on their own and wolf/RA are just importers, so pointless to add them as their manufacturer changes at will. I'll add norma and geco though. Pretty sure no one has any decent experience with belom yet.
Plus they all have brass lines

Maxxtech is tula
Wolf golf

After shooting tens of thousands of steel rounds and having maybe <5 FTF, I think failures are way more dependent on the gun than on the ammo.
I'll agree , for quite awhile I was buying steel cased 9mm because of its cheap price and my guns cycled it with no problems at all. I would say the accuracy of it was fine , but I believe that most guns&ammo are basically more accurate than most shooters (just my opinion).

IMI makes great brass cased ammo. Top notch.

Yes they do and yes it is......bought a shitload of it a couple of years ago in 115gr and 124gr. Excellent subgun ammo.

If I carry ball ammo in 9mm, I carry IMI stuff.

Maxxtech (not Magtech, which is GTG)
winchester “American steel”

those are the only 9mm ammo types that I would never purchase again. Everything else for me has been fine.

I'm having FTE/Stovepiping issues with Browning Training and Practice (115 gr). When I can get it, I like Speer Lawman 147gr.

Last edited:
I've shot 2-3k of the Scorpio / TSUSA branded 9mm now, haven't had any issues with it. All through a vp9

I have never had a problem with WWB in any caliber except a prima donna .22LR, but that gun only liked CCI Standard Velocity. I like them more than the Federal range stuff.

I like the Sig factory ammo too.

Last edited:
It pretty much entirely depends on the gun. Personally, I prefer Blazer because it's usually the cheapest and runs perfectly reliably in my Glock. Based on my experience, WWB is garbage (but my friend says it runs really well in his Walthers). Everything else is in the middle.

For my 9MM needs I’m pretty brand loyal to:

Fiocchi
Remington
Blazer Brass 115Gr

Of course I’ve shot other brands, WWB, Field & Stream (Dick’s Sporting Goods brand), Blazer AL, Wolf steel cased, American Eagle... I haven’t had any reliability issues, but found my top 3 run the cleanest for me.

In preferred descending order:
Speer Lawman (same load as my Gold Dot carry ammo)
Speer Lawman Clean Fire (same load as my Gold Dot carry ammo)
WWB
Federal American Eagle

When it comes to 9mm range ammo I could care less, long as the quality matches the price point. I'm not paying $35 a box for mediocre ammo that's for sure. If I get a couple ammo related malfunctions during a range session oh well, I got to practice clearing a malfunction. That being said I've been through thousands of rounds of cheap ass Tulammo and Brown bear 9mm and never had much of an issue. Right now I'm mostly shooting my own reloads for practice to conserve my stash of factory ammo, and I'm saving my brass case ammo for actual training classes.

They haven't been really making it for over a year, so it's not really that present anymore. UMC yellow or white box was "okay" but never anything to jump up and down about.

Yeah, I know. They were operating at about 10% capacity during bankruptcy when Vista bought them last fall. Since then, Vista has ramped up the Remington Lonoke plant again by calling back furloughed employees. Hopefully, they will be back to full production by the end of this year.

Do any of you buy that the Sig 365 FMJ ammo is actually designed specifically for a 3" barrel and has less perceived recoil than other FMJ? Or is that just marketing nonsense to sell 9mm ball at 36 cents/per even back before covid? And that's supposed to be the cheaper "training" ammo that performs the same as their 365 V crown.

Back
Top Bottom