• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm pistols that have an easy slide to rack?

I know guns can get expensive, but when its your carry gun or your wifes carry gun, then you don't want to go cheap.
Again, go for a gun you can trust, if its cheap, good, if its not so cheap, well, you will have to make a choice.

I'm not trying to sound oike a d***. Sorry if I do.

No, I hear you. There is a line. I wouldn't buy a Keltec pistol for anything. I'm no Ruger fanboy, and the LC9 isn't the finest built gun ever, but I owned one for a while and feel comfortable that it would be a decently reliable pistol for protection if it's not getting abused all the time at a range.

GFA had a nice 9mm that the GF was able to rack, think it was a Taurus. She doesn't have strong hands and didn't want a revolver (not sure why??). Otherwise the Sig 238 was easy to work but it was chambered in .380.

Yeah, I actually went there yesterday to buy a used LC9 he had, but the thing was so worn I wouldn't have trusted it.

I think that a lot of the "ease" comes from a pistol which has been worked through. I've handled some tough Lugers that were hard to rack and some new pistols that racked with ease. I think the hardest gun (IMO) to rack was a WWII German Luger. You needed a good overhand action to rack the slide. If they are well loved and have been cleaned and oiled, most pistols will rack without any issue.

I guess I'm a little confused. Is she looking for a pistol that's easy to rack? Or one with reduced recoil that she is more likely to shoot enough to be proficient? Also, is she looking for a carry gun or a range gun? Based on the suggestions so far (from full size service pistols to tiny ccw guns), we might need more information to help narrow the focus.

I would say that she (with suggestions from you) should decide what the primary purpose of the gun is. Then decide what is more important recoil control or ease of operation of the slide. Then she needs to hit the stores and lay hands on a couple.

Let us know which one she picks.

Aloha

Sorry for the confusion. Primarily, I wanted to get her a pistol with an easy to slide rack. That seems to be the sticking point. Every time I've tried to get her to handle a pistol I've owned she tries and get's flustered and gives up when it seems to hard for her to handle.

The only gun she felt kinda comfortable sliding was the LC9 I owned, but sold.

She would use it as a personal protection pistol. Smaller is better, but we don't have a huge budge for this right now.

Granted I am a large person (6'6 ~260).......

How difficult are most commercially available semi auto pistols to rack?

Could training solve this?

Sorry for the confusion. Primarily, I wanted to get her a pistol with an easy to slide rack. That seems to be the sticking point. Every time I've tried to get her to handle a pistol I've owned she tries and get's flustered and gives up when it seems to hard for her to handle.

The only gun she felt kinda comfortable sliding was the LC9 I owned, but sold.

She would use it as a personal protection pistol. Smaller is better, but we don't have a huge budge for this right now.

No/low budget, small, low recoil= .38 j frame wheel gun.

Have you actually tried to find 9 mm L ammo lately?

I own .380's, .22's, 9 mm (92 F) .45 1911A, and my 5 shot .38 is the go to carry gun.

Nuff w/my ranting

The more I read this thread the more I think you are barking up the wrong tree with a semi-auto. I think ease of manual of arms, and cost, you definitely need to consider a revolver. .38 spl is the way to go IMO because you can go from mild to wild in loads. I have a bunch of guns, yet I carry a j frame .38 frequently.

Another possibility are the Beretta series of pistols with tip up barrels that you don't have to rack the slide. I have a nifty little Beretta .22 I acquired years ago that's a safe queen (but not for sale) these are hard to get in Mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SR9c is the hardest handgun I've had to rack. Apparently it's a 16lb recoil spring but I think Ruger is lying. [laugh] Actually my Hi-Power is worse but that's almost 80 years old. Pocket pistols generally are easier to rack. Or you could get a subcompact Glock + slide cover charging handle!

this isn't a CH but close, GLOCK SLIDE RACKER | Brownells

No shit. The SR9c is a great gun to get forearm lactic acid buildup.

In my classes I instruct the students to hold the slide with their weak hand and push the gun forward with their strong hand.

I do, too. While my wife can rack the slide on a K9, she can't lock it open to save her life.

A SIG 239 is relatively easy to rack if you thumb cock the hammer first.

Also, a great way to toughen up your tumb is to load the mags without the speed loader!

all the springs on those SR's are tough as nails [laugh] gonna miss my ex's sr9c, thing was stupid accurate and had a killer trigger.

OP, you want the wrong gun. it sounds like she just cant rack em, and some cant. I recommend you follow others advice on here and put a .38 special in her hand, the older J frames are pretty affordable at this point and were very well built. she could count her life to one, as they always go bang.

I think you're right, it's more technique than strength. Easier to push forward and just hold the slide in place.

Good advice. And if she has her heart set on a 9mm auto, consider the sub-Glock 26. A bit of frog lube and the thing practically racks itself. The only setbacks to the 26 imo are the price (non-free state mark up) and the thickness. Still a very nice carry gun!

Sounds like she needs some coaching on HOW to rack. I have seen plenty of women have a hard time learning certain things from their SO's because 1. They get torqued up because they want to do well for the SO. 2. You all have different physiology and how you do some things doesn't always translate well to the ladies.

If either of those scenarios is an issue for her, bring her to Acme one Saturday and I would be happy to work with her on racking the gun out back where she won't have an audience.

Barring medical issues, she should be able to rack most guns once she figures out her technique.

SR9c is the hardest handgun I've had to rack. Apparently it's a 16lb recoil spring but I think Ruger is lying. [laugh] Actually my Hi-Power is worse but that's almost 80 years old. Pocket pistols generally are easier to rack. Or you could get a subcompact Glock + slide cover charging handle!

this isn't a CH but close, GLOCK SLIDE RACKER | Brownells
My SR9C also very hard to rack, my wife just couldn't do it comfortably along with working the slide lock...I guess I now have to get her her own gun, maybe a 22 or vendors a revolver....but great advice here on easier racking 9s

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My wife cannot rack the slide on the 9mm shield easily but has no problem with the m&p 40c. I think because it is a little wider that helps her

I really liked the way my old Beretta 96 .40 cal racked back like smooth glass. I would imagine the 92fs 9mm is no different. Might be a little big for the average female hands though.

I'm not sure how much of that is due to the stiffness of the spring or rather due to the fact that the slide is small and hard to grab.

Yup. I just bought one that has custom shop springs in it and it's a tough SOB to rack. And the small slide area makes it even harder.

Back
Top Bottom