• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm pistols that have an easy slide to rack?

Some pistols are easier to rack than others, in my meager experience. The Ruger LC9, for example, my wife could handle easily. My Kahr, she won't go near because it's got a really strong spring.

I want her to be pistol proficient, and the only way to do that is to buy her a pistol that's got a lighter recoil spring than typical.

Any suggestions aside from the Ruger LC9? It has to be a 9mm, as she wants a round with some power to feel secure.

Last edited:
So it sounds like you need a pocket pistol? Concealment must be important.

Not sure you should limit to a 9 mm

Consider a .38+P j frame? No rack to slide.

SR9c is the hardest handgun I've had to rack. Apparently it's a 16lb recoil spring but I think Ruger is lying. [laugh] Actually my Hi-Power is worse but that's almost 80 years old. Pocket pistols generally are easier to rack. Or you could get a subcompact Glock + slide cover charging handle!

this isn't a CH but close, GLOCK SLIDE RACKER | Brownells

I've had no problem with the SR9, but she may want to visit a local shop and try out a few and see what feels best to her.

I've racked a Glock 19 and a Mark II Ruger target pistol. My SR22 is pretty easy to rack too. Hell, even my Marlin (about 20 yrs old) as a lever action is easy to rack.

It just needs a break in and a little extra oil. Perhaps take it out, chew some ammo through it and clean it afterwards and you'll probably find it racks pretty well for her. I've also fired a Sig P229 in 9 and also with the 22 conversion kit and it racks fine, it just needs a little use and it should work fine.

SR9c is the hardest handgun I've had to rack. Apparently it's a 16lb recoil spring but I think Ruger is lying. [laugh] Actually my Hi-Power is worse but that's almost 80 years old. Pocket pistols generally are easier to rack. Or you could get a subcompact Glock + slide cover charging handle!

my wife and 13 year old daughter struggle with my SR9c. My Glock G19 is easier for them.

yeah i was going to chime in that it doesn't appear to be caliber dependent, you're going to need to try each one. Pretty easy to do in the gun shop tho.

my wife and 13 year old daughter struggle with my SR9c. My Glock G19 is easier for them.

Yeah I have the SR9c and the G19. The G19 is like butter after the SR9c, which some said would break in over time. I got mine January 2012 and it still is a tough rack. I don't mind but damn Ruger puts on the sharpest grip serrations.

My PM9 is a PIA to rack. No way my wife would be able to move that thing. She tried to rack the slide on my M&P 40c and had trouble.

All that said, any of the Sigs that I have shot have had slides that were extremely easy to rack.

Maybe a .38 wheel gun would be a good idea?

I had no idea. That's brilliant. Actually, though, I will likely train her with this video:

- - - Updated - - -

In my classes I instruct the students to hold the slide with their weak hand and push the gun forward with their strong hand.

Yeah, that's what the video lady says. It's sensible and effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had a problem with my glock I can rack it from the sights off my belt too.

I owned a G23 that was a real range dog. That thing racked like buttah, and ate rounds like the Cookie Monster. Glocks are too big and blocky for her, though.

I would be looking for something I can depend on rather than the slide. You can get used to the slide, its like everything else. Just like the first time you play an instrument, your fingers can't reach the strings, and a month later you are all over the place.

That is my opinion.

I was going to say don't get a Hi-Power. Holy hell.

Actually my Hi-Power is worse but that's almost 80 years old.

I have a 1943 Hi-power that's the complete opposite. You barely have to touch it to rack it. My wife cant even rack my shield.

To the op: I agree your wife should stop in the gun shop and try a few different guns.

Last edited:
I would be looking for something I can depend on rather than the slide. You can get used to the slide, its like everything else. Just like the first time you play an instrument, your fingers can't reach the strings, and a month later you are all over the place.

That is my opinion.

I hear you, I think the Ruger LC9 is about as cheap a gun as I'd go. They aren't meant to be abused at the range every week, but with less use I think they're decent to depend on. The real problem is there aren't many smallish 9's out there that rack easy and are not quite as expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

1911 with a 7lb spring

She wants a 1911 (she liked shooting one at our pistol training) but we don't have the cash for one right now.

Don't be hell bent on a semi-auto. As others have pointed out a .38 spl revolver might fill the bill quite nicely. A caveat though, shooting J frames can be daunting. If weight is not an issue, consider a Ruger SP 101. It is the approx size of the old Colt D frame. If you can find a Colt in good shape and a fair price, something else to consider.

Otherwise as others have suggested, take her to a range or gun store and have her try one she likes and can handle. The S&W 3rd Gen Ladysmith models were designed with women in mind, they are still around. Check around and see if there any available to try. Models: 3913 and 3914 Ladysmith (not regular).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFA had a nice 9mm that the GF was able to rack, think it was a Taurus. She doesn't have strong hands and didn't want a revolver (not sure why??). Otherwise the Sig 238 was easy to work but it was chambered in .380.

I know guns can get expensive, but when its your carry gun or your wifes carry gun, then you don't want to go cheap.
Again, go for a gun you can trust, if its cheap, good, if its not so cheap, well, you will have to make a choice.

She will get used to the slide, and the trigger can be fixed.

Look at PPS. The new ones don't have that spring problem the older ones had.
Its an awesome, small, well built gun.

I'm not trying to sound like a d***. Sorry if I do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom