• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm or. 38 for a Bond Arms Stinger?

Looking at getting one and can't decide on which to get. Something I should mention is I intend to buy a .327 barrel and will reload that from mild .32 S&W to full house .327, but I have to choose either a 9mm or .38.

The appeal for the .38 is I load that too, but with 9mm it's cheap to shoot and more powerful.

Come on NES, haaaaalp.

Without looking it up I'm not sure I would agree that 9mm is more powerful than .38 special especially if you load .38's.

Derringers are f***ing dumb, but @In God We Trust has a good point, and in 9mm it makes it slightly less dumb. (but not much, they are still pretty f***ing terrible once you get beyond the novelty factor).

Without looking it up I'm not sure I would agree that 9mm is more powerful than .38 special especially if you load .38's.

38s struggle to get anywhere near 9mm velocity, that derringer will suck either way but it will suck slightly less with 9mm over a chrono.

I
38s struggle to get anywhere near 9mm velocity, that derringer will suck either way but it will suck slightly less with 9mm over a chrono.
I looked it up and stand corrected and am surprised at the difference in working pressure. 9mm is nearly double non +P ..38 special.

Got it. I've got the "Roughneck" with 45 and 9 barrels. I prefer 45.

Assuming there wasn't a big price or weight diff, I'd go with a model that allowed easy barrel swaps...one of the Bond Arms best features IMHO.

I'll never understand it. Ever. Ever-ever.

I owned a Bond Arms derringer for cowboy shooting years ago. It was cute for that.

But draw, COCK, sorta-aim, fire is NOT a smooth process. It is the least ergonomic system out there short of throwing bricks at your assailant. Odds are high you'll flub the cocking or drop it during some sort of movement.

You are 100x better off with a micro 380. You'll get 3x more rounds and pull and pull. Pull from concealment, pull trigger. BOOM!

But if you MUST to scratch that wild ass (or something like that), get the 9.

I'll never understand it. Ever. Ever-ever.

I owned a Bond Arms derringer for cowboy shooting years ago. It was cute for that.

But draw, COCK, sorta-aim, fire is NOT a smooth process. It is the least ergonomic system out there short of throwing bricks at your assailant. Odds are high you'll flub the cocking or drop it during some sort of movement.

You are 100x better off with a micro 380. You'll get 3x more rounds and pull and pull. Pull from concealment, pull trigger. BOOM!

But if you MUST to scratch that wild ass (or something like that), get the 9.
micro 380's are so uncool its not even funny...but a Derringer on the other hand is cooler than the other side of my pillow ;-)

I had an American Derringer lightweight in 38 special years ago. It carried well and didn’t have too much recoil….not much for accuracy though. I would go and I have gone with a tiny 380. No problem putting 6 shots on target with it.

JMHO. 38spl. I've shot 9mm in an all-steel Ruger SP101. It felt like a .357. I've shot .38 in an aluminum J-frame, snappy but no where near as rough as the 9mm in steel. Ammo availability wise, yeah, 9mm all day long.

I have a .22 derringer, a .38 spl and a B.A. Rowdy .45LC/.410 . Shoot one first, for me they are novelty only. I have carried the rowdy with hornaday critical defense ammo, just to see what it felt like pocket carrying it (my edc is a LCP .380, I'm a small guy). Hard to operate and aim without lots of practice. The .38 spl was probably the most reasonable compromise for what I had, but the .410 made more sense in my head for close encounter problems. .45LC +P rounds will do some serious wrist damage with the rowdy Derringer.

Update: I decided not to make the order and will give this more time to consider. I figure stuff like the "Rough" series of Bond derringers, especially the Stingers, will be given some decent discounts on Black Friday and if not then I'll wait for the Spring and see if they make the .327 Stinger and not force me to buy a .38 or 9mm and then get the spare .327 barrel.

Back
Top Bottom