922r question

I bought a Saiga .308 a few weeks ago after I found out that the 7.62x39 was a AK47 "type" ie illegal. So I went on the hunt for bigger magazines. Found some 25 rounders. The way I understand it is that if i start get said magazine I now have to follow 922r which requires at least 4 USA made parts to be legal and the mags I found are 3 parts. So I was going to order a Tapco Saiga Intrafuse T6 Collapsible Stock which comes with a pistol grip but its apart of the stock kind of ie not in the usual place on the actual receiver. Going on the web I see that the following is not legal as far as stocks go.

"(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or"

Soooo if I'm reading/understanding that correctly then I'd still be legal as its not a folding/telescoping stock and the pistol grip is not important as I wouldn't have both at the same time. Comments? [thinking]

EDIT: Also one more headache. Since I have to be 922r compliant now, would I be able to use the factory 8 rd mag (Russian made) with said stock? Or do I need to do 4 parts changed at ALL times?

Last edited:
Magazines larger that 10 rounds are prohibited by the AWB regardless of the gun, unless they are pre-ban. AFAIK there are no pre-ban Saiga .308 magazines (please correct if someone knows different). This has nothing to do with 922r.

If you get 8-10 round US-made Saiga 308 magazines that is where 922r may come into play. RAA describes the Saiga as a hunting rifle which as I understand it would mean that 922 does not apply. However, I don't know what the BATF says.

From what I've seen so far most people seem to consider the Saiga 308 to be subject to 922r, at least if the configuration is changed to resemble a military rifle (ex. hi-cap mags, railed forends, collapsible stocks, pistol grips). However, it appears that keeping the rifle looking like the original sporter config may not make it subject to 922r. I have not yet found an BATF letter that states one way or the other. Personally I'm trying to determine if using a US-made 10 round mag and adding a scope mount would make my Saiga 308 subject to 922r.

If the Saiga 308 is subject to 922r, and you want to change the configuration, then it needs to have 10 or less imported parts. As you point out the magazine counts as three. I gather replacing sufficient parts is not hard but have not looked in detail.

To get to your original question, if you put a pistol grip and collapsible stock on the Saiga 308 then AFAICT it is in violation of the state AWB regardless its 922 status. It does not matter whether the pistol grip protrudes from the receiver directly or from the front of the stock.

Seeing as how the OP posted in the CT Law forum we have to assume that he lives there. If so, there are no restrictions on mags.

To get to your original question, if you put a pistol grip and collapsible stock on the Saiga 308 then AFAICT it is in violation of the state AWB regardless its 922 status. It does not matter whether the pistol grip protrudes from the receiver directly or from the front of the stock.

Yes but its NOT either folding/telescoping as the law says is not allowed. Am I misunderstanding something here?

EDIT: Okay so poking around I see the "loophole" apparently if its adjustable then basically its a telescoping even though it doesn't fold persay, etc. Ugh stupid state. So its either pistol grip on stock, stock or the actual pistol grip conversion and stock, stock!

Seeing as how the OP posted in the CT Law forum we have to assume that he lives there. If so, there are no restrictions on mags.

Yes I live in CT. Sorry I guess its not set on the location thingy yet. Let me fix it! [grin]

Last edited:
Yes but its NOT either folding/telescoping as the law says is not allowed. Am I misunderstanding something here?

EDIT: Okay so poking around I see the "loophole" apparently if its adjustable then basically its a telescoping even though it doesn't fold persay, etc. Ugh stupid state. So its either pistol grip on stock, stock or the actual pistol grip conversion and stock, stock!
CT law says "A folding or telescoping stock" is considered an "evil" feature. "Telescoping" and "collapsible" are generally considered to be synonymous. Therefore the buttstock portion counts as one "evil" feature. The pistol grip counts as the second "evil" feature. It protrudes below the action of firearm regardless of where it is attached. Thus as I read it putting a Tapco Saiga Intrafuse T6 Collapsible stock on a Saiga 308 would render it an AWB in CT (and MA).
Yes I live in CT. Sorry I guess its not set on the location thingy yet. Let me fix it! [grin]
Mea culpa. I read via the "new posts" list and don't always catch which board a post is in. Disregard my comments regarding magazine capacities.

Back
Top Bottom