91/30 front barrel band replacement

headednorth

NES Member
Searched with no luck, so here goes...

I recently purchased my first 91/30 and it came with a broken front barrel band. I bought a replacement part knowing that it wouldnt just slide over the front sight and down the barrel. The new band has a split machined into the bottom so it will spread a bit, but Im worried about stretching it so that it wont spring back. I also have to admit Im leery of pounding off the front sight that has probably been in place for 80+ years.

My questions are,

If I stretch it around the front sight, will it spring back to its original shape? Just by eyeballing it, it looks like the front site base is narrower than the barrel.

Any tricks/alternative methods to make it go easier?

Should I just get over it and remove the front sight and re-install after Im done. Im not any kind of gunsmith, not even an amateur one, so I'd like to avoid this if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Need to remove the front sight. If you try to stretch the bands, they will never reshape again. Removing the front sight is not a hard thing to do.

So, Im thinking support the barrel, hit the fs with some penetrating oil to loosen things up, start slow and work my way up. Anything else?

You should not have to remove the front sight to install the barrel band. Try holding it on an angle and it should slip over the front sight. If you do open it a bit it will return to its original position.

Also removing the front sight is not hard. Soak it in some Kroil over night. They were made to drift for windage adjustment. Use a brass punch and a good old hammer.

What 50 said.

Removing the band is like a Chinese puzzle. Takes a little twisting and turning but you should be able to do it w/out removing the front sight.

If you feel you do have to remove the sight and don't have a brass punch, you can use a long brass screw. Brass will give without damaging the metal on the rifle. Just make sure you use one that fits well inside the base of the front sight. IIRC its a small dovetail design.

You may have to get creative with a block or two of wood to support the muzzle end of the rifle to effectively move the sight.

Back
Top Bottom