9 mm 92FS vs. P226 vs. M&P

Love my p226 - much better trigger than the m&p plus you can get hi-caps; also no manual safety like the 92

Let's not let the anti-gunners win by redefining what is normal.

P226 mags that hold more than 10 rounds are best called "normal capacity.' A high capacity mag is one of which is more than normal capacity, such as Glock 18 magazine.

I own all 3 but my favorite for competition is the SIG P226 with SRT and action enhancement. The M&P9 is a great gun but if you live in MA get a trigger job or Apex kit done, worth the money. My Inox 92FS is a great looking gun so it stays in the safe but I've never had a jam or stove-pipe with it. All 3 perfect for self or home defense.

Let's not let the anti-gunners win by redefining what is normal.

P226 mags that hold more than 10 rounds are best called "normal capacity.' A high capacity mag is one of which is more than normal capacity, such as Glock 18 magazine.

what's a 10 round mag? low capacity ? every 10 round mag i own is an abomination

Thankfully, I searched the forum before starting a new thread on this topic, as I have the same questions and concerns as the OP. For the past few months, I've spent time with the exact three firearms as the OP, in addition to the Glock 17, in deciding on my first pistol. To Johnny D's point, I decided on 9mm instead of a larger caliber due to cost for ammo, as I know I need a lot more range time before feeling ready for what I consider 'stepping up' to a larger caliber. I find when firing larger calibers, I'm focused more on keeping recoil under control, than overall proper gun handling practices. With that said, I was at the range this morning, cycling rounds through a 92FS and a P226. I found that in comparison to SAO on the Glock 17, and the M&P, the DA/SA on the 92FS, and the P226 takes getting used to. Having more experience with pistols that are SAO, finger placement on the trigger when in DA requires a more proper grip, whereas on the other two, there's a bit more room to compensate for different sized hands. Between the two, I felt like the DA on the Sig was much smoother than on the Beretta. As far as grouping of shots on target in quick succession, I certainly felt more comfortable with the Sig than the Beretta when in DA/SA, and when forcing SAO.

I'm still struggling on whether I'd feel more comfortable with an SAO instead of DA/SA. I expect that the next time I'm at the range, I'll have to compare the Glock vs. the Sig to make my decision.
I'm no expert, and I know there are more experienced folks on here that can offer their opinions on what's best, but I do agree with the general consensus of the posters in this thread that overall comfort of any firearm to an individual is the most important in deciding on a first (or any firearm that won't be a safe queen) as it will enable consistent shot grouping on target.

I appreciate your trying different types of guns, but you need to work a bit on nomenclature. Single Action Only or SAO would be those pistols such as the 1911 or the Browning Hi-Power or the new Kimber Solo. The Glocks and the M&P's are really DAO as the recoil in and of itself does not recock the trigger. I know that some will probably have issues with my explanation, and one could argue that the Glocks and M&Ps and S&W Sigmas are always partially cocked anyway. A striker fired pistol in that class should never be confused with say the old Colt "Hammerless" model pocket automatics such as the Models of 1903 or 1908 which were true SAO semi-automatic pistols.

I appreciate your trying different types of guns, but you need to work a bit on nomenclature. Single Action Only or SAO would be those pistols such as the 1911 or the Browning Hi-Power or the new Kimber Solo.

Yup.

To the OP, any of these three pistola will serve you well, pick one and take a really good defensive handgun class with it.

love my 92 inox
fyi my brother is special ops just got back from overseas and they get to pick what they carry and they are divided 50/50..... beretta 92(they love the capacity and accuracy) vs glock(great all around).
a few carry kimbers fyi and they take a beatin in the desert.
it seems to be a personal preference and i particularly think buy what you like to hold handle and shoot and feel good about.
screw anyone that says one is better than the next, buy what you like and are happy with. it isnt high school you dont need to conform to the cool kids or keep up with in crowd.

love my 92 inox
fyi my brother is special ops just got back from overseas and they get to pick what they carry and they are divided 50/50..... beretta 92(they love the capacity and accuracy) vs glock(great all around).
a few carry kimbers fyi and they take a beatin in the desert.
it seems to be a personal preference and i particularly think buy what you like to hold handle and shoot and feel good about.
screw anyone that says one is better than the next, buy what you like and are happy with. it isnt high school you dont need to conform to the cool kids or keep up with in crowd.

Great response, makes sense!!

it seems to be a personal preference and i particularly think buy what you like to hold handle and shoot and feel good about.screw anyone that says one is better than the next, buy what you like and are happy with. it isnt high school you dont need to conform to the cool kids or keep up with in crowd.
This is definitely the best advice!

I have a 226 and Love it. You will not be disspointed. I'd personally go with that. M&P from what I herd needs some trigger work done when you buy it out of the box if you live in MA. If you dry fire enough with the 226 that DA isn't so bad and the SA is pretty nice and crisp. Out of all the guns I have i shoot better with the 226 9mm

Back
Top Bottom