8mm Surplus ammo ID

mac1911

NES Member
I have some 8mm mauser surplus. Copper washed steel case. Boxer primed 180 grain FMJBT bullet. Head stamp is a 10 @ the 12 Oclock position then a a triangle @ the 4 Oclock position 62 @ the 6 Oclock position. My camera doesnt want to up load pics at the moment, sorry. Any idea on country type of ammo ?

Shoot it in a bolt-action and find out! It takes way longer to pull down and make non-corrosive rounds than it does to clean out your gun.
I agree for the most part...curiosity got me though and I had to pull some down. Its 178 gn bullets and of the 5 I pulled the bullets to my surprise only had a .5 grain difference. Unlike some of the 54r I have pulled. The powder on the other hand for only 5 rounds checked went from a low of 44.8 to a high of 48.6 the other 3 where in the 47 grain area...I loaded the pulled. Bullets into the 5 pieces of brass I have over some h4895. If they group well I wont have axproblem with pulling the bullets as I wait for some 8mm bullets.

I agree for the most part...curiosity got me though and I had to pull some down. Its 178 gn bullets and of the 5 I pulled the bullets to my surprise only had a .5 grain difference. Unlike some of the 54r I have pulled. The powder on the other hand for only 5 rounds checked went from a low of 44.8 to a high of 48.6 the other 3 where in the 47 grain area...I loaded the pulled. Bullets into the 5 pieces of brass I have over some h4895. If they group well I wont have axproblem with pulling the bullets as I wait for some 8mm bullets.

Fair enough, I've pulled more than a few 8mm rounds just see what was inside. [grin] Q for you: with that much difference in powder charge was all the powder the same type? I've pulled some Czech repack 8mm that had 4-5 different kinds of powders (square flake, hollow extrusion, solid stick) in the same lot. Not exactly match ammo, but good enough for car shoots...

Back
Top Bottom