1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

black powder hunting in massachusetts

Discussion in 'Hunting, Trapping, & Fishing Forum' started by mac1911, Oct 25, 2009.

1. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

OK so I was thinking of deer hunting with a 50 muzzle loader black powder.
    Here's where I got a little confused. I was talking with the guy behind the counter at dicks. Not the best source for hunting law but he got me thinking.
    He stated that I could not hunt in mass with a in line black powder rifle?

I thought you are only restricted to exposed ignition source and also can not use the multi barrel type which if I remember have the workings inside.

I plan on using a TC black diamond with 209 ignition system.

2. dixidawg

dixidawg NES Member

From the abstracts found here:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Muzzleloaders - During muzzleloader deer season
    hunters may use only shoulder fired muzzleloaders
    .44 caliber to .775 caliber; barrel length 8" or more
    with only one barrel operational. Inline ignition
    systems are permitted providing rifle loads from the
    muzzle
    .Hinge action(breakopen)muzzleloaders are
    NOT permitted. Single projectile only (no buckshot).
    Sabot rounds, 209 primers, and scopes are legal.
    Powder limited to black powder or approved substitutes.
    Firearm is considered unloaded when cap
    or pan powder is removed. Primitive Firearms Stamp
    required. Archers may hunt during the muzzleloader
    firearms season but must purchase a Primitive Firearms
    Stamp and wear at least 500 square inches of
    hunter orange on head, back, and chest.

3. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Thanks for the link, just couldnt find it tonight. I thought he was a little off. I knew you couldnt use the break open type. BUT when he said no inline,,,,,huh.

Any word on the black diamond. I will be buying a gun that already has scored some critters.

4. levergun

levergun Member

South Central Massachusetts stationed in GA
    To make it simple- you can hunt with any muzzleloader including doubles and break actions IN SHOTGUN SEASON.

In muzzleloader season NO DOUBLES OR HINGE ACTIONS. Inlines are fine- just no higne action in muzzleloader season.

5. levergun

levergun Member

I guess we were typing at the same time. I own over 10 muzzleloaders- and I must say- almost all of them are TC. IMO none come close to the quality TC puts into their guns. Best gun for the money.

6. 60 buckscash

60 buckscash Member

So here is my question. I am looking at the blackpowder barrel for my Mossy 500 since it is a pump it should be fine, correct?

7. levergun

levergun Member

Mass laws are confusing, but I believe that you could only hunt with that in shotgun season. I was told by the EP that a conversion is not legal in muzzleloader season since it's to easy to swap barrels back and forth. They don't care about shotgun- anything is legal then- but muzzleloader it's a no-go. Pump action are considered in the same class as hinge action in the state of MA.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

copy and paste-

During shotgun deer season hunters may use shotguns not larger than 10 gauge, bows and arrows, or muzzleloaders not smaller than .44 caliber, or larger than .775 caliber. This includes modern muzzleloaders, hinge action muzzleloaders, muzzleloaders with telescopic sights, and permits the use of sabot rounds. Rifled barrel shotguns are legal during shotgun deer season.

Muzzleloaders - During muzzleloader deer season hunters may use only shoulder fired muzzleloaders .44 caliber to .775 caliber; barrel length 8" or more with only one barrel operational. Inline ignition systems are permitted providing rifle loads from the muzzle. Hinge action(break open) muzzleloaders are NOT permitted. Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers, and scopes are legal. Powder limited to black powder or approved substitutes. Firearm is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed. Primitive Firearms Stamp required.Archers may hunt during the muzzleloader firearms season but must purchase a Primitive Firearms Stamp and wear at least 500 square inches of hunter orange on head, back, and chest.
    During shotgun deer season hunters may use shoulder fired muzzleloaders not larger than .775 caliber, including modern muzzleloaders, muzzleloaders with telescopic sights, hinge action muzzleloaders and muzzleloaders using sabot rounds. Firearm is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  8. arlow

arlow NES Member

I have a black diamond 50 cal magnum. Great gun very accurate.

9. HTRN

HTRN Instructor Dealer

Being that the black diamond is NOT a break action, it is legal.

The TC Triumph and Contender are not legal in MA.

10. DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler NES Member

No, it would not be fine b/c it does not load through the muzzle. Basically you cannot use any cartridge for muzzleloader season. But you can use a muzzleloader for shotgun season.

11. dixidawg

dixidawg NES Member

Huh??????

A "muzzleloader" that doesn't load through the muzzle????

http://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=95302

12. DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler NES Member

I get it. I'm unfamiliar w/ the muzzleloading barrel for a MB500. Therefore, i'm not sure if it is mass compliant. To clarify, a "break open" muzzleloader doesn't load through the muzzle. If you load the gun w/ any cartridge style black powder load, it most likely isn't mass compliant.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  13. dixidawg

dixidawg NES Member

Actually, the break opens DO load from the muzzle too. That is why there is so much confusion as to why thay are illegal in Mass.

14. arlow

arlow NES Member

I think the issue with the break opens is that the primer cap is not exposed to the elements as required by law for primitive weapons.

15. Madmarek

Madmarek Member

I have the Mossy 500 blackpowder barrel. Its no fancy TC tack driver but it works.

You get that familiar forend rattle during muzzleloader season.

I use it hunting but have never been questioned.

Clean it real good when you get it. Mine had a ton of grease packed in the base.

16. upStomp

upStomp Member

I'm looking for a muzzleloader that will carry me through the shotgun and primitive seasons. I know that break opens are a no-no during the muzzleloading season, but what about pivot action? Specifically, I'm looking at the T/C Omega. Looking at the hunting abstracts, they only say that hinge action is not allowed, but nothing about pivot action.

Would pivot action be considered "break open"?

17. Custom Buck

Custom Buck Member

Omega is perfectly fine to use.

1 person likes this.