• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

black powder hunting in massachusetts

mac1911

NES Member
OK so I was thinking of deer hunting with a 50 muzzle loader black powder.
Here's where I got a little confused. I was talking with the guy behind the counter at dicks. Not the best source for hunting law but he got me thinking.
He stated that I could not hunt in mass with a in line black powder rifle?

I thought you are only restricted to exposed ignition source and also can not use the multi barrel type which if I remember have the workings inside.

I plan on using a TC black diamond with 209 ignition system.

From the abstracts found here:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Muzzleloaders - During muzzleloader deer season
hunters may use only shoulder fired muzzleloaders
.44 caliber to .775 caliber; barrel length 8" or more
with only one barrel operational. Inline ignition
systems are permitted providing rifle loads from the
muzzle
.Hinge action(breakopen)muzzleloaders are
NOT permitted. Single projectile only (no buckshot).
Sabot rounds, 209 primers, and scopes are legal.
Powder limited to black powder or approved substitutes.
Firearm is considered unloaded when cap
or pan powder is removed. Primitive Firearms Stamp
required. Archers may hunt during the muzzleloader
firearms season but must purchase a Primitive Firearms
Stamp and wear at least 500 square inches of
hunter orange on head, back, and chest.

Thanks for the link, just couldnt find it tonight. I thought he was a little off. I knew you couldnt use the break open type. BUT when he said no inline,,,,,huh.

Any word on the black diamond. I will be buying a gun that already has scored some critters.

Mass laws are confusing, but I believe that you could only hunt with that in shotgun season. I was told by the EP that a conversion is not legal in muzzleloader season since it's to easy to swap barrels back and forth. They don't care about shotgun- anything is legal then- but muzzleloader it's a no-go. Pump action are considered in the same class as hinge action in the state of MA.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

copy and paste-

During shotgun deer season hunters may use shotguns not larger than 10 gauge, bows and arrows, or muzzleloaders not smaller than .44 caliber, or larger than .775 caliber. This includes modern muzzleloaders, hinge action muzzleloaders, muzzleloaders with telescopic sights, and permits the use of sabot rounds. Rifled barrel shotguns are legal during shotgun deer season.

Muzzleloaders - During muzzleloader deer season hunters may use only shoulder fired muzzleloaders .44 caliber to .775 caliber; barrel length 8" or more with only one barrel operational. Inline ignition systems are permitted providing rifle loads from the muzzle. Hinge action(break open) muzzleloaders are NOT permitted. Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers, and scopes are legal. Powder limited to black powder or approved substitutes. Firearm is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed. Primitive Firearms Stamp required.Archers may hunt during the muzzleloader firearms season but must purchase a Primitive Firearms Stamp and wear at least 500 square inches of hunter orange on head, back, and chest.
During shotgun deer season hunters may use shoulder fired muzzleloaders not larger than .775 caliber, including modern muzzleloaders, muzzleloaders with telescopic sights, hinge action muzzleloaders and muzzleloaders using sabot rounds. Firearm is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, just couldnt find it tonight. I thought he was a little off. I knew you couldnt use the break open type. BUT when he said no inline,,,,,huh.

Any word on the black diamond. I will be buying a gun that already has scored some critters.

I have a black diamond 50 cal magnum. Great gun very accurate.

Being that the black diamond is NOT a break action, it is legal.

The TC Triumph and Contender are not legal in MA.

So here is my question. I am looking at the blackpowder barrel for my Mossy 500 since it is a pump it should be fine, correct?

No, it would not be fine b/c it does not load through the muzzle. Basically you cannot use any cartridge for muzzleloader season. But you can use a muzzleloader for shotgun season.

Last edited:
Actually, the break opens DO load from the muzzle too. That is why there is so much confusion as to why thay are illegal in Mass.

Actually, the break opens DO load from the muzzle too. That is why there is so much confusion as to why thay are illegal in Mass.

I think the issue with the break opens is that the primer cap is not exposed to the elements as required by law for primitive weapons.

I have the Mossy 500 blackpowder barrel. Its no fancy TC tack driver but it works.

You get that familiar forend rattle during muzzleloader season.

I use it hunting but have never been questioned.

Clean it real good when you get it. Mine had a ton of grease packed in the base.

I'm looking for a muzzleloader that will carry me through the shotgun and primitive seasons. I know that break opens are a no-no during the muzzleloading season, but what about pivot action? Specifically, I'm looking at the T/C Omega. Looking at the hunting abstracts, they only say that hinge action is not allowed, but nothing about pivot action.

Would pivot action be considered "break open"?

Back
Top Bottom