80% Lower with Fixed Mag

Asking for a friend:
If an 80% lower is finished and used with a California magazine lock, assuming that every thing that needs to be pinned is addressed. Would such gun be clear of the current state of infringement ?

Said friend happens to be in MA... Obviously

"Bullet button" or new California lock system? Definitely not "bullet button". Our law doesn't have nearly as descriptive definitions. I wouldn't play that game if I was building a gun that was going to see the light of day, but that's just me. Sounds like a good way to wind up in court.

To be safe, I've been blind-pinning my magazines (pin and weld, like a muzzle device) and haven't had any issues.

Healy has declared that even a post AG ban stripped lower is unlawful.
But some shops/manufacturers are selling rifles with fixed mags with the AG's blessing, and if you build an 80% YOU are the manufacturer and the finished product functions the same. Again, more gray area in MA laws that only the law abiding are concerned with.

"Bullet button" or new California lock system? Definitely not "bullet button". Our law doesn't have nearly as descriptive definitions. I wouldn't play that game if I was building a gun that was going to see the light of day, but that's just me. Sounds like a good way to wind up in court.

To be safe, I've been blind-pinning my magazines (pin and weld, like a muzzle device) and haven't had any issues.
So if one was to build from a 80% lower- would it be mass legal now if a 10 rd mag was permanently welded to the lower? If guys are selling these then why can't someone build one for themselves? Please jump in guys- I'm new at all this.

Last edited:
Being sold by a FFL 07 so a federally licensed manufacturer. You have to decide if you think that makes a difference in MA with the new “interpretation” of the laws.

Manufacturing is a process. If, at the end of that process, there is a fixed box magazine, then it is not an AW.

From our AG's own enforcement notice
"provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include:
(vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or"

Also:
"Section 121 incorporates by reference the definition of “semiautomatic assault weapon” in the former federal assault weapons ban. This establishes that in Massachusetts weapons with the following characteristics are also within the definition of Assault weapon:2 18 U.S.C. section 921(a) (30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994: (B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of"

No matter how you read it, a non-detachable mag means it's not an AW.

Since the magazine is no longer detachable it isn't really a magazine but an integral part of the firearm.

Since it isn't a magazine there cannot be a round limitation to it.

So a 30 round ammo reservoir should be as legal as a nun in church.

IANAL, just speculation.

Since the magazine is no longer detachable it isn't really a magazine but an integral part of the firearm.

Since it isn't a magazine there cannot be a round limitation to it.

So a 30 round ammo reservoir should be as legal as a nun in church.

IANAL, just speculation.
yeah, NO.

Read MGL chp 140 sec 121 for the definition of Large Capacity Feeding Device

''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Fixed or detachable, more than 10 rounds is a large capacity feeding device and hence a felony. And no, don't go with a pre-ban magazine as you manufacture your new large capacity rifle. Once it becomes a fixed magazine, you have manufactured a NEW large capacity feeding device for your large capacity weapon and again, created a felony.

Spoilsport.

Ok, what if the "reservoir" were an integral part of the lower receiver? NOT an attached, fixed device but carved as one single unit from the same chunk of aluminum.
You sure your posts dont belong in Baseless Lies! ?

Read the definition. Fixed or detachable. The mechanism for fixed is not defined. Milled into aluminum, old magazine, dirty sock, coke bottle, crack pipe, it does not matter. More than 10 rounds is LCFD.

Look, if one can't poke fun at absurdity then what's the point of going on? From a more serious perspective you find faults in systems by exaggerating parts of it.

Relax, smell the roses and think of MORE ways to spit in the b***h's face. And yes, I'm aware of your and Jim's efforts in that area and I heartily approve.

Back
Top Bottom