80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH --LAST CALL--

Well, My DROs are in. I got two 6" and two 12" Igaging DROs. The two 12"s and one 6"
will be mounting on my Mini Mill The other 6" will be going on my Mini Lathe. I will get the
other one for my lathe at a later date. Now to make some brackets to mount them.

There is also the LED task light I am adding to the Mini Mill's Head. The Gooseneck, Flat
Reflector,and LEDs came from a $15 Desk lamp at wally world. The housing is from one
of my old camera's flash bulb reflectors. The finned heat sink is from and old computer
CPU fan. I have to fit the heat sink into the housing, wire everything, and mount it to
the Mill.

Malodave

Attachments

• DRO-1.jpg
    DRO-1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DRO-2.jpg
    DRO-2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH

Depending on the date, I can just swing up from Worcester with the lowers for the people attending and bring some jigs.

how long would each lower take to mill out.... i remember talk about staggering the attendance (morning, afternoon, evening sessions). is this feasible with 10 people per session.

how long would each lower take to mill out.... i remember talk about
staggering the attendance (morning, afternoon, evening sessions). is this feasible with 10 people
per session.

Once the Mill is Set up at Golddiggie's, He and I may make a run of one or two lowers before the
Build party to figure that out. I need to make brackets to mount the DROs through this weekend.

Malodave

Once the Mill is Set up at Golddiggie's, He and I may make a run of one or two lowers before the
Build party to figure that out. I need to make brackets to mount the DROs through this weekend.

Malodave
I recently completed a ColFax Tactical 80% lower using a floor mounted 14" drillpress. Wished I had the mini-mill the whole time. It probably took around 4 hours total machining time but I was being extra carefull and I have not done a project like that in a long time. My suggestion would be to set up the mini-mill to do the fire control pocket and then set up the drill press to do all the holes for the pins.

Take care with the trigger slot. At that point the metal is thin and can grab the bit quite easily.

Last edited:
This is the jig i have.

20130214_180622_zpsae409379.jpg

Those look nice. I like that they put inserts in to protect the jig when drilling. couldn't see in the picture if they put the drilling data stamped into the jig plates. Do the jigs work with all makes of lowers?
That jig looks nice. That plate on the lower right looks like it is for the trigger slot. That will help alot my jig did not have that and I had to measure and drill. It came out ok in the end but needed some help.

Well, My DROs are in. I got two 6" and two 12" Igaging DROs. The two 12"s and one 6"
will be mounting on my Mini Mill The other 6" will be going on my Mini Lathe. I will get the
other one for my lathe at a later date. Now to make some brackets to mount them.

Nice. Where did you buy your DROs? I'm thinking about adding a set. At least a Z axis for sure.

Yeah, I had been looking at amazon, but there are hundreds of different suppliers of them, most in that same price range. I was just wondering which one you used and if you were happy with their service.

For Amazon it was sold by Anytime Tools in CA. Grizzly shipped from PA. Even though I ordered
them a week apart, they showed up here a day apart. If you want it quick go with Grizzly.

Malodave

Having just gotten done with installing DRO's on my MM I can add this- do not solidly mount the back of the dro to the machine. (you will get bad readouts)
mount the ends of the scale as you would expect and then slot the mount on the back of the dro so the dro will float on the pin/screw you use to move the dro with/ I will try to take some pics to show what I mean. with a little screwing around you can get them to read accurately.

I had to drill and tap 6-7 spots to mount the xy and z dro.

For Amazon it was sold by Anytime Tools in CA. Grizzly shipped from PA. Even though I ordered
them a week apart, they showed up here a day apart. If you want it quick go with Grizzly.

Malodave

There is also the LED task light I am adding to the Mini Mill's Head. The Gooseneck, Flat
Reflector,and LEDs came from a $15 Desk lamp at wally world. The housing is from one
of my old camera's flash bulb reflectors. The finned heat sink is from and old computer
CPU fan. I have to fit the heat sink into the housing, wire everything, and mount it to
the Mill.

Malodave

It would be great to see how you were able to attach the DRO's to the Mini Mill... I'm hoping my mill will arrive some day. I'm guessing maybe by the end of March if I'm lucky

Having just gotten done with installing DRO's on my MM I can add this- do not solidly mount the back of the dro to the machine. (you will get bad readouts)
mount the ends of the scale as you would expect and then slot the mount on the back of the dro so the dro will float on the pin/screw you use to move the dro with/ I will try to take some pics to show what I mean.

Pics would be great, you kinda lost me there, as to which part you are talking about.

My DRO's have a remote readout.

Sorry I will try to get pics up soon.

the part I am talking about is the center part of the scale that slides back and forth.

if it is solidly mounted it can cause misalignment issues and the scale will not read correctly.

so I just went to a pin mount, and the mount on the back of the center part has a slot in it that rides on the pin. (in my case a screw)

I solid mounted mine first and had issues with not reading correctly. it would read ok in the center but not on the ends.

now it reads correctly. I milled the internals for my 1919a4 sat on it. much easier with the DRO. (this was a new set of internals my gun has been built for a few years.)

Last edited:
I have this lower, an upper and my bolt coming in the next week or so.
I guess this build is happening sooner then I expected.
I can't wait.
Do we need a "in" list for this?
If so I'm IN

I was wondering if you could give me more info on these mods. I would like to also do these if i knew what they helped / solved.I have access to lots of hardware. If you let me know what to bring I could probably just get it from my inventory. Thanks

On My three lowers, I am taping the Takedown detent hole to put a 4-40 setscrew in.
There is also a 1/4-28 that I will be doing on my lowers for an upper tensioning screw.
I had to by a box of 25 from Mcmaster Carr. The 4-40 setscrews I got at a local hobby
store from a package of 3/32 axle collars.

Malodave

The 4-40 setscrews are about 1/8" long. The Take-Down Pin Detent Spring needs to be clipped that much for it to fit and function.
The 1/4-28 x 3/8" Setscrew is for the 50 cent trigger job. Look online for the complete instructions.
Another 1/4-28 x 3/8" Setscrew with a Nylon tip is put vertically under the rear upper pin pin boss to put some tension on the
upper to reduce the wiggle in the upper similar to an Accuwedge.

Malodave

I was wondering if you could give me more info on these mods. I would like to also do these if i knew what they helped / solved.I have access to lots of hardware. If you let me know what to bring I could probably just get it from my inventory. Thanks

80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH

I am interested as well, threw in for one of the community jigs, I have no machining experience but HF is on the way over if supplies are needed.

Back
Top Bottom