80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH --LAST CALL--

At this point I haven't figured out the list of who's coming. I think that will be determined (more) by when the lowers, and such, arrive. I'll reserve spots for the first two people who will have AR15 jigs, and have a spot for someone with an AR10 jig. If one of the people with an AR15 jig, has an AR10 jig as well, even better. Either already owned, or part of the group buy. I don't think it will matter where the jig comes from with this.

After that, I'll have up to 8 more spots (I won't turn away another person, or two, but after that we'll need to figure something out) open. If some people want to do more late morning, afternoon, or evening, then we could get more done. I'd just like to keep the count [of other people] to 10 at a time. I'll also be able to set up some make-shift tables in the basement (saw horses and doors) for use either for food, tools, or both.

So, if you have jigs (either ordered or already) and will be coming, shoot me a PM so I know.

BTW, I'll be transferring an English pale ale to carbonating/serving kegs in the next day or two. So, we'll have more beer ready in case it's needed. Not sure if there will be enough time to brew another batch and have it ready for drinking, before the build day. If you want to bring food, shoot me a message with what you're thinking and I'll compile a spreadsheet of who's offered what. When it gets down to a week from build party day, we'll need to start firming things up.

I'm definitely interested in coming depending on the date which i know can't be set yet. I would bring my ar15 jig or even lend it to you guys if i can't make it.

I'd be in. Per my post in the other thread, I ordered an AR-15 and and AR-10 jig and would be happy to bring them both along.
I also have a couple table-top drill presses and a mini-mill if I can get all the parts organized.
Only limitation is that I have a one year old so not always easy to sneak away on the weekends.
If I can't make the date when it was set, I'd still be willing to loan the jigs in if someone wanted to pick them up/return them to me, so long as you guys agreed that if they got messed up, you would replace them.

80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH

I am in for this build party. Ordered 3 AR-15 and 1 AR-10 lowers. Contributed to to jig fund also. It will be a learning experience for me as I have not done anything such as this before. I am mechanically competent but no machining experience. Very grateful to all who come with tools and experience. I am as excited about getting the lowers as I am learning about the finishing work.

Cheers

I'd be in. Per my post in the other thread, I ordered an AR-15 and and AR-10 jig and would be happy to bring them both along.
I also have a couple table-top drill presses and a mini-mill if I can get all the parts organized.
Only limitation is that I have a one year old so not always easy to sneak away on the weekends.
If I can't make the date when it was set, I'd still be willing to loan the jigs in if someone wanted to pick them up/return them to me, so long as you guys agreed that if they got messed up, you would replace them.

I'm hoping that we'll have at least a couple of people who are experienced doing this. Having the two jigs will be great. If we can get the jigs, even if you can't make it at the start time, that would be great too. I'm more in the mode of making sure things line up 100% before drilling. I do need to align the lasers on my drill press. [smile] It's got frickin lasers man... I think we have another person who will be bringing a mini-mill, so we should be good there. I don't think I'll have enough bench space for a second one. Well, maybe if we move my lathe off of it's table (it's on wheels).

Once we get closer to the lowers arriving, we'll have to firm things up. I have no issue with a staggered schedule for the first day, and even a second build day (same weekend or following one). Just can't promise how much beer will be available on tap after the first day.

I would be willing to pick up the jigs if they are near me. I would also be willing to pay you for borrowing them. We will have to see what happens with the group jigs also.

I'm putting together a spreadsheet now with who has commented as to wanting to come and what they'll be bringing. Looks like we'll be in a good position with the jigs, if everyone comes through with what they've posted. Right now, we're at about 12 people, with one of those being a maybe.

Malodave, I have a large (vertical) compressor already here. I don't think I have a large enough breaker for the basement to feed the drill presses/mills that will be here plus two compressors. Mine won't need to run often since it has a 20 or 25 gallon tank. But, I could probably run it's cord to the first floor for power if needed. I have a small (2 gallon) shop vac here. If you have one that you think will be better suited for the task, by all means, bring it.

I've had PM's from a couple of people already, but I kind of need some information for those that will be showing up. Things like actual name (at least a first name), a contact number, short list of what you'll be bringing (type and number of lowers, jigs you have ordered, etc.) and such. There are a good amount of places for food, and such, in the area. Once we get closer we can decide if we'll have stuff made here, brought (I have one nuke in the kitchen and another I can unbox to reheat things) and whatever is going to work out. If you don't want beer, then maybe someone can bring some soft drinks too. I can get some, but if there's something you want to bring, I won't say no.

At this point, I think we can manage the entire group in a single day. It would be great if those with jigs, and machinery, could be here for the entire run. Once we're done (if it's just one day) then we'll need to get the machinery that was brought back into the transporting vehicles, and then do at least a halfway decent cleanup. I just don't want tons of metal chips all over the place. [smile]

I'll be working to get the basement better prepared for the build party as we wait for the lowers and jigs to arrive. With the one mill on a base already, we could have two, or three even, more mills/drills setup. If someone doesn't have a vehicle that can do the transport, let me know. I have a small truck (Ford Ranger) which we can use to transport the tools in. We'll need to carry anything brought that way into the basement early though. I would prefer to do that at least the day before the set build day. That way we're not scrambling to do it on build day.

I can't do weekends right now. I presume you were planning on a weekend day, correct?

I am interested in attending, but depends on the schedule. also if you stagger the time, i am flexible. Have only an AR15 block, no jig.

I can't do weekends right now. I presume you were planning on a weekend day, correct?

It depends. Depending on how things go, we could always give a week-day a shot. We might not have one of the mill's on hand after the weekend party, but I'll have my drill press. If we can have a jig on hand, then it's all good.

I could bring a crockpot of pulled pork and some rolls or chilli. I'd offer baked beans, but that might not be a good idea in a basement. Plug in the crockpot early and it'd be good to go for lunch or whatever with little effort.

Golddiggie, I'll PM you my info.

I could do a Monday when I am off for a weekday build party too.
Along with a Saturday and Sunday build party.

Collets will be in tomorrow. The First two DRO's will be in on Monday.
I have the two larger ones to order by the end of this week. My
two RRA LPKs will be in Next week too.

I have a set of transfer punches so that we can under drill and ream
the Trigger, Hammer and Selector holes. I also have a 3/8" (.375") and
5/32" (.156") reamers. 3/8" and 5/16" end mills.

I will write a small procedure up as a guide to work flow tonight.

Malodave

Last edited:
For 2 Jigs, one Mill and one Drill Press

One half of one jig will be clamped to the Mini Mill's
table to keep alingment with the table movements

The second jig will be used for the drill press.

Put lower in jig.

Use Transfer Punches to mark the Hammer, Trigger and Selector holes

Drill all three holes with a #23 or #24 drill

Chuck up 5/32 reamer and Ream Trigger and Hammer pin holes

Chuck up Letter "U" drill bit and drill Selector Hole

Chuck up 3/8" Reamer and ream Selector Hole

Turn jig upright and drill out most of the Fire Control Pocket
(Set Depth to not go to final depth, Will finish depth on Mill)

Remove lower from Jig and pass to next person.

Put lower into jig clamped on Mini Mill, Bolt the rest of Jig around
lower.

Move table to allow 3/8" end mill to enter jig.

Lower Mill head to take about 3/8" cut depth. Use some lubrication
for cutting, compressed air will be used to clear chips along with a chip brush.

Use table handles to follow jig pattern in a counter clockwise direction with mill
(movement speed to be determined)

Lower Head another 3/8" and repeat until desired depth is reached

Change jig plate, Repeat cutting procedure

Change to 5/16" end mill and Trigger Jig Plate

Position end mill to cut trigger slot

Lower head to cut slot, follow jig pattern to mill slot.

Remove Lower

Deburr edges by lightly filing or use deburring tool

Next Up

Replace 3/8" endmill. Zero DRO on Mini Mill

Options:

With two drill presses one is set up with the #23 drill and 5/32" reamer
the other with the "U" Drill bit amd 3/8" reamer

With two Mini Mills The second mill is set up with the 5/16" end mill for the Trigger slot
(May need a third jig for this)

Installing LPKs:

I would ask for some one attending to make a box about 24"W x 18"D x 18"H
with a plastic or plexi top window and cut outs for your hands to enter. Cut up
a pair of socks or shirt sleeves with an elastic band to go into the hand holes.
Tape up the inside seams also. See below

This would help if someone was to let a spring or detent fly out. You wouldn't
want to try and find it down in Golddiggie's basement if it got loose.

There will be tools available to install, Bring your own if you like.

I will have Vice Blocks and an Armorers Tool to attach buffer tubes available.

Malodave

LPKBox.jpg

Last edited:
i have some tools that will be good for deburring, like small files, countersinks, a swizzlestick (bonus points for anyone who knows what i mean by that) and whatnot. i will bring those too. will we have to tap anything? i have tap handles i can also add to my bag o' tools coming with me.

On My three lowers, I am taping the Takedown detent hole to put a 4-40 setscrew in.
There is also a 1/4-28 that I will be doing on my lowers for an upper tensioning screw.
I had to by a box of 25 from Mcmaster Carr. The 4-40 setscrews I got at a local hobby
store from a package of 3/32 axle collars.

Malodave

Pick up a 1/4" clevis pin from your local hardware store for about 25 cents. It will do the exact same thing as the tool that is sold by Brownells and others. It will keep you from launching any detent springs and you can save your box for keeping the beers cold.

Pick up a 1/4" clevis pin from your local hardware store for about 25 cents. It will do the exact same thing as the tool that is sold by Brownells and others. It will keep you from launching any detent springs and you can save your box for keeping the beers cold.

I have one already

Malodave

I would like to be in if there is room!

Send your info over (as previously posted) and I'll add you to the spreadsheet. Once we have either the lowers in hand, or a solid ETA on them, we'll start firming things up. If someone that has done this before knows about how long it should take to finish one of the lowers, we could use that time frame to stagger people coming/going.

For those that are looking to bring tools (mills, drills, big things)... How about we meet at my place sometime after the storm has passed? That way we can better judge how many machines we can set up and people will be able to be on hand at one time. I'd like at least one person to come over to give input.

I have a stand up drill press that could be used. I think you already said it wasn't needed. I would come by for a meetup but I have no idea how big the mills would be.

Golddiggie,

Just let me know when to come by.

Gator9329,

The Mini Mill sits on a 30" wide kitchen cabinet with countertop. So it is very compact.

The R8 collets are in. My LPKs from RRA are in. I used a 20% off coupon at Harbor Freight
to get a 115 piece TiN coated drill bit set for $40. The two 6" DROs should be here on Monday
The two 12" ones I just ordered this morning. ETA end of next week.The Mill will be put
back together this weekend. I purchased a small LED task light to add to the Mill. I will also
make a new smaller housing for it on my Mini Lathe this weekend too.

Malodave

The Mill is back together. The DROs will be here Monday and Tuesday.

Maybe someone attending would want to get a bottle of Birchwood
Casey Aluminum Black to color the milled part of the lowers.

Here is what I have scheduled to bring:

Tools:

Mini Mill w/DROs on Stand
3/8" and 5/16" 4 flute End Mills
115 pc TiN Drill Bit Set
5/32" and 3/8" Reamers
Drill Chuck for Mill
Transfer Punches
Drill Doctor (if needed)
AR Vice Blocks
AR Armorers Tool
Allen Wrenches
Small Pliers
Small Hammer
Rubber Mallet
Extension Cord
Digital Calipers
Micrometers
Dial Indicators
4-40 Tap
1/4-28 Tap
Tap Handle
Pin Punches
Vice Grips
Duct Tape
16 Gal Shop Vac

3 80% Lowers
3 LPKs
1-2 Butt Stocks
Can bring my first AR build
(still needs a Barrel)

Camera for Pix

Malodave

^^^^^^^^ LIKE A BOSS - nice list

sounds like all the stuff we need is being brought. I will also bring
new set of bits
vac
lights
taps

If anyone sees something missing or if we need multiple let me know. I have a lot of crap I could haul up.
I think we need to work on securing jigs

Last edited:
There is an offer to use one from a member in Merrimack NH. I may see about picking
that one up early so that Ii can set up the mill properly before the Build Party. I will
also look for my Depth Mic kit. (Found It)

For my own builds I will also have a 0.226 Reamer and 1/4-40 Tap to install the STBA
anti rotation pins from Tactical Innovations.

Malodave

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom