7th Circuit AR15 "not protected"

Sure, here's a simpler explanation:
"No, they haven't made a final decision yet. This is just a temporary decision while the case is still going on. The Supreme Court rarely gets involved in these early stages of a case."
Thank you

I understand that one

SCOTUS should have added the 3 cases they GVR'd to Bruen, and then they could
have stopped a lot of the BS the States and Lower courts are throwing a tantrum over.
They also need to put some Teeth in to the Rulings to stop the Politicians and
Legislatures from infringing our Rights again.

Malodave

SCOTUS should have added the 3 cases they GVR'd to Bruen, and then they could
have stopped a lot of the BS the States and Lower courts are throwing a tantrum over.
They also need to put some Teeth in to the Rulings to stop the Politicians and
Legislatures from infringing our Rights again.

Malodave
That would've been cool.

It's also not in keeping with their conservative nature. Making narrowly tailored decisions is part of how they historically maintained faith in the system.

Adding "teeth" is hard when they don't have the power of enforcement, by design.

Like so many have said, this process is slow and painful while we're in it. It's also the principled path to lasting change. It's how things went during the civil rights movement and we shouldn't be surprised by the same here.

so i see a lot of fuming about the new law 7th circuit just created out of the thin air - so, now what? it will have to be some actual case with a convicted person, where it is going to be used, in order to make it in 5-7 years into the scotus hearing?

The decision can be appealed to the Supreme Court, but IMO they are unlikely to intervene at this stage. So the case goes to trial with the ban in effect. At trial, for example, the plaintiffs can try to refute the assertion than semi-auto rifles are military weapons. After a verdict, it gets appealed back to the 7th circuit, most likely with the ban still in place. After that, it bounces to the Supreme Court. The Supremes dodged the Highland Park ban previously, but I suspect they’ll take this one, consolidate it with cases from the 1st and 9th circuits and issue a decision in 2026. At that point, it depends on the composition of the court and on Roberts.

Yeah but how much of a military rifle was it early on? AR-15 was sent to ATF in 1963 for approval as a civilian rifle. 70 years ago.
BTW It's M16 not M-16, but it is AH-64 or C-130
img_4159-500x680.jpg
I ran this through a web search.

$1,850.10
Adjusted for inflation, $189.50 in 1963 is equal to $1,850.10 in 2023.

Back
Top Bottom