• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

775 Yard to the Moose. Do you take that shot?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Personally I don't think I have the skill to take an animal properly at 775 yards. Interesting to see the chem trail from the round heading towards to moose. Basically a perfect shot. Lots of quick math involved.

Would you take that shot?

This Alaskan bush pilot got it done on a true giant of a bull.

For many people, an Alaskan moose hunt is the ultimate bucket list trip. There are few places left in America where you can truly get away from it all and get up close and personal with some of the largest bulls on Earth. A hunt for one of these beasts can be the ultimate challenge for the hunter who has otherwise done it all.

Adam, an Alaskan bush pilot, decides to take on the challenge of hunting one of these giants solo. It does not take him long to locate a true giant. This bull's antlers have an approximately 72-inch spread, making it the animal of a lifetime.

The bull is standing at extreme long range, 775 yards to be exact. Amazingly, he downs the monster moose with just one well-placed shot. This may be the single most impressive solo hunt we have ever seen.

Interesting to see the chem trail from the round heading towards to moose.

You can see the wake as short as 300 yards, possibly less. Saw this when shooting highpower at westfield.
Set the perralax on the scope or spotting scope to 150 yards and you could call where the bullet went into the target.

The way I shoot if it doesn't drop with powder burns it's too far. /s

I jest, but I don't think I have a gun that can drop that kind of accuracy, my main hunting rifle is a 16" barrel, no way I'd trust the gun.

I've shot my 30-06 out to 600, at that distance I'm confident I could hit it in the rib cage, but it wouldn't be the drop shot I'd like.

Personally I don't think I have the skill to take an animal properly at 775 yards. Interesting to see the chem trail from the round heading towards to moose. Basically a perfect shot. Lots of quick math involved.

is he going to eat it? if yes, how is he going to haul that moose now?
if not - why did he shoot it? meh.

whole deal with such shots is a solid probability to injure the prey and then have to go after it for who knows where and how long.

and, killing an alpha moose buck just for sport - it`s an a**h*** move.

Off the grid son Mark just called from AK. The rut is on. Every day he has two cows and up to seven bulls hanging around his house. The season is about to start. He's never taken a "long" shot. His wife picks them off with her .243. Head shots. They take them for the winter's meat, not the thrill. Jack.

whole deal with such shots is a solid probability to injure the prey and then have to go after it for who knows where and how long.

Well, he did bring a plane so...

My eyes make it hard for me to even reach out to 100 yds anymore.

I have to imagine he butchered it right on the spot. No way you can haul that all alone. Though that then attracts other unwanted attentions from bears and the like. The next question I have is who would want to be out there hunting in the wild all by themselves with only your plane some miles away to get out. That really makes it interesting.

They quarter it and haul it out in pieces.

My kneejerk response is to say that's an irresponsible shot....but obviously for that guy, he knew his skill level and proved it. Pretty amazing.

Hell of a head start for that moose though if he injured it.

Admitting to my own limitations, I would not take the shot.

I have to imagine he butchered it right on the spot. No way you can haul that all alone. Though that then attracts other unwanted attentions from bears and the like. The next question I have is who would want to be out there hunting in the wild all by themselves with only your plane some miles away to get out. That really makes it interesting.
Yeah. Probably put the meat in bags and moved it some distance from the carcass and gut pile.

They quarter it and haul it out in pieces.
Or go (almost) completely boneless. Every pound saved reduces the effort schleping it back to camp. If he's alone, 500 lb is probably 3-5 trips. If he took the shot from camp, that would mean between 2.5 and 4.5 miles he gets to hike with that meat.

do they really harvest there such big old ones? it gotta be not that great, i would think, plus, parasites?
The AK moose laws are complicated. Location in the state, time of year, antler spread and so on. They take what is legal. And know just how to cook the different cuts. Lots of burger. Also, they have to watch their chest freezer capacities. Lots of salmon and halibut in them already. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom