77% of 18-24 yr old Americans Unfit for Military Service

Sadly there is a lot of truth to this. Many of the young engineers and chemists I worked with were soft. No muscle definition what so ever, no biceps, no strength. I called them Pillsbury Dough Boys. Liberal whack jobs as well. One would pizz me off and I would call him a woman with a penis. Of course HR would beg can you please find a way to behave yourself until you retire.

Last edited:
You wouldn’t believe how many applicants I’ve thrown out because they asked “this drug test, does it screen for weed? I have anxiety so I have a medical card.”
If you can’t get along without it for the two weeks it takes to get out of your system, I don’t want you. Anxiety my ass, I was a sergeant in the infantry at 20 and responsible for other men. I’ve been shot at, stabbed, punched, and had my heart broken by some evil women. I shit on the participation trophy generation’s definition of anxiety!!
Drunken rant over.
If this is in MA you might be breaking the law as the employer. MA Supreme Court ruled you can't do much about medical MJ use in MA as an employer in terms of drug screens.

Massachusetts’s Highest Court Rules that Employee Fired for Medical Marijuana Use Can Hold Employer Liable for Discrimination

Since you're an upstanding E5 in the infantry at 20, no doubt you will toe the line immediately! At ease, SGT Pioneer! [rofl]

If this is in MA you might be breaking the law as the employer. MA Supreme Court ruled you can't do much about medical MJ use in MA as an employer in terms of drug screens.

Massachusetts’s Highest Court Rules that Employee Fired for Medical Marijuana Use Can Hold Employer Liable for Discrimination

Since you're an upstanding E5 in the infantry at 20, no doubt you will toe the line immediately! At ease, SGT Pioneer! [rofl]
Why, yes… of course!! We love the New World Order and hiring weaklings and paying them for nothing.
Disclaimer: Not happening in Massachusetts!

You'd have to be to want to join the military now.
I knew a guy that scored an 18 and was rejected back in the late 80's.
While a great mechanic and body work guy, he was on the borderlin of functional.
Doubt he could have continued as a mechanic for long once electronic controlls became commonplace.

I knew a guy that scored an 18 and was rejected back in the late 80's.
While a great mechanic and body work guy, he was on the borderlin of functional.
Doubt he could have continued as a mechanic for long once electronic controlls became commonplace.

Theres a job for everyone in the miliary. We actually had at least 2 legacy people who must of got in during the 80's or 90's who legitamatly were mentally retarded in some way. Super nice guys but they had obvious mental issues in terms of simple trouble shooting, etc. They were eventially shoed out somehow before we all deployed off for whatever cash creating operation the army had in store for us. We all were amazed that they got in and stayed for so long before the military was forced to act on it.

I think they just did simple clerk/admin/janitorial jobs. Which we certainly did need help with.

Why, yes… of course!! We love the New World Order and hiring weaklings and paying them for nothing.
Disclaimer: Not happening in Massachusetts!
I don't really agree with what people here are saying about "kidz these dayz." I'm just not seeing it. I teach kids BJJ and the kids that go to those classes are pretty fit, motivated, put together, etc.

When I look back at what I was doing in my teens compared to what kidz these dayz do in my class, the kids are doing a lot better than I was. Myself and my peers were a LOT worse when we were kids.

As for the drug test thing, eh. When have drug tests ever been worth it? All they do is catch people who use pot. Big deal.

I don't drug test any of my employees. All I care about is how they behave at work, I have zero interest in what they use outside of work hours.

I know a kid (acquaintance with my son - he doesn't deal with idiots well so not a friend) that got in the army. The kid was on at least 7 mind altering medications (ADD, ADHD, others) right up until he started the process. Went off the meds and didn't disclose it (I'm assuming because he got in quicker than my son with the pediatric seafood allergy that took skin tests & blood tests to get passed). This kid also got one of the lower tier support jobs due to ASVAB scores my son (after 20 minutes of studying) got a 93 with a top tier of 91-99 iirc.

Another reason why I am all but certain he went off them - kid was a rail his whole life, I bumped into him at the recruiting office one day, I didn't recognize him - seriously filled out (the soft kind as even his face).

Whatever. Still inexcusable. An entire generation of pu$$ies. Anxiety? Won’t have them. They’d be nothing but sick calls and AWOLs.

I think they have a lot to be anxious about though, don't you? The re-birth of communism, exploding inflation, dissolution of SS, a government trying to vax you to death, censorship, erasure of anyone who doesn't toe the line, unaffordable food, fear being jammed down their throat constantly. I could go on and on. Painting with such a broad brush seems unfair, since I could say the same thing about any other generation.

It's not like joining the mil is going to straighten them out either, since mil leadership is all about diversity equity and inclusion. AAMOF, the mil COULD be the last hope for restoring order without bloodshed, but its not. They just follow orders.

I don't really agree with what people here are saying about "kidz these dayz." I'm just not seeing it. I teach kids BJJ and the kids that go to those classes are pretty fit, motivated, put together, etc.

When I look back at what I was doing in my teens compared to what kidz these dayz do in my class, the kids are doing a lot better than I was. Myself and my peers were a LOT worse when we were kids.

As for the drug test thing, eh. When have drug tests ever been worth it? All they do is catch people who use pot. Big deal.

I don't drug test any of my employees. All I care about is how they behave at work, I have zero interest in what they use outside of work hours.
I expect this is the same kind of shitty statistics as the "30K+ gun deaths per year." Just like 2/3 of those are suicides, I'm guessing that most of these "77%" are going to be kids smoking pot, etc.

We went through a similar cycle about ten years ago, when they were having trouble getting kids to join the 3-letters for cyber roles.
.gov: We can't find qualifying candidates!
Techs: Have you even looked? We're still digging out of a recession, and there are literally thousands of recent grads.
.gov: Anybody who's ever tried the devil's lettuce, let alone psychedelics, need not apply.
Techs: Umm...that's your entire talent pool.
.gov: Why do you hate America? All is lost!!!1!1!ONE!!

Eventually, they've started to ease up. But complaining that most 18 year-olds won't pass today, because they'll pop hot on an MJ screen, is really dumb. It's a self-made problem, and it can be fixed easily - just de-schedule cannabis. And this is how we know Biden and company can't possibly care about fixing anything.

Sadly there is a lot of truth to this. Many of the young engineers and chemists I worked with were soft. No muscle definition what so ever, no biceps, no strength. I called them Pillsbury Dough Boys. Liberal whack jobs as well. One would pizz me off and I would call him a woman with a penis. Of course HR would beg can you please find a way to behave yourself until you retire.

Maybe it's all the microplastics and estrogen and pseudo estrogens in the food and water? The chemicals in all the food? Or how about the elimination of gym class, combat sports, cultural embrace of everyone gets a trophee? Who raised these kids to be like this? Surely it's not the parents fault.

Addressing any of these issues is a lot harder then just calling everyone pussies and thinking anyone else is better.

Maybe it's all the microplastics and estrogen and pseudo estrogens in the food and water? The chemicals in all the food? Or how about the elimination of gym class, combat sports, cultural embrace of everyone gets a trophee? Who raised these kids to be like this? Surely it's not the parents fault.

Addressing any of these issues is a lot harder then just calling everyone pussies and thinking anyone else is better.
I'm 100% sick of all these adults blaming the kids they raised for all the problems they see.

People need to look into mirrors a lot more often and shut the f*** up before they blame kids they failed.

I think they have a lot to be anxious about though, don't you? The re-birth of communism, exploding inflation, dissolution of SS, a government trying to vax you to death, censorship, erasure of anyone who doesn't toe the line, unaffordable food, fear being jammed down their throat constantly. I could go on and on. Painting with such a broad brush seems unfair, since I could say the same thing about any other generation.

It's not like joining the mil is going to straighten them out either, since mil leadership is all about diversity equity and inclusion. AAMOF, the mil COULD be the last hope for restoring order without bloodshed, but its not. They just follow orders.
Anecdotally, this is what I see. In the meantime, a lot of kids, these days have been indoctrinated so thoroughly by the left in the schools that they are actually welcoming the rebirth of communism, and all that awful stuff you mentioned. I get your point though. Every generation thinks the one coming behind them is so much worse. In this case, I think I’m right lol.

I graduated HS 87 out of 309 (Don't ask me why I remember that). I was a three time varsity letter earner in Cross Country and Track so I was in shape. I wanted to go in the Navy. Applied to Naval Academy and rejected. That didn't surprise me. So I go to enlist in the Navy. I was not a pot smoker or druggie and back in 78 they didn't drug test anyways. Passed all the damn tests and that crap and they rejected me on the physical. Said I was color blind, which I knew, and dyslexic, which I also knew. I always figured they messed up.

Fast forward to 10 years to when I finally graduate from College with a BS in Computer Science. I go through the whole process and get offered a job working at the CIA as a data analyst. All I had to do was pass a drug test, no problem at that time, however I decided to take a different job. Governemt is messed up. Not good enough to be a grunt in the Navy but a few years later I'm good enough to be a data analyst at the CIA. Go figure.

I graduated HS 87 out of 309 (Don't ask me why I remember that). I was a three time varsity letter earner in Cross Country and Track so I was in shape. I wanted to go in the Navy. Applied to Naval Academy and rejected. That didn't surprise me. So I go to enlist in the Navy. I was not a pot smoker or druggie and back in 78 they didn't drug test anyways. Passed all the damn tests and that crap and they rejected me on the physical. Said I was color blind, which I knew, and dyslexic, which I also knew. I always figured they messed up.

Fast forward to 10 years to when I finally graduate from College with a BS in Computer Science. I go through the whole process and get offered a job working at the CIA as a data analyst. All I had to do was pass a drug test, no problem at that time, however I decided to take a different job. Governemt is messed up. Not good enough to be a grunt in the Navy but a few years later I'm good enough to be a data analyst at the CIA. Go figure.
And you are a better person for it as well. You worked hard, kept at it, didn't expect anything to be given to you and my guess is you appreciate all you have worked for and all you have achieved in life that you justly earned.

The Navy has always rejected for color blindness, because being able to differentiate among different-colored wires and ducts is critical for keeping ships from doing things like catching fire.

I believe they're the only service that disqualifies everyone for color blindness. You could have joined any of the other ones, in many jobs.

The Navy has always rejected for color blindness, because being able to differentiate among different-colored wires and ducts is critical for keeping ships from doing things like catching fire.

I believe they're the only service that disqualifies everyone for color blindness. You could have joined any of the other ones, in many jobs.

I didn't get accepted at MA Maritime either so I figured it wasn't in the cards for me.

Got a job as a production mechanic at a crappy factory in Lowell fixing and maintain machines on assembly line and went from there. A few years later I met @richc when I got a job at Xerox fixing copying machines.

Always wondered what it would have been like in the service as I grew up living on bases as a military brat.

The majority of the kids from your Bjj classes are in the minority of kids like that.

The majority of the kids from your Bjj classes are in the minority of kids like that.

Maybe. The majority of my work crew is under 25 years old, I think most of them are 20. They arent the shit lords that NES constantly bitches about either.

They arent perfect but they're a lot better than I was.

If I had to bet the majority of the people here who bitch about "kids these days" arent exactly rock stars themselves.

Maybe. The majority of my work crew is under 25 years old, I think most of them are 20. They arent the shit lords that NES constantly bitches about either.

They arent perfect but they're a lot better than I was.

If I had to bet the majority of the people here who bitch about "kids these days" arent exactly rock stars themselves.

Future generations are shaped by the generations before them. They are just the product of that. And today, everything kids know about the world comes from social media and teachers of which the majority is shear propaganda designed to make them dumber and weaker and dependent.

I’ve been talking about the dumbing down and pussification of America for over a decade. It’s here in full form now. While the hive mind hasn’t infected everyone yet, the number of youth who are hard working, independent, intelligent, and rational is dwindling.

Neither are my students, in general.

Just an observation. I occasionally wonder how much actual time some NESers spend with actual "young people" at all, rather than reading incendiary articles about them.

No doubt the US contains vast swathes of militarily unsuitable raw material. But judging from the kids I work with, very few are morbidly obese. I'd imagine most of the numbers in that study are based on drugs, either prescription or otherwise.

Besides, there's plenty of combat footage these days showing fat Ukrainians fighting well enough. Being overweight is a disqualifier for many military jobs, but in a crisis? Plenty of fatties can (and will) fight. This country is PACKED with obese cops, firefighters, and USAF people; nobody seriously says they simply can't meet the demands of the job, just because they're overweight.

some NESers spend with actual "young people" at all, rather than reading incendiary articles about them.
MA and most coasts are not as bad as majority of midwest and actual south. you got to travel around to see how bad it gets where you have real poverty.
new england does not know what it is, when half of downtown buildings windows are covered in partially torn cardboards.

so what we have here is similar to how most of walking population on the streets of san fran would look like.

In 1988 at the ripe old age of 33 yrs old my recruiter drove me and a Norwood HS Junior to Brocton to take the ASVAB. I had been out of school for over 10 yrs and scored a 110 I believe which qualified me for any MOS I believe except for flight school which was around a 120. After Recruiter dropped off HS kid I asked how the kid did and he rolled his eyes and said under 50. While we were taking the test I occasionally looked over at him and he always had a clueless look on his face during the exam. In 2004 one of my E6's took a job as a fulltime MANG Recruiter out of Greenfield Armory and he told me back then biggest problem was getting access to Ma. HS's and the kids who were interested usually were disqualified for ADD/ADHD prescription drugs.
History repeats itself.

According to headline/story in this week's Epoch Times. The story is behind a paywall but here's a similar story from Military Times. We're f***ed as a country.

"A new study from the Pentagon shows that 77% of young Americans would not qualify for military service without a waiver due to being overweight, using drugs or having mental and physical health problems."

A slide detailing the findings from the Pentagon's 2020 Qualified Military Available Study shared with Military.com shows a 6% increase from the latest 2017 Department of Defense research that showed 71% of Americans would be ineligible for service.

"When considering youth disqualified for one reason alone, the most prevalent disqualification rates are overweight (11%), drug and alcohol abuse (8%), and medical/physical health (7%)," the study, which examined Americans between the ages of 17 and 24, read. The study was conducted by the Pentagon's office of personnel and readiness.

Read Next: The Army is Having No Issue Retaining Soldiers, Amid a Crisis Recruiting New Ones

Mental health accounted for 4% of disqualifications, while aptitude, conduct or being a dependent accounted for 1% each. Most youth, 44%, were disqualified for multiple reasons.

Interesting they left out medication allergies, I was turned down from 3 branches of service for such.

And of the 23% that the military deems fit for service, are today's military services worthy of THEM?

I look at what is becoming of our military, and our nation, and think it may be better to just let it burn.

My father served in the Korean War, I served 26 years total time in the military. I'd love my children to experience the good and bad that the military offers in order to be part of that brotherhood. However, I don't want to see my kids become a joke in some stupid social experiment.

MA and most coasts are not as bad as majority of midwest and actual south. you got to travel around to see how bad it gets where you have real poverty.
new england does not know what it is, when half of downtown buildings windows are covered in partially torn cardboards.

so what we have here is similar to how most of walking population on the streets of san fran would look like.

I have no doubt that's the case.

I suspect the problem, on the weight/fitness front, is matching supply with demand: the fittest people seem to come from the parts of the country where military service is less common. When I was in the army, the South was WAY overrepresented. But that's also, now, the fattest part of the country.

love my children to experience the good and bad that the military
i would rather cut my limb than allow any of my kids to get into anything military related at this point. it is a plain wrong time now.
at your time, to be in a safe cold war and frolic with frauleins on bases was a very different world than now, when most military gets prepped to massacre its own civilian population.

the only way to get there would be draft, as it would be very against my principles to cheat draft declared to deal and nation wide emergency - and i bet my son feels the same - but to get in there voluntarily, now - no way in hell.

i would rather cut my limb than allow any of my kids to get into anything military related at this point. it is a plain wrong time now.
at your time, to be in a safe cold war and frolic with frauleins on bases was a very different world than now, when most military gets prepped to massacre its own civilian population.

the only way to get there would be draft, as it would be very against my principles to cheat draft declared to deal and nation wide emergency - and i bet my son feels the same - but to get in there voluntarily, now - no way in hell.

The quickest way my parents would have found to get me to join would have been to "not allow me" to do so.

It was my choice, not theirs. I'd say the same about my own kids.

It was my choice, not theirs
yeah, kids are typical to do silly stuff with their lives.
[rofl]

i did wear a uniform for, what, almost 8 years i think. dunno. it is a very mixed bag. and it was a different universe with no real choices.

About a decade ago, before we were married, my wife was moving. Her youngest cousin offered the help of two of her friends. Both early 20's and both just out of the army. The two of them together couldn't lift or carry what my then mid 40 years old self could, and I would have said I was in pretty sad shape and with enough hardware in me to build a deck. Both of them struggled to hold up one end of the couch, never mind lift it up the stairs. That said, my friends' kids in the 18-24 year old range regularly help out us old guys with work on the various houses, and I am sure every last one of them could pass the physical. Most are entering trades now.

Back
Top Bottom