7.7jap HELP I NEED TO BUY 5 ROUNDS!!!!

7.7jap HELP I NEED TO BUY 5 ROUNDS!!! -UPDATED-

Ok, a little help?

Last saturday my family was over my grandfathers house to celebrate his 90th birthday as well as veterans day. As usual he asked me how his "Jap rifle" was.....

Earlier this year he had given me his last ditch Arisaka that he brought back from his service in WW2. My grandfather was a aircraft mechanic that was station on Iwo Jima very shortly after fell into US control. The Arisaka came directly from a crate and has NEVER been fired. It sat in his basement wrapped in rags since 1950 when he built the house, occasionally seeiing the light of day to impress the grandchildren!

While at his party he asked me if I was ever able to find ammunition as he always wanted to shoot it but couldnt get/find ammo. I told him I could get ammo and asked if he wanted to shoot it. This led to a conversation with a few other family members and we decided that I would hold a little WW2 rifle family shoot at HSC the SAT after Thanksgiving...

So, I need to buy 5 rounds of 7.7jap BUT I would like very softly load hand loads. Im not sure if my grandfather will actually shoot it but he is 90! In addition this is also the most important firearm I own, and the first rifle Ive ever held so I REALLY want it not to blow up with a full power 7.7 round. It has been safety checked and head spaced this will probably be the only time it is ever shot

Anyone?

Last edited:
I have 2 rounds. They are pretty soft loads IMO, but I did not load them. You can have them if you return the brass to me. I have put about 35 or so of these though my arisaka and they shoot perfectly.

ditto on factory loads here.....i can give you 5 rounds for the cause....think that what i have left? I would also need the brass back at some point in exchange for the rounds. Im in hanover days ? Im waiting on the die set dont thing it will be in soon enough though

Tha Arisaka isn't that stout a recoiling round. It is a heavy bullet, but it seems like a slow-burning powder, almost more of a shove than a snappy report. I'd say just buy a box of 20 and be done with it.

If you're nervous about the rifle "blowing up" (which seems pretty improbable for a zero-mileage service rifle), put it in a rest and trip the trigger with a lanyard. Work the action, inspect the brass, repeat until you feel confident enough to get in behind the rifle.

That's what we did with this rifle:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/162945-Basement-Find-(Japanese-Rifle)

I saw some 7.7 Jap at Law Enforcement Supply in Waltham awhile back. Hornady, I think. It was like $30 or so. Give them a call and see if they still have it. If you are anywhere near Chelmsford I recall Joe D having some as well.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I cant say thanks enough for all the support,advice,links and offers to reload and or send me ammunition!!! The NES community is the BEST!

I should be all set with what has been offered to me. Reps to all!

My apologies for slow responses as Ive been sick as a dog and working 14 hour days on top of that.

Dan

I will add to the the recoil. It is mild by hornady ammo. 150 gn bullet. I shot my first arisaka(s) a few weeks ago..not to shabby. Both where typical in my mind for accuracy about 4moa from prone. And the trigger was a surprise.....not to bad.

My apologies for the delay.... A HUGE thanks that offered up help /advice/ammunition to make this happen!

The good news is the Arisaka was fired for the 1st time since leaving the factory almost 80 years ago! The bad news is my grandfather was unable to attend.... he was still dealing with the flu and the cold temp on sat made it not the best idea for him to come. Instead we had my brother, who served with the Army Reserves in Iraq take the 1st shot with the rifle and he will be giving that piece of spent brass to my grandfather at his request ( damn it now I have to find another piece of brass ). All told my father, uncle, brother , sister in law, my wife and myself all took a turn with the arisaka and we are all very grateful to those here who helped make it happen

Pics as soon as I get them!

This thread has almost too much win. I'm in a similar boat. My papas 99 bring back is in my safe right now. I would love for him to shoot it one more time.

This thread has almost too much win. I'm in a similar boat. My papas 99 bring back is in my safe right now. I would love for him to shoot it one more time.

Go green, post a few pics of the rifle and I'll give you some ammo.

Awesome! And I'm glad your last-ditch-never-fired-[shocked]OMFG-the-GI's-are-coming rifle performed!

55_grain

PS: Don't worry about replacing the brass you gave to your grandfather. I can make another one!

Go green, post a few pics of the rifle and I'll give you some ammo.

I'll try to remember to get some pictures up here sometime. Unfortunately my grandpa is well past the point of even recognizing his grandson. But hes still one of the greatest men I have ever met.

Thank you for the offer though Mike.

I wanted to revive this thread to say thank you to all who took part...

At the age of 93, a week before his 94th birthday my grandfather John C Barker passed away on November 9th.

With the help of you guys here we all got to shoot his Arisaka and had a great day shooting as a family, something that is still regularly talked about.

Thank you guys

My condolences as well. I got to know my German grandfather the last 8 years of his life after I learned to speak German in college. We wrote each other letters and saw each other in the summer when he came over ('93-'96) after his wife died in '93.

T

Back
Top Bottom