7.62 AR questions

I have a LR-308 AP4 and it weighs in at 8.25 lbs. empty/no scope. Even with a 16" barrel it is shooting >2500FPS and is very accurate. Mine likes the 168gr. stuff best.
I think it would be a hoot to hunt with. The only hesitation I would have is that anti-hunters and even other hunters that don't know much about them, may look down on it and think it gives hunters a bad name. If I was up-country and away from others it would be great. I live on the coast so I have to stick with my shotgun.
FN FAL clips do not work with the DPMS. Extra clips are $.
AR's like to run wet with lube. This is especially true with new AR's that aren't broken in. DPMS reps. say the action needs to be just short of dripping wet new. Mine tends to stovepipe if not lubed well and I have a couple hundred rounds through it.

Two cents worth (maybe), on the utility of the Forward Assist:

I do not believe it is wise to employ the Forward Assist to overcome a failure to lock in battery as a result of normal firing, or dropping the bolt via the paddle. If the rifle fails to go into battery, you have some problem that banging on the forward assist is likely to make worse. Just cycle the action via the charging handle and drop the bad round on the ground.

Where the Forward Assist does have a legitimate role to play is when the rifle fails to go into battery as a result of a press check. Press checks are mainly a combat procedure, not usually useful for either hunting or target shooting.

Thanks for all the advice, I believe I will be ordering a DPMS LR-308 with 24" stainless barrel, although it won't be until the end of August[sad]. I hope it makes it to me before hunting season. Anybody know how long it will take to be shipped to my FFL, just approximate?

Diggs, I also live on the coast, but I have a piece of property in Effingham that I camp at a few weekends during hunting season. If you ever want to try out some rifle hunting, let me know. Plenty of deer and lots of land to hunt on.

As far as anti-hunters go, I have been harassed several times, even when carrying a bow. Driving up and down the road holding the horn, walking into the woods with an air-horn, even stopping and trying to pick fights with me or just screaming at me. I understand they may be upset by the sight of an AR, but they are going to make a scene anyway. I usually don't hunt if I see that another hunter is in the woods, as I have been shot at twice while hunting. I try to find a piece of woods that I can be in all by myself, and usually get up in a tree stand. I know an AR will rub some the wrong way, but I've dealt with it all before.

Anyway, the people with horns have actually scared deer into running right at me! That worked out well, especially when I thanked her for scaring the deer right to me. She cried her eyes out.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom