• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

6-year-old Falmouth girl found with gun in school backpack

It is funny how things change, when I was a kid we all had pocket knifes and every now and then you would see a kid wear his toy gun to school.God! What are we doing to this country?

even when i was a kid (and that wasn't that long ago) i had a knife in school and helped the principal open some boxes with it... she told me i really shouldn't bring a knife to school anyway and just not to do it again. simple enough. the country as it stands now is not the country i grew up in. it's really heartbreaking.

Now the kid will have a record, and will probably be expelled, I am sure that the DCS will investigate and maybe even try to put her in foster care or something.

We brought this whole zer0-tolerance thing on ourselves. There was a time in the not too distant past that zero-tolerance was regarded as a good thing by the stalwart defenders of law and order, it got carried over into the schools as a knee-jerk reaction with thousands of unintended consequences.

This situation totally sucks.

Falmouth police and the Department of Children and Families are investigating the incident.

Only two government agencies are investigating a child having a toy? Shouldn't DHS be involved? It was on a bus, so maybe TSA should join in. The poor kid will probably get labeled a domestic terrorist and wind up on the "no ride" list. Thanks heavens they're investigating. Next time the kid might have an umbrella. [shocked]

Ahhhh... for the good ol'days...

revolverad.jpg

OLD3_450_8.jpg

Ha I've seen little kids running around with AR style airsoft around my parents and my neighborhood. They leave a shitload of bbs everywhere but the kids looking like they're having a blast, if only i had them at that age.

I remember running all over my neighborhood playing army with fake guns. Kids got ketchup packs from mcdonalds to use as blood, it was a lot of fun! 15 kids running through yards, shooting each other, going home "bloody" and gettin hollered at for making a mess, not for "Oh my god are you ok?". On kid didn't have much money, he showed up with his father's .22 bolt action. He ha a handful if loose rounds too... Nobody got shot, but he was out of school Monday... I can't even begin to guess what would happen these days...

Poor kid. Too young to understand what she did wrong. No chance she would understand that she really didn't do anything wrong at all, and it's the adults that are wrong.

From the comments. [thinking]

That there is a major part of the problem!

My son saw a gun once when he was young and it may have scarred him for life. On the other hand, he is graduating next Saturday with an engineering degree and looking forward to going to the range with me when he gets home. I'm sure that will scar him worse.

I was suspended in 6th grade for forgetting I had my a cap gun in my jacket pocket.

I had forgotten it there after my weekend activities. The principal suspended me for 3 days due to the zero tolerance policy the school district had (grew up in Worcester).

It's pretty much tragic these days...I grew up hunting rodents in my neighborhood with a Daisy air rifle. Could never do that today.

Oh and in school if you had a beef with someone you met them in the playground after the final bell and settled it one on one.

I hate airsofts. Too damned realistic.
This... Reinforces horrible safety habits. I tolerated them until my oldest son's "friend" thought it would be funny to shoot at him while he was taking a break with his goggles off. Trip to the ER confirmed he lost a small chunk of cornea. Damn lucky he didn't lose the eye and it healed.

As much as my kids go to the range and as well as they know firearms safety rules (and the modified paint gun/airsoft rules), you can't account for the other idiots. Now if they want to shoot projectiles it's bb's in the backyard or paint-guns and firearms at their respective ranges.

Last edited:
So Nerf guns are also a "firearm"?

It depends on the courts finding regarding the nerf projectile - if it's a "shot, bullet or pellet" it qualifies, and "whatever means" removes the typical requirement that the propulsion be via explosive or deflagatory process.

For the purpose of this paragraph, “firearm” shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

Back
Top Bottom