6 hours , 100 miles $90 lunch that sucked

mac1911

NES Member
For what ever reason Wife convinced me a trip to bass pro with the kids would be good.
Ok pocket of cash and off we go.
Its about a 40-60 min ride...in total we where out the doors for 6hrs. It has to be one of the cheapest 6 hours of my life!

I had a mission a hard rifle case and a shipping box. Ahh the anti gun state of mass must be in on the gig.

For the record BassPro sucks for me.(2 hours walking around BP and The wife nor I spent any money other than the $2 in quarters at the shooting gallery) Much like every big box store Everything you want and NOTHING you need.
The case selection there was AWFUL. NOTE: I just want a simple single rifle hard plastic case. No extras NOT even a Fn handle.
Next Mission: Shipping box. I need a box to fit one of the cases I already have.
Big enough to fit the the cases the CMP ships the garands in. Roughly 54"x13"x6".....good luck with that. CMP used to sell the cases and the boxes?

Then Sadly we went to lunch at one of the places there at Patriot place.... $90 for a ap combo some fish and chips and mac and cheese. I should have known better. Went to CBS Sporting Club.....awful. Pretty much reminded me why I have not been back there since the week basspro/patriot place opened. I will not be back.

Fun day, not
best thing I had all day was Cumbies coffee and sausage egg and cheese on English.

Those shoppertainment places are like huge bug rappers. They suck you in with the big flashy signs,and lights... then zap! You're $100 poorer and have nothing to show for it.

Mr. Grinch, that you? LOL...

Should have kept driving to Cabelas. They are working on it, but it hasn't been completely Bass Pro'd yet. There's a ridiculous amount of odd milsurps and side by side and over under shottys. The usual overpriced Garands and Springfields in the library but there are still some worthwhile reloading supplies. Bought some 300 gr. .458 HP's for my SOCOM and some Trail Boss to play around with over the winter. There is more stupid hunting junk to NOT waste money on, and probably more to come until I can't stand shopping there any more. There are some old farts in the gun area that actually know their stuff.

MAC1911 - Have you considered just buying another CMP rifle? This way, you'll get a new green case and the box to ship an old one out. After all, one can never have too many rifles. :)

Don't encourage him- he's probably already filling out the form after reading your post. [laugh]

MAC1911 - Have you considered just buying another CMP rifle? This way, you'll get a new green case and the box to ship an old one out. After all, one can never have too many rifles. :)
well with the money I saved I might as well! like to get the rifle off this week.

Mr. Grinch, that you? LOL...

Should have kept driving to Cabelas. They are working on it, but it hasn't been completely Bass Pro'd yet. There's a ridiculous amount of odd milsurps and side by side and over under shottys. The usual overpriced Garands and Springfields in the library but there are still some worthwhile reloading supplies. Bought some 300 gr. .458 HP's for my SOCOM and some Trail Boss to play around with over the winter. There is more stupid hunting junk to NOT waste money on, and probably more to come until I can't stand shopping there any more. There are some old farts in the gun area that actually know their stuff.
NFW I dropt Cabelas 15 years ago. You know where Im heading if old milsurps are in the mix.

Mac, if you find a rifle case but not a shipping box, you can make a box pretty easy. I've done it.
Get a large piece of cardboard. (Refrigerator boxes work great, and you can get one for free from a local appliance store)
Lay it out on the floor and mark it all out with the gun case on it. Make sure to leave both ends long enough to make your end folds.
Use a long straight edge to bend edges (6 foot bubble level works well) then tape it up well after you have formed it into your box.

I know it is not as easy as having everything fit when you buy them but you can make up a strong box in about 30 minutes.

Also, call around to a couple of local gunshops about the type of rifle case you want and what your intended purpose is for it. You'd be surprised how many old straight-line rifle cases come in with traded-in rifles but are not given to the buyer. I remember Carl at Four Seasons showing me quite a few when I was in the back storage area with him a few years back. He just gives them away when someone buys a used rifle and is asked if it comes with a case...

With your woodworking skills, there's always pine...

wm_6564854.jpg

~Matt

Last edited:
For what ever reason Wife convinced me a trip to bass pro with the kids would be good.
Its about a 40-60 min ride...in total we where out the doors for 6hrs. It has to be one of the cheapest 6 hours of my life!

I had a mission a hard rifle case and a shipping box. Ahh the anti gun state of mass must be in on the gig.

For the record BassPro sucks for me.(2 hours walking around BP and The wife nor I spent any money other than the $2 in quarters at the shooting gallery) Much like every big box store Everything you want and NOTHING you need.
The case selection there was AWFUL. NOTE: I just want a simple single rifle hard plastic case. No extras NOT even a Fn handle.
Next Mission: Shipping box. I need a box to fit one of the cases I already have.
Big enough to fit the the cases the CMP ships the garands in. Roughly 54"x13"x6".....good luck with that. CMP used to sell the cases and the boxes?

Then Sadly we went to lunch at one of the places there at Patriot place.... $90 for a ap combo some fish and chips and mac and cheese. I should have known better. Went to CBS Sporting Club.....awful. Pretty much reminded me why I have not been back there since the week basspro/patriot place opened. I will not be back.

Fun day, not
best thing I had all day was Cumbies coffee and sausage egg and cheese on English.

LOL !

Have you tried "The Enchanted Village" at Jordan's Furniture yet?

(snicker)

Fun day, not

I have a couple of boxes guitars are shipped in the are probably close to the size you need

Totally agree on bass pro sucking.
Drive double the distance to Cabelas next time. Well worth it. They still have a good selection.
I don’t mind going through because the wife and kids enjoy it while I’m window shopping guns and ammo.
Since cabelas opened I think I’ve been to bass pro once.

Drive double the distance to Cabelas next time. Well worth it. They still have a good selection.
I don’t mind going through because the wife and kids enjoy it while I’m window shopping guns and ammo.
This. Cabelas is waaay better. For now anyway

This is rather weak on the rant rating scale, maybe 1.5 out of 10.

Regardless, they do suck. This past summer was the first and only time I set foot in a Bass Pro Shop (I usually go to Cabelas or other store). (And, we were surprised to see one of the Fish and Game guys from North Woods Law shopping there, named Lucas, with the black doggie that is with him on the show.) Anyway, the store was decent enough but all I wanted was some tick clothing, that stuff embedded with permethrin at the factory so you don't have to spray it on. They didn't have a good selection or my size, so that was that. When I got home, I ordered it online from their web site. I got a confirmation email about the order. Two weeks later, I'm sitting here thinking to myself "Didn't I order some tick clothing 2 weeks ago? Where the heck is it?" So, I logged into the Bass Pro account I had created, and no order was listed. I went and checked the email, and clicked on the link there, thinking maybe that could successfully take me to the order. It failed. So, I tried the online chat with support on their web site. It turns out they just canceled my order for no good reason claiming it "failed verification", and couldn't even be bothered to send me an email about it, leaving me hanging. If they had some kind of issue, they had both my email and my phone number, but they just cancel me like I'm some kind of scammer who's not worth the time.

Here's the chat with the support:
[07:57:45 PM]Hi, my name is Emily. Thank you for letting me assist you today!
[07:57:50 PM]Me: Hi
[07:58:09 PM]Emily: Hello!
[07:58:10 PM]Me: 16 days ago I placed an order online and got a confirmation email. There's no sign of my order,
[07:58:18 PM]Me: and my account claims there's no order history
[07:58:24 PM]Emily: One moment please, while I look up your order.
[07:58:24 PM]Me: Order Number: xxxxxx
Order Date: 05-27-2018
Confirmation Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx
[07:58:29 PM]Emily:
Thank you.
[07:58:43 PM]Emily: I'm afraid that your order was voided because it failed our verification process. Please note that you were not charged, and you are welcome to place a new order if you would like to. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
[07:58:58 PM]Me: Why did it fail a verification process?
[07:59:21 PM]Me: And it would have been good if I was contacted about it, since I was awaiting the items and they are hard to find.
[07:59:42 PM]Emily: I apologize, I do not have the specific information. You can call 800-633-4407 for more information. Their hours are M-F 8am to 8pm and Saturday to Sunday 7:30am to 4pm Central Time.

Well that was not too useful... and I'm not about to place an order again, the old fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me thing. I have never had any kind of online order like this canceled, ever, unless it was out of stock or some kind of sensible reason like that. Anyway, I know where I won't be ordering anything from in the future.

Which BP were you in? Did they not even have the cheap Flambeau cases?

At my old shop I was pleased to give a shipping box to a customer who needed one. We kept a bunch in the vault for shipping rifles back to the maker for warranty repair.

Until they merge completely anyway.

I needed to ship some rifles and ended up at Cabela's looking for cardboard boxes. I went back to the counter that does the transfers and asked if they had any used boxes from receiving new rifles. They ended up giving me 6 brand new boxes for free.

Try the Conrainer Store for shipping boxes. I built a shipping box out of 2x4s and Melonite to ship my Sharps back for repairs glad I had the rifle in a plastic case UPS still managed to punch a hole in the Melonite. Whole thing weighed at least 25 lbs and cost $60 for postage and insurance.

Mac, if you find a rifle case but not a shipping box, you can make a box pretty easy. I've done it.
Get a large piece of cardboard. (Refrigerator boxes work great, and you can get one for free from a local appliance store)
Lay it out on the floor and mark it all out with the gun case on it. Make sure to leave both ends long enough to make your end folds.
Use a long straight edge to bend edges (6 foot bubble level works well) then tape it up well after you have formed it into your box.

I know it is not as easy as having everything fit when you buy them but you can make up a strong box in about 30 minutes.

Also, call around to a couple of local gunshops about the type of rifle case you want and what your intended purpose is for it. You'd be surprised how many old straight-line rifle cases come in with traded-in rifles but are not given to the buyer. I remember Carl at Four Seasons showing me quite a few when I was in the back storage area with him a few years back. He just gives them away when someone buys a used rifle and is asked if it comes with a case...

With your woodworking skills, there's always pine...

wm_6564854.jpg

~Matt
just for reference : Insurance claims will be denied for home made boxes. Im tempted at this point to just drive it there!!!!

Which BP were you in? Did they not even have the cheap Flambeau cases?

At my old shop I was pleased to give a shipping box to a customer who needed one. We kept a bunch in the vault for shipping rifles back to the maker for warranty repair.
They had cheap cases , they all where cheap just to F.n BIG.

as for gun shops....went to all and most guns are shipped in small boxes with out a case.

The cmp hard case needs a 54" x13"x6" box.

I’ve found the best thing to get at BPS are the warm candied nuts from the snack bar at the back of store on main level. They are tasty and cheaper than anything else they sell in the store. Other than that, shop local.​

This is rather weak on the rant rating scale, maybe 1.5 out of 10.

Regardless, they do suck. This past summer was the first and only time I set foot in a Bass Pro Shop (I usually go to Cabelas or other store). (And, we were surprised to see one of the Fish and Game guys from North Woods Law shopping there, named Lucas, with the black doggie that is with him on the show.) Anyway, the store was decent enough but all I wanted was some tick clothing, that stuff embedded with permethrin at the factory so you don't have to spray it on. They didn't have a good selection or my size, so that was that. When I got home, I ordered it online from their web site. I got a confirmation email about the order. Two weeks later, I'm sitting here thinking to myself "Didn't I order some tick clothing 2 weeks ago? Where the heck is it?" So, I logged into the Bass Pro account I had created, and no order was listed. I went and checked the email, and clicked on the link there, thinking maybe that could successfully take me to the order. It failed. So, I tried the online chat with support on their web site. It turns out they just canceled my order for no good reason claiming it "failed verification", and couldn't even be bothered to send me an email about it, leaving me hanging. If they had some kind of issue, they had both my email and my phone number, but they just cancel me like I'm some kind of scammer who's not worth the time.

Here's the chat with the support:
[07:57:45 PM]Hi, my name is Emily. Thank you for letting me assist you today!
[07:57:50 PM]Me: Hi
[07:58:09 PM]Emily: Hello!
[07:58:10 PM]Me: 16 days ago I placed an order online and got a confirmation email. There's no sign of my order,
[07:58:18 PM]Me: and my account claims there's no order history
[07:58:24 PM]Emily: One moment please, while I look up your order.
[07:58:24 PM]Me: Order Number: xxxxxx
Order Date: 05-27-2018
Confirmation Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx
[07:58:29 PM]Emily:
Thank you.
[07:58:43 PM]Emily: I'm afraid that your order was voided because it failed our verification process. Please note that you were not charged, and you are welcome to place a new order if you would like to. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
[07:58:58 PM]Me: Why did it fail a verification process?
[07:59:21 PM]Me: And it would have been good if I was contacted about it, since I was awaiting the items and they are hard to find.
[07:59:42 PM]Emily: I apologize, I do not have the specific information. You can call 800-633-4407 for more information. Their hours are M-F 8am to 8pm and Saturday to Sunday 7:30am to 4pm Central Time.

Well that was not too useful... and I'm not about to place an order again, the old fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me thing. I have never had any kind of online order like this canceled, ever, unless it was out of stock or some kind of sensible reason like that. Anyway, I know where I won't be ordering anything from in the future.
had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. tried to order a 10-rd mag for my G17. order got canceled. lots of back and forth lead to:
them: we can't ship mags greater than ten rounds to MA.
me: cool. but this is a 10 rounder; that's not greater than ten rounds.
them: no can do...blah blah law/policy.
me: ... [headdesk]​

Back
Top Bottom