• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

6.5x55 Swede vs. 7.5 Swiss

Both of these cartridges seem like they'll accurately go the distances I need them to go, with an edge to the 7.5 Swiss.

I like both the M96 and the K-31 from what I've seen.

How about the recoil? For those of you who have shot both, which one has stiffer recoil?

I'd guess the 7.5, but how bad can it be?

Thanks in advance for the sage advice.

From what I've found recoil is mostly in the gun's design. K31s have more because they are a carbine design. I haven't shot a Swiss 96/11 or 1911 long rifle so I can't comment on the recoil they have, but I do know the M96 Mauser long rifles have little recoil.
As for accuracy, I'd say 6.5 Swede is more accurate than 7.5 Swiss.

Swiss K31s and Swedish M96s are probably the two best milsurp B/As out there for accuracy. Can't go wrong with either. However, if you want to hunt with it as well you should go with the 7.5 as the 6.5 may not be legal in many areas for larger game like deer.

Thor,
They are both excellent guns and calibers.
The 6.5mm Swede is probably the easier one to reload for.
The K31s tend to be very picky about the bullet because they have very short chamber throats.
The 6.5mm can shoot bullets from about 85 to 160 grains.
Because of the fast twist, the 6.5 will do its best with heavier (longer) bullets.
The recoil of the 6.5 is not unpleasant with any of the commonly available rifles. The muzzle blast of the M94 carbine with the 17" barrel is severe.
The 6.5 brass is easy to find and you can make perfectly satisfactory brass from 30-06, if you need.
Finally, if you fall in love with the caliber, the 6.5 Swede is available in many modern sporting rifles.
The 6.5x55mm cartridge is roughly equal to the .270 Winchester in performance.

However, if you want to hunt with it as well you should go with the 7.5 as the 6.5 may not be legal in many areas for larger game like deer.

?????????????????????????????????????

I can think of no better cartridge for deer than the 6.5X55. There is no state that doesn't allow it for big game hunting. Plenty of power (The Swedes have taken thousands of moose with it).

I know there are some states that restrict anything under .24 (6mm), but you'd have to show me one that restricts anything under .30.

I think you left out one other great rifle???

I think the finnish M39 is equal to the swede and the swiss too. The three are top shelf bolts and accurate in my book. But the swede holds the record for less recoil.

Back
Top Bottom