• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

500 J.I.C.™ (Just In Case) Shotguns

JIC™ 500® Cruiser® kit includes:
500® Cruiser® 12 gauge pump-action, 6-round capacity, 18-1/2” barrel, bead sight, blued metal finish
Waterproof Survival Kit-In-A-Can, containing the necessities to keep you going when an emergency strikes
Floating synthetic carrying-tube with shoulder strap
Tube includes a heavy-duty synthetic seal, factory tested to be air-tight and waterproof to a minimum of 17psi or 40’ when properly installed
Gun lock
Swivel studs
Owner’s manual
Contents packaged in heavy-duty re-sealable bag
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone own one of these? Worth the $350 for a SHTF or a HD gun?

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28&display=feat#

Last edited:
I think they're kind of a neat idea...I got the chance to check one out when they first came onto the scene. I like the fact that the tube is waterproof and that there's plenty of room for ammo and more survival stuff, (they really don't give you much, but you can add more). What you may want to consider however, (and there's room), is adding a top folder and a wrench to install it. Pistol gripped shotguns generally suck - especially for accurate shooting, so toss a top folder in there and you're GTG....Is it worth the dough? Maybe not materially, but it is a good start for a "grab-n-go" kit....

300_167154.jpg

I think the consensus is that it's a good gun, IF you put some sort of stock on it. You would probably be better of buying one with a stock and building your own case out of PVC pipe.

300_167154.jpg

I think the consensus is that it's a good gun, IF you put some sort of stock on it. You would probably be better of buying one with a stock and building your own case out of PVC pipe.

Yeah, good point...It would be fairly easy to replicate, but the nice thing is, they take care of much of that for you already. If I had the spare funds, (which I don't), I think I'd pick one up just for that reason. The tube was roomy enough and we measured it a few times to see what else we could get in it.... We figured a few boxes of buckshot/slugs, a topfolder, several CG survival bars, a few broken down MRE's, more first aid supplies, a small GPS and a handheld HAM. Maybe more, but then it starts to get heavy...

I'm going to echo what the others have said. As with any shotgun, get a stock so you can hit what you aim for. Other than that, rock and roll.

Was just talking with a friend about this gun today. He had the older "cruiser" model a while back, and couldn't believe he had bought it. He still can't come up with a reason why he actually owned the gun. No fun to shoot...

As stated above, a stock would certainly help to alleviate this. I had a side folding pistol grip stock on my old 500 for a while, but disliked it. Top folder may work better, idk.

If I had a boat, I'd get the mariner version. Being boatless, and already having a 500A, I would have to pass on the kit. It's a great idea though, one I've recommended to a few friends, stock included of course.

we have the exact same gun--was absolutely no fun to shoot and after you pull the trigger once, you really don't want to again.

knoxx stock is now on it and it's great.

invest in a 500 that has a stock, imo, and buy a ditch bag-- it is the same $$

we have the exact same gun--was absolutely no fun to shoot and after you pull the trigger once, you really don't want to again.

knoxx stock is now on it and it's great.

invest in a 500 that has a stock, imo, and buy a ditch bag-- it is the same $$

Did you put on the Knoxx Spec-ops stock or the Knoxx pistol grip with recoil reduction?

I have the Spec-Ops recoil reduction en route for my Persuader, but wondered how effective the Knoxx pistol grip is for a cruiser. It would certainly make the J-I-C kit a lot more viable for me.

Back
Top Bottom