50+ car pile up on I-93

Wow!

Another good reason for keeping your distance from the car in front, although I'm not sure how much that would have helped someone here.

i saw this on the news-- pretty nasty.

why do people forget how to drive in this weather?

especially the people who have lived in MA or NE all their LIVES! So many people are just idiots when it comes to driving in inclement weather.

Granted, I dont have a great driving record, BUT I have never had an incident in inclement weather, which is when most people cause some damage.

everyone who has 4 wheel drive thinks that they can do anything they please.
Problem is you may have 4 wheel drive but in snow and ice you don't have 4 wheel stop. Remember what they taught you in physics about inertia?

everyone who has 4 wheel drive thinks that they can do anything they please.
Problem is you may have 4 wheel drive but in snow and ice you don't have 4 wheel stop. Remember what they taught you in physics about inertia?

*ding*

I was out in the last snow storm with my RWD car with studded snowtires and all I did was watch idiots in 4Runners, Escalades, Explorers and other SUVs slide off the road or get stuck. I know the limits of my winter setup, apparently they automatically think AWD or 4WD is some sort of a get out of snow free card.

I can get my RWD car through tougher stuff than the average person with an AWD car can.

have to love the four wheel drive people on the highway-- 4x4 is not the same as vehicle skid control [rolleyes]

how about the idiot in front of you while you are driving up hill that nearly stops and screws everyone behind them...

if ya can't drive in this weather, stay off the effin road, people!

have to love the four wheel drive people on the highway-- 4x4 is not the same as vehicle skid control [rolleyes]

how about the idiot in front of you while you are driving up hill that nearly stops and screws everyone behind them...

if ya can't drive in this weather, stay off the effin road, people!

agreed 100%. I tend to turn off the traction control in my car in this weather, which puts me basically on the road as a 4x4 vehicle with only two wheels being driven by the motor )no active traction control, slip detection, etc).

I find it easier to drive with the TC off than with it on. I cant stand having the car decide when I want to cut power to the wheels because of a slight slip or change in velocity across the axle. I find it takes power away when you need it.

the other thing is that people switch on 4 wheel to be safer and then hit the gas- what sense does that make?

tihs accident is horrible. goodness knows how they can get help in there.

that is a tangled mess.

I drive my Wrangler in 2WD until it gets stuck, then get out with 4WD. 4WD instills a false sense of security and puts you out of touch with what the road conditions truly are.

*ding*

I was out in the last snow storm with my RWD car with studded snowtires and all I did was watch idiots in 4Runners, Escalades, Explorers and other SUVs slide off the road or get stuck. I know the limits of my winter setup, apparently they automatically think AWD or 4WD is some sort of a get out of snow free card.

I can get my RWD car through tougher stuff than the average person with an AWD car can.

Yeah? Well I'm even MORE badass... I drive my RWD Mustang around all winter with tires rated for 'summer/dry only'!

i saw this on the news-- pretty nasty.

why do people forget how to drive . . . ?

I fixed it for you.

Most of those folks have no clue how to drive in any weather!

especially the people who have lived in MA or NE all their LIVES! So many people are just idiots when it comes to driving . . .

Fixed it for you too. [thinking]

The most vehicles I covered in an accident was 8. 60? What a frigging nightmare.

I can't imagine the poor officers who have to write up the accident reports. My sincere sympathies to them! <Not kidding>

I fixed it for you.

Most of those folks have no clue how to drive in any weather!

Fixed it for you too. [thinking]

I can't imagine the poor officers who have to write up the accident reports. My sincere sympathies to them! <Not kidding>

Seriously! That was my thought too - pity the poor police working that mess.

There is no shame in driving a 4x4 or SUV. The shame is in not knowing how to drive it. An experienced driver will have little trouble with a New England winter, whether they drive a 4x4, fwd or rwd. Drive a 4x4 for the same reason you bought a certain sized chain saw, or that special scope for your favorite shooter. Its a tool that helps you get the job done.

People are so quick to forget that a 4x4 does not do you any good on ice, nor does it make you invisible. I drive a Saturn, when the weather turns bad, I stay home. It never ceases to amaze me how people forget about common sense.

My daughter goes to school in Burlington and had to delay her depature today because of the mess that accident made. I'm still waiting for the 'I'm here dad' call. She's not due until around 7 anyway.

Seriously! That was my thought too - pity the poor police working that mess.

Its probably not too fun either for each person involved trying to fill out that accident report. You know, where you have to number and draw all those little rectangles (for each car) with arrows as to which way each was headed, plus description. Just to be a jerk, I'd probably fill out the form with 60 little rectangles and a giant rectangle all on it, all pointed in different directions with dozens of arrows drawn in squiggly patterns all over the place.

I drove by that horror show on the other side of the highway. People were speeding by me at over 60 while looking directly to the side at the accident. I just putted along and got to work 15 minutes late but alive. and yes the 4x4 was switched on in the Jeep, I still go slow.

People seem to be jumping to conclusions about 4WD or AWD being a factor in this accident. It was on a highway with people all going 40 to 50mph. The cars were already moving so 4WD had little to do with it. Since all the cars were moving at a steady speed, they had already gained their momentum. Also, the video I saw showed plenty of 2WD cars involved.

One thing that might have helped would have been if all the cars had real snow tires instead of the all season crap most people use these days.

Alright, so I drove from upstate New York (left 9PM last night), through Vermont all the way on I89, then I93 to 128. Heavy snow almost from the time I got on 89 all the way to the end of the trip. I slipped a few times, but only twice (once when a big rig going about 70 blasted past me) did I lose control of the slip for more than a quarter of a second. I was on the road for 10 hours, 7 of them in that pounding snow overnight, and had gone 22 hours without a wink of sleep by the time I got into the Boston area. Furthermore, there were no plows operating in Vermont while I was there, so it was just a few inches of snow packed onto I-89, nothing else, and very little in the way of tracks to follow, and NH had only begun plowing by the time I got there, yet I had no problems.

I own an AWD car. I understand that it does nothing once you're moving at speed. I don't drive any differently than I did with my old MILFmobile minivan. However, I do agree that many morons who own AWD cars think it makes them invincible.

Back
Top Bottom