• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45 Compact for Carry..Recommendations?

GlockJock

NES Member
I'm thinking of bumping up to a .45 compact for Every Day Carry....Suggestions? Your experiences?...gotta be compact, as the clothing I wear on my job restricts my choices somewhat....currently a G26 is my EDC, along with the G43 mouse in pocket.
Your thoughts?

I carry the Springfield XDS45. Although I like the double stack grip much better, it hides so well that you can still rock a tight fitting t shirt with a iwb.

I would recommend this one.

yeah, or any other compact polymer framed pistol...glock perhaps. a steel frame .45 is gonna be heavy.

Not necessarily true. I have a G30S and a Kimber Pro Carry II and I did a comparison between the two as follows.

G30S Kimber Pro Carry II Advantage
Magazine Capacity 10 7
Weight Oz. 24 27
Height Inches 4.8 5.25
Length Inches 6.96 7.7
Width Inches 1.27 1.28

With the exception of magazine capacity the two guns are very close in specs with Kimber being a couple ounces heavier.

Of the two, I prefer the 1911 platform for carry.

Not necessarily true. I have a G30S and a Kimber Pro Carry II and I did a comparison between the two as follows.

G30S Kimber Pro Carry II Advantage
Magazine Capacity 10 7
Weight Oz. 24 27
Height Inches 4.8 5.25
Length Inches 6.96 7.7
Width Inches 1.27 1.28

With the exception of magazine capacity the two guns are very close in specs with Kimber being a couple ounces heavier.

Of the two, I prefer the 1911 platform for carry.
huh! interesting, never knew that the pro carry II was that light. i carry a g36 sometime, glock sez 22.5 oz. never weighed mine so i got to take their word.

next time i see the kimber i'll check it out. good info, thx.

Shield 45. Light, thin and 7+1 with the extension mag. I like the longer mag grip. Price is right, and shoots better than I thought it would for a small 45 pistol. I own and carry in a CYA clip on holster no issues. I still get good velocity with 185 grain underwood carry ammo.

Others I have shot/carried.

Springfield XDS 45 - killed my hand, trigger slap, etc Uncomfortable to shoot even target loads. At least for me it was.

3" 1911 - was not reliable, and physically heavy for a small gun.

Glock 30 - not bad, carried for a while, little bit too thick for all around carry. Like the capacity though, good 3+ season carry, but I like my G19/32/23 a little better....

G30SF is a great carry gun. Heavier clothing in the winter conceals it well. It feels like the closest a polymer gun can get to feeling like an all metal frame gun. Add some talon grips and you’re carrying a solid piece.

Unfortunately, if you’re carrying in an office, you’d probably do better with a G36 and still remain a Glock Jock. If they made a Walther PPS M2 in .45 that’d be another awesome carry piece.

There is a G30S in the classifieds.
I have been pondering that or a G30SF...
Going with the G43 at the moment when I do carry.

I've had a G30SF, 3" 1911, a S&W M&P 45C and a Shield 45. Have recently handled the new (to us) XDS45 as well.
I thought the G30 to fat and heavy. Even more so than the M&P45c. The XDS is nice (I like the grip safety) but am currently in love with my 45 shield.
It carries like a small gun but shoots (comfortably) like a bigger gun.

When I feel like carrying .45 I carry a springfield XDM 3.8C. It's basically the same size as a Sig P320.
I have a pierce extension on 3 of my mags that makes them 10 rounders. Easy to carry
shoots great....may be tough to find in mass but worth a look.
XDM_zpsbhrc4ctx.jpg

Otherwise I'd go with the Shield .45....surprisingly easy to shoot

I'm thinking of bumping up to a .45 compact for Every Day Carry....Suggestions? Your experiences?...gotta be compact, as the clothing I wear on my job restricts my choices somewhat....currently a G26 is my EDC, along with the G43 mouse in pocket.
Your thoughts?

You're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Take the money you would have wasted on a .45 and buy a few cases of 9mm and a shot timer instead.

You'll thank me later.

ETA: I have a self admitted bias- I think any .45 smaller than a G30 is kinda f***ing stupid, although the XDs .45 is at least passable, but it's still generally a stupid idea. To qualify my statement a bit- I carried an HK USPc .45 for awhile, as well as two different .45 ACP LWT Colt Officer's mods. At least in the latter case I figured out doing so was pretty retarded, but it took a long time for me to cross that bridge...

If you're bored and want a Sub .45 just go buy it- but please don't make excuses for it about how its radically better or something- because it isn't. You're basically selling yourself on a lie. If you're going to buy one do it because you want to- and nothing else.

-Mike

Last edited:
Shield 45 gets my vote. Have well over 2,000 rds thru it, very dependable. Shoots everything I put in the mag including my reloads. I practice between 7 and 20 yards and have found the pistol to be very accurate. Easy to conceal and very comfortable to carry. Did some trigger work on it got it to a smooth 4 1/2 trigger pull.

Take a look at the Sig P220 Carry for another option. Actually, for some reason they stopped making the P220 Compact which I prefer and have for EDC. Grip is smaller than the Carry and it tucks in quite well with an IWB holster. Friends that know I carry don't spot it even when I'm just wearing a t-shirt. Maybe a used Compact could be found...

I'm confused ...other than weight how does 3" off the muzzle end make a 1911 more concealed? The grip and rear of frame still sits above the waist the same.
I carried a 1911 for years but finally got my mitts around double stack thick grip....points so much more natural than the thin single stack grips. Now im looking into some better fitting grips for my 1911.

My favorite small carry gun is my SW 38 airweight. Easy pocket carry

Back
Top Bottom