.44 Rem Mag Loads Wanted

Patriot

NES Member
I've got a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter, with 7.5" barrel and the following powders:

AA #2
AA #9
AA 2700
Win231
Titegroup

Anyone want to share some good loads you have experience with for shooting 240 lead RN,
240gr SWC, and 240gr XTP? Don't worry I will look any recommendations up before I
actually do any loading to be doubly sure they are safe. I'm not looking for any barn
burners (Eddie Coyle Loads [smile]). In fact, a relatively 'soft' load would be more my style.
I will be using WLP as well.

Thanks,

TBP

TBP, I use 6.5 grains of Win231 with 240 gr SWC. Nice soft target load.

Thunderbolt

Thanks TBolt,

My Speer #10 has that load and seeing as the manual is about twenty years old I wasn't
sure if that was a mistake. I did find a load of 5.5-11.0 of Win231 on the Hogdon web site.
I am definitely going to give it a try.

Thanks TBolt,

My Speer #10 has that load and seeing as the manual is about twenty years old I wasn't
sure if that was a mistake. I did find a load of 5.5-11.0 of Win231 on the Hogdon web site.
I am definitely going to give it a try.

My older Hornady manual has it also (3rd edition). I haven't tried the load yet in my 7.5" barrel .44 but my 3" 629 loves them (not to mention my hands do too..LOL)

Thunderbolt

The beauty behind a 240 gr bullet is that it does not need to be a barn burner to get the job done.Bad guy bullets at that weight work great at 800 fps and most 4 legged creatures fall at any speed over 1000 fps.

The beauty behind a 240 gr bullet is that it does not need to be a barn burner to get the job done.Bad guy bullets at that weight work great at 800 fps and most 4 legged creatures fall at any speed over 1000 fps.

That's why the 696 is an awesome carry gun.

That's why the 696 is an awesome carry gun.

1st Question:
Wouldn't a short barrel .44mag (Mntn Gun) be a better choice since you have the choice of
either the special cartridge or the magnum cartridge?

2nd Question:
Since the .45ACP has almost as large a bullet (230gr vs 240gr) and is easily pushed to 800FPS
isn't this as good a choice as the .44spl? (If you wanted lots more than the 800fps then see
question #1.)

BTW, I like the 696 but these questions were always a problem with me when I would get
thinking about obtaining one.

Answers to Questions 1&2:

The 696 is a 5-shot L frame and is much easier to carry than an N-frame with a 6-shot cylinder. I have both and there's a huge difference.

I also think the .44 Special has less recoil than the .45 ACP.

Well took my .44 Mag loads to the range today and was pretty happy with them

Thunderbolt's 6.5gr of Win231 for a 240 LSWC was a jewel and a lot of fun.
EC, your load for the WC820 worked great with 19gr of AA#9 in a 240gr XTP.

Thanks very much to the both of you.

Footnote: It was a great day at the range today. Hot yes, but not a lot of people around.
The only ammo I shot that was purchased was some .38 special and .38 +P. I shot my loads
for the .32 H&R, .357 (148 DEWC, 125 JHP, 158 LSWC, and 158 XTP), and the .44 Mag. Only
down side is I have a lot of cleaning to do. [smile]

Last edited:
back when my buddy and i had single action 44 mags a virginia dragoon and a kettleman we both reloaded for them and used 2400........24 grains with a 240 grain bullet and it was very accurate but heavy recoil.

Back
Top Bottom