.44 mag bullet diameter

All of the information I have shows the .44 mag BD at .429, I have the opportunity to buy several hundred 260 gn bullets at a dia of .430. I believe that using a .430 jacketed projectile in a .44 mag could produce high pressures. Should I even go there?

Thanks,

Joe

All of the information I have shows the .44 mag BD at .429, I have the opportunity to buy several hundred 260 gn bullets at a dia of .430. I believe that using a .430 jacketed projectile in a .44 mag could produce high pressures. Should I even go there?

Thanks,

Joe

Are you sure they are jacketed? I shoot .430 dia lead bullets all the time in my 44's.
I also shoot 240gr Hornady HP/XTP which are .430 dia. I load them with 19.0gr of AA#9.

Last edited:
A thousandth of an inch is not a big deal, even for a jacketed bullet.
If you are shooting them through a Ruger, the barrel is probably .430 anyhow.
It is a good example, however, of why we start low and work up a load when changing components.

Jack

Although I have not seen them yet, I was told that they are jacketed and .430 dia.

Do you know the manufacturer? If so give them a call and ask if they have a particular
loading criteria for them. I wouldn't hesitate to use a .430 dia bullet in a .44mag. The
loading manuals I have do call out loads for the Hornady bullets and I can only assume
that they are aware of the diameter of the bullet. I believe Hornady doesn't make a
.429 HP/XTP for .44 caliber use.

Last edited:
The right way to do it is to measure your cylinder throats:
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/faq/index.htm (about halfway down the page)... "How do I measure cylinder throat dimensions for my revolver?"

The end result is that the bullets should be a snug fit.

I shoot .430's in my Ruger Super Redhawk.

Thanks for the tip navy redneck, I have both WD-40 and sinkers here so I will be able to do that today. BTW, I will be shooting these from a S&W model 629 with a 6" barrel.

Back
Top Bottom