44 for Boar.

If anyone is in NH and wants to do a pig hunt, I'd pick up a non-res to tag along. :)
Gosh, I thought they were really on certain game preserves in NH, if they're tracks are everywhere in southern NH, i'd like to buy a non-res tag as well, that way I could use a rifle on deer come fall. Hog hunting would be mad fun.

Gosh, I thought they were really on certain game preserves in NH, if they're tracks are everywhere in southern NH, i'd like to buy a non-res tag as well, that way I could use a rifle on deer come fall. Hog hunting would be mad fun.

Having been hunting in Southern NH for the past 25+ years I have yet to see any out there. I have seen sign that could be confused as boar sign. I have also hunted in the surrounding area of a certain game park

Having been hunting in Southern NH for the past 25+ years I have yet to see any out there. I have seen sign that could be confused as boar sign. I have also hunted in the surrounding area of a certain game park

Ah, that's a lot of time to not see one if they are around.

Hi Fishengame,
I know you most likely got all your answers months ago, but I would like to comment. I am a fan of the 44 mag, I own a Super Blackhawk. I did so much research on this weapon for bear. With the ammo out there, it is amazing what the 44 mag has done to big game. I wouldn't want to hunt a grizzly, but the 44 mag has killed them, I'm sure as the last resourt to the shooter. There are alot of articles on the web if you want to reaserch. In short, the 44 mag will take care of a big boar. I saw a TV show where a shooter killed a boar with a Gamo Whisperer with high tech aluminum pellets. I know, shot placement was critical in this case, as it was for those folks who were forced to kill a grizzly with a 44 mag. If you trust the shooter, then you can trust the gun. Good luck and be safe.
Snowshoe

Evening folks. In a nutshell, theres some wild boar roaming the area i hunt turkeys (lets say north of the Mass border). I saw fresh trails 3 wks ago when took my eldest son and some his buddies ice fishin. Im a lifelong wingshooter with no big-game experience. On my last 3 hunts ive had signs of pigs feeding within 10' of my groundblinds. My buddy has offered up his 6" open-sght SW model 29 to carry in, just in case. I believe theyre feeding at night. I would like to be ready if the opportunity presents itself some early AM. Ive put over a thousand rounds through my 45 acp, so im famililar with handgun disciplines. Shot 44 target loads. Id obviously spend some time at the range shootin the same rounds i would hunt with...which brings me to suggestions from you'all. I like the idea of a 44 handgun as opposed to carrying two longarms. I would appreciate any and all advice from those who have hunted with a 44 handgun.
Thanks, Fishengame.

You can kill pig with a .22 on up. Do a search on shot placement. I believe between the ear and the shoulder and you
are good to go. I recently read a posting somewhere (maybe over on castboolits) of a kill with a pellet gun.

You can kill pig with a .22 on up. Do a search on shot placement. I believe between the ear and the shoulder and you
are good to go. I recently read a posting somewhere (maybe over on castboolits) of a kill with a pellet gun.

I saw a pig get killed by a .22 CB. That doesn't mean I'll ever try it.

Hi Fishengame,
I know you most likely got all your answers months ago, but I would like to comment. I am a fan of the 44 mag, I own a Super Blackhawk. I did so much research on this weapon for bear. With the ammo out there, it is amazing what the 44 mag has done to big game. I wouldn't want to hunt a grizzly, but the 44 mag has killed them, I'm sure as the last resourt to the shooter. There are alot of articles on the web if you want to reaserch. In short, the 44 mag will take care of a big boar. I saw a TV show where a shooter killed a boar with a Gamo Whisperer with high tech aluminum pellets. I know, shot placement was critical in this case, as it was for those folks who were forced to kill a grizzly with a 44 mag. If you trust the shooter, then you can trust the gun. Good luck and be safe.
Snowshoe

If I remember correctly, a couple months back field and stream had a story about a guy up in kodiak (I think) who was charged by a big grizz while walking to get his mail. Took it down while stumbling backward with a 44mag. Talk about luck eh?

The bear man who was always on TV, Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, they were killed and partially eaten by a grizzley. The bear was later killed that day by an officer with his issued 40 caliber. In either case, that guy getting his mail was so lucky he had a gun on him, given that he was just getting his mail. Thanks for the story.
If I remember correctly, a couple months back field and stream had a story about a guy up in kodiak (I think) who was charged by a big grizz while walking to get his mail. Took it down while stumbling backward with a 44mag. Talk about luck eh?
Here is the website with the story: http://sleepless.blogs.com/george/2003/10/bear_killed_wit.html

Last edited:
The bear man who was always on TV, Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, they were killed and partially eaten by a grizzley. The bear was later killed that day by an officer with his issued 40 caliber. In either case, that guy getting his mail was so lucky he had a gun on him, given that he was just getting his mail. Thanks for the story. Here is the website with the story: http://sleepless.blogs.com/george/2003/10/bear_killed_wit.html
Treadwell was a wackadoo, but that's not a way to go. I really feel for his girlfriend, he was crazy, but she died because she trusted.

I tried finding the story I mentioned, and found 3 or 4 articles about fatal maulings in either AK or Yellowstone. If I can find the F&S article, I'll post it. I forget what month it was from. It's scary though. I believe the guy in AK that I mentioned used .45acp

I went on a canned hunt in VT for boar several years back with a couple hunting buddy's. A father and son team. Roy, the son, is one heck of a pistol shot and used a Scoped S&W .44 Magnum. His dad backed him up with a .308. Roy was using 300 grain solids in the pistol.

That boar absorbed 6 rounds in a 4" circle in the heart lung area before it fell over.

His father and I both took ours with one shot. I was using a .30-06. 165 grain Winchester Silver tip.

Yes, it can be done. Are you that good with that pistol?

Did you go to Wild Hill ?

I went there,used a 06 as well,if I went again I would tray a pistol (44-40 or 44 mag)

I've killed several boars with a bow....they are tough critters, usually takes more than one arrow to get it on the ground......however, they don't generally run far after shot...they usually walk...and fall down within sight. A gun may scare them more to run harder.....and be harder to find after the shot.

With a handgun/rifle....I'd shoot it in the head. Guns for the most part leave less of a bloodtrail than a sharp broadhead, so shooting it thru the vitals will leave you with a marginal trail to follow.....if you study the pigs anatomy, it's not like a deers, vitals are lower and more forward.....if you hit it in the right spot, though it won't go far. I've seen them fall over in seconds when hit perfectly with a broadhead...... But if it runs out of sight, or your hit is marginal... you'll need to trail it...so I'd take the head shot with a gun and take the tracking out of the equation. A .44 is plenty of gun if you hit it in the head.

Last edited:
Back again. Our computer is on the lamb...had to poach one of the kids laptops! I was referring to the turkey pop. increasing, not the pig pop.
Damn economy and newly discovered rotater-cuff rehab may keep me fat and lazy in Mass. The Stripers should be here in a week, cant fish (effectively anyway).
The 1st two weeks in May are among my favorite days of nthe year. Last 2 wks of Oct i live for...big bass on the beach and woodies on the wing!

Did you go to Wild Hill ?

I went there,used a 06 as well,if I went again I would tray a pistol (44-40 or 44 mag)

Yup, it was Wild Hill in Fairlee. By all means try a pistol but you should have someone backing you up with a rifle.

I'd never do it again. The pig ate good but I didn't think much of it as a hunt.

Yup, it was Wild Hill in Fairlee. By all means try a pistol but you should have someone backing you up with a rifle.

I'd never do it again. The pig ate good but I didn't think much of it as a hunt.

There certainly are a lot of them in there and no doubt you will get one.I asked Bill a couple times how many he had but I really don't think he knows.The one I shot didn't charge but he kept standing after taking 180grains to the shoulder,which surprised me.

I would go back but with some one who has never been and wanted to try it.
Saw some fallow deer but non of the buffalo. There is a place in Maine and one in Canada but I think Wild Hill is the biggest property wise.

This thread was perfect with perfect timing as I and some buddies are planning a trip to hunt wild boar. I will use either a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5" barrel (.44mag) or a S&W 629 Classic 8-3/8.

I want a back up gun just in case, what would you recomend a Sig P229 (.40 cal) or a 1911 (.45)?

Thanks

This thread was perfect with perfect timing as I and some buddies are planning a trip to hunt wild boar. I will use either a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5" barrel (.44mag) or a S&W 629 Classic 8-3/8.

I want a back up gun just in case, what would you recomend a Sig P229 (.40 cal) or a 1911 (.45)?

Thanks

The 45 was a great pig stopper when we fought in South America so long ago. I imagine it is just as good now. But me, I would hunt those bacon boys with a Ruger or S&W 44 Mag.

The 45 was a great pig stopper when we fought in South America so long ago. I imagine it is just as good now. But me, I would hunt those bacon boys with a Ruger or S&W 44 Mag.

Snowshoe, you must be one interesting guy

Thanks

Do you already have the SBH and the 629?

If so, why not just bring both?

Atmay, I do have both guns, I was thinking in terms of close quater shooting if needed. I may be way off the mark, I'm sure the either .44 will do the trick very nicley.

The question is, do you want to have the "minimum" required to kill a boar with you when you meet one. I mean, you could probably kill a boar with a pencil, or nail clippers. In a perfect world, and if you got lucky. But it could happen. I personally wouldn't do my hunt planning on "well I *could* get one with a .22 cause this guy once did it".

So when someone tells you what works, listen to those that have actually done it in real life, not someone that heard that someone else killed one with a spear and it was great fun and no one got hurt. I'm sure you can safely kill one with a spear, but I also know that a lot of boar hunting places will laugh in your face if you suggest that and tell you to go someplace else because they don't have the insurance for that kind of stupidity. I speak from experience, having gone boar hunting in PA.

I used a .50 muzzleloader, and got a great neck/shoulder hit on a 280 pounder. The boar did not die, and even though I broke the opposing shoulder/leg with the bullet, it did wild circles like crazy for quite a while. I think standing near it with a spear probably would have meant your calves would not have existed anymore. It took 4 shots of 10mm (custom hardcast flatnose, 200gr, practically SPOONS) in the neck to put it down for good. I'm sure I could have used a .22 handgun from 300 yards to hit it behind the ear though, but somehow that kind of shot never presented itself when it was running through the woods and I was chasing it.

Use the maximum equipment to get the job done, and to do it effectively. Also, the skulls of a wild boar with big tusks look impressive, so consider what you'll need if you decide NOT to go for the head shot. And where you'll shoot so that you both preserve the skull, and also preserve as much of the meat as possible (ie, neck area).

Back
Top Bottom