40 s&w with clays?

Might be appropriate, since I will be filling the 9mm cases (to make the jackets) with WW (wheel weight) lead.......
Strange how the world works.

I have found that the .40 becomes much like the 38 Super when loading heavy or jacketed bullets to IPSC Major velocities. Slower powders like WW571 (an excellent Super powder no longer available) cured the pressure problems, no more flattened primers.

"Poly," in this case, is short for "polymer." A proprietary blend of polymers, molybdenum and other MS which encapsulates the bullet. Very clean and FAR cheaper than jacketed, or even plated, bullets.

I would NOT use them in a barrel with ports or compensators, however.

I have used Poly with a ported barrel with a small integrated comp. Its a little smokier and the barrel and comp get dirtier, but it hasn't be an issue. I know the manufacturer recommends against it, but asfter speaking to the gun builder who is also sponsored by the bullet manufacturer, I decided to give it a try

Last edited:
Sandy was quite specific about using jacketed bullets in the SVI; preferably HP's, so the base would be jacketed. Jacketed it is for me.

So I finally got around to calling Hodgon. They said basically due to the pressures of .40 S&W they decided against using Clays due to burn rate for hard cast. Too bad because it is a great powder.

Slower powders like WW571 (an excellent Super powder no longer available)

I thought same about WW540 and mourned it's loss until I found out it was like one of those empty casket funerals where the subject of honor is really alive.

The following WW powders have Hodgdon eqivalents. I'm not talking about "similar powders" - theses are the same powders, made by the same factory (I believe it is St. Marks powder), formerly sold under two different names and brands, but now sold only by one vendor

H110 is the same as WW296
HS6 is the same as WW540
HS7 is the same as WW571

rob

Sandy was quite specific about using jacketed bullets in the SVI; preferably HP's, so the base would be jacketed. Jacketed it is for me.
JHPs are beneficial in open guns because you don't get lead buildup in the comps, but is not that much of an issue on uncompensated guns. Regular jacketed is fine in the SVI 40s and 45s.

Last edited:
JHPs are beneficial in open guns because you don't get lead buildup in the comps, but is not that much of an issue on uncompensated guns. Regular jacketed is fine in the SVI 40s and 45s.

My remarks were intended as being specific to Open guns, as the discussion at that time was about comps and ports.

So I finally got around to calling Hodgon. They said basically due to the pressures of .40 S&W they decided against using Clays due to burn rate for hard cast. Too bad because it is a great powder.

WTF is up with that avatar? Did you get lost on the way to stormfront or is it some sort of inside joke?

I have been searching around for a recipe or 2 for Clays with 40 s&w. Any one have one they use? I am using 175,185,200gr LSWC. I am using federal and win primers. I use Clays with my .45 and love it! The gun is actually my wifes p226 sig. Hey what can I say, I chose wisely when I got married. :)

For some reason (probably Glock's) Hodgdon will not recommend any data for lead bullets in 40 S&W. I remember calling them several years ago. Instead I opted to use either WST or American Select. The WST data can be found in the W-W 14th Ed reloading manual and the American Select data can be found in the Alliant 2005 reloading guide.

Back
Top Bottom