• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

40 s&w with clays?

I have been searching around for a recipe or 2 for Clays with 40 s&w. Any one have one they use? I am using 175,185,200gr LSWC. I am using federal and win primers. I use Clays with my .45 and love it! The gun is actually my wifes p226 sig. Hey what can I say, I chose wisely when I got married. :)

People are going to drop in soon and tell you not to get load data off the internet. Do you have the lee book? I have both the lee and lyman and they list all of those. I do not have them handy so I can not say about clays.

I did go there but there is no LSWC data. Only one for clays was a 180gr. I have 200 and 185gr like I said. I do know about not trusting the internet. Sorry for not stating that I had gone there first. I figured with all the experience out here in NES land that someone might have some real world experience. I will check the lee book. I have the Lyman and spear book. I will have to recheck but I remember not seeing clays as a 40 s&w powder. I could be wrong. Have been in the past and will be in the future. LOL.

No Clays reload data in that list...

Looks like you're going to have to call Hodgdon, and specifically ask them for reload data for the bullets that you want to load with Clays. Don't be upset if they say NO, don't do it. If they say NO, it means NO. If it' a yes, then they will tell you how much, OAL, etc.
Let us know how that goes.

You're living dangerously. Clays can produce some nice soft feeling 40 S&W loads, but is *VERY* susceptible to overcharges. You'll be much safer sticking to Hodgdon Titegroup and VV N320.

Unless you have some strong reason why you really feel you need to use Clays in your 40, I'd suggest sticking to one of the more traditional 40 powders.

I looked in my Speer,Hodgdon,Sierra and Lee manuals and found nothing to help you but the Hornady manual lists loads for 185 grain lead with Clays.

You're living dangerously. Clays can produce some nice soft feeling 40 S&W loads, but is *VERY* susceptible to overcharges. You'll be much safer sticking to Hodgdon Titegroup and VV N320.

Unless you have some strong reason why you really feel you need to use Clays in your 40, I'd suggest sticking to one of the more traditional 40 powders.

Clays is not very versatile and is good only for low pressure loads. I would not recommend it for the .40.

Let's wait and see what Hodgdon's has to say.

But, here's the thing about powder. People sometimes have a notion that any powder is good (in the right amount) for everything. That just isn't always true.

Clays, for example....... It was developed for shotshell loads, specifically for loading for "Sporting Clays", a specific shotgun game.
Here's the excerpt from Hodgdon's site:
---------
CLAYS™

Introduced in January, 1992, CLAYS gunpowder has "taken the clay target world by storm". It is the cleanest burning , most consistent 12 ga. 7/8., 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. powder available today, the preferred choice of competitive target shooters.. The superb burning characteristics of this powder produce soft, smooth recoil and excellent patterns. These features transfer directly to handgun applications where target shooting is the main goal. 45 ACP and 38 Special are only two of the cartridges where CLAYS gunpowder provides "tack driving" target accuracy with flawless functioning. Available in 14 oz., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.
---------------

Yes, you can use it in some handgun loads (never a rifle load!), but carefully. Typically, the difference between a starting load and a max load is small. It's easy to get in trouble

Clays in a 45 ACP with a 230 grain FMJ FP bullet has a starting load of 3.7 grains, and a max of 4.0.

You have to do your powder measure setup carefully to assure that you never get over 4.0.

I like using powders that give you a broader range for a given bullet. Titegroup for that same 45ACP bullet is 4.4 to 4.8, just a little better than the Clays. 231 powder, however, has a wonderful range, 4.2 to 5.3 grains. It allows you to work up a load that will do what you want, without having to worry that your over pressuring the round.

So, I hope that Hodgdon can give the OP a set of reload data for what he is trying to do with the Clays. But powder is not always one size fits all.

This is a great thread because I was going to start loading .40 with the clays I use for my .45 too. I also have the 200gn heads. I do have other powders so if this thread search doesn't pan out I won't chance messing with that powder for them. Great question cygnus!!

They're NOT "HEADS".... they're called BULLETS.....
hpm_0000_0002_0_img0012.jpg

This is a great thread because I was going to start loading .40 with the clays I use for my .45 too. I also have the 200gn heads. I do have other powders so if this thread search doesn't pan out I won't chance messing with that powder for them. Great question cygnus!!

Last edited:
yes yes yes...we used to call them bullet heads and it kind of stuck. i think we all use a bit too much slang in our lives but what can you do?!?!

I've tried some Clays (plain old Clays) in .40. Going by the chrono results and the reports from trusted sources (along pics of blown up guns), I wouldn't mess around with it. Even loaded long, it went from mild to wild on the chrono very quickly, but I have to say it shot great. My go-to powder for .40 is Titegroup. I would only deviate from it for poly coated (black) bullets, which smoke with TG.

The OP was also trying to use Clays.

With the bullets that the OP wants to use with Clays, I am expecting that Hodgdon says NO. But I'll wait for the jury to deliberate.

I've tried some Clays (plain old Clays) in .40. Going by the chrono results and the reports from trusted sources (along pics of blown up guns), I wouldn't mess around with it. Even loaded long, it went from mild to wild on the chrono very quickly, but I have to say it shot great. My go-to powder for .40 is Titegroup. I would only deviate from it for poly coated (black) bullets, which smoke with TG.

Indeed; my poly-coated bullet manufacturer expressly states NOT to use TG. I find that WST works very well; minimal mess or smoke. 231 works also, but I find WST is cleaner, cheaper and meters better.

Indeed; my poly-coated bullet manufacturer expressly states NOT to use TG. I find that WST works very well; minimal mess or smoke. 231 works also, but I find WST is cleaner, cheaper and meters better.

+1 for WST with coated bullets. Smoke is under control and it shoots SOFT. Thanks for the recommendation Scriv. I've heard even better things about Solo 1000 with coated lead and recently picked up some to try.

+1 for WST with coated bullets. Smoke is under control and it shoots SOFT. Thanks for the recommendation Scriv. I've heard even better things about Solo 1000 with coated lead and recently picked up some to try.

I've heard great things about Solo 1000 but found it hard to find at the time I looked. I'll grab some WST. In a pinch for a match, I shot some of the black bullets with TG in .40, and on field courses it wasn't noticable but things were foggy on the stand-and-shoot classifier.

I've heard great things about Solo 1000 but found it hard to find at the time I looked. I'll grab some WST. In a pinch for a match, I shot some of the black bullets with TG in .40, and on field courses it wasn't noticable but things were foggy on the stand-and-shoot classifier.

Heck, I came home w/50 rounds. You could have tried my loads.

You want to share what this "poly" is?

"Poly," in this case, is short for "polymer." A proprietary blend of polymers, molybdenum and other MS which encapsulates the bullet. Very clean and FAR cheaper than jacketed, or even plated, bullets.

I use them in my .40 and .45 SVI's.

I would NOT use them in a barrel with ports or compensators, however.

This HAS been discussed here before; you may find other posts on the subject.

Your post wasn't clear on which 200gr bullet you were using, .45 or .40. 200 gr bullets in the .40 must be loaded with care as the larger bullet occupies a lot of the case and leaves little for the powder. Loading to the IPSC Major power factor using WW 231 and 200 gr bullets I encountered signs of high pressure (flattened primers) I would NEVER try to make IPSC Major (825 fps min) with Clays in .40.

Your point is very well taken! And, it is the heart of my concern with the swaged bullets that I will be making from the 9mm cases for my .40 S&W. Those bullets will end up at about 189 grains, and I will have to be very careful about powder selection so that I get the broadest range from starting load to max load, so that I can work up to something that works, and is still safe. You can bet your first born that I will be calling Hodgdon (love their powders!) for advice once I get the weight worked out, and the bullet length fixed.

Your post wasn't clear on which 200gr bullet you were using, .45 or .40. 200 gr bullets in the .40 must be loaded with care as the larger bullet occupies a lot of the case and leaves little for the powder. Loading to the IPSC Major power factor using WW 231 and 200 gr bullets I encountered signs of high pressure (flattened primers) I would NEVER try to make IPSC Major (825 fps min) with Clays in .40.

Your point is very well taken! And, it is the heart of my concern with the swaged bullets that I will be making from the 9mm cases for my .40 S&W. Those bullets will end up at about 189 grains, and I will have to be very careful about powder selection so that I get the broadest range from starting load to max load, so that I can work up to something that works, and is still safe. You can bet your first born that I will be calling Hodgdon (love their powders!) for advice once I get the weight worked out, and the bullet length fixed.

I have found that the .40 becomes much like the 38 Super when loading heavy or jacketed bullets to IPSC Major velocities. Slower powders like WW571 (an excellent Super powder no longer available) cured the pressure problems, no more flattened primers.

Back
Top Bottom