.40 personal protection ammo

What are some of the types of ammo that you guys and girls use for personal protection. What grain bullet do you use too?

TAP 155gr HP

All the research I've done says that 155 gr is the optimal weight for .40...ballistics seem to consistently out do all others

Speer GDHP 165 or 180 gr.
Win Ranger 165 or 180 gr. (RA part numbers only, not the infamous Q garbage)
Federal HST Tactical 165 gr.
Rem Golden Saber 165 gr.

Any of these test well overall.

The Speer GDHPs will be the easiest to find. Best way is to get them in 50 round boxes but those seem to be hard to come by lately.

-Mike

just picked up some Federal Hydra-Shok 135gr low recoil ammo at blue nothern. im excited to try it, reviews say its very low recoil and very accurate

Winchester Ranger 'T'.
Federal HST.
Speer Gold Dot.

These consistently preform better in tests than most all others.

I hear those new 'no lead' all metal bullets do well also.

I can't answer for .40SW but for 9mm and .45ACP, I use Fed HST and I also have some Hydrashock.

Golden Sabers in 40sw and 45acp, Hirtenberger +P+ ball or Federal HP in 9mm.

Corbon .38spl+P

Reloads with 240gr JHP in 44mag for carry while hunting.

I don't carry a .40 or a 9mm, but was curious as to whether or not folks have tried the Winchester Supreme Elite PDX. We carry 165gr and 180gr offerings in .40 S&W and 124gr in 9mm.

I can't really offer customers good advice on it, as I don't use PD 9mm or .40. Any thoughts?

Federal 135 grain Hydra-Shok. (PD40HS4H)

Why the "light" 135 grain? Basically I'm guessing that the higher velocity and lower weight would mean less chance of over penetration. I've never had the chance to test that theory.

I put a box of it downrange just to test feeding, etc. and it is VERY accurate stuff.

Federal 135 grain Hydra-Shok. (PD40HS4H)

Why the "light" 135 grain? Basically I'm guessing that the higher velocity and lower weight would mean less chance of over penetration. I've never had the chance to test that theory.

I put a box of it downrange just to test feeding, etc. and it is VERY accurate stuff.

supposedly it has good penetration and expansion....and the stuff moves fast...but has very light recoil. i actually didnt realize the stuff i bought was the 135gr low recoil until the car ride home...but looked it up online and there was very positive articles on it

supposedly it has good penetration and expansion....and the stuff moves fast...but has very light recoil. i actually didnt realize the stuff i bought was the 135gr low recoil until the car ride home...but looked it up online and there was very positive articles on it

The problem with that federal stuff in the plastic boxes is....

It's not tested very well... and usually when it is, it does badly. (not enough penetration, bullets breaking apart, etc. ) I'm not sure about
the tests on the 135 gr .40, stuff... I'd be surprised if it did well in balgel
and denim tests.

I don't really know what was in Federal's head with that ammo product line. The worst one is the .357 magnum PD stuff. The bullet breaks apart in balgel tests, and it's anything but "low recoil" despite the claim on the packaging. Speer GDHP .357 short barrel tests way better, and it actually has low recoil.... go figure.

I don't buy it as a matter of course... to me, if the bullet doesn't work right, you're buying overpriced ball ammo. Maybe some of the PD stuff works
better than others, no doubt. Problem is most of the ballistics guys (like docgkr, etc) don't bother testing it because most LE/mil folks don't use the stuff.

-Mike

ya i hear ya. i was looking for Speer GD, but they were out. Federal seemed to be the better name of the protection ammo

i was actually thinking of testing it and seeing how it does with the phone book test for my own satisfaction.

Can someone PM me the best place to buy Federal HST? I'd like to get some of the 165 grain P40HST3 to compare with the 135 grain stuff that I already have. I don't think I've seen it at any of the shops I go to. (I think it's marketed more towards LE?)

I don't carry a .40 or a 9mm, but was curious as to whether or not folks have tried the Winchester Supreme Elite PDX. We carry 165gr and 180gr offerings in .40 S&W and 124gr in 9mm.

I can't really offer customers good advice on it, as I don't use PD 9mm or .40. Any thoughts?

i bought a couple boxes of it, haven't shot enough to come to any conclusions so far. been meaning to though. it is pretty though[laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom