.40 personal protection ammo

I use these because that is what the police dept where I live use. I also carry the same brand unmodified pistol they use. I figured if I ever have to use it, I will at least be able to defend my equipment choice.
Your equipment choice will never be an issue if the shoot is good.

I don't carry a .40 or a 9mm, but was curious as to whether or not folks have tried the Winchester Supreme Elite PDX. We carry 165gr and 180gr offerings in .40 S&W and 124gr in 9mm.

I can't really offer customers good advice on it, as I don't use PD 9mm or .40. Any thoughts?
My understanding of the new Supreme Elite PDX line is that it is the same ammo (except for the packaging) now chosen by the FBI. I carry Rangers because I found a good deal on some 50 round boxes. But would feel equally well equipped with PDX, Gold Dot (which I do carry in some pistols), HST, Golden Saber, or (if they ever get to loading 147 grain bullets in their 9mm loads) Hornady Critical Defense.

I use these because that is what the police dept where I live use. I also carry the same brand unmodified pistol they use. I figured if I ever have to use it, I will at least be able to defend my equipment choice.

So you never travel outside your home town? I prefer to choose something that is comfortable and I can shoot well. If I need to use it I'd rather be accurate and hit what I'm aiming for to stop the threat. In a SD situation the last thing I'm going to be worrying about is the legal ramifications, if I'm focused on what the law will say chances are that I'm not in that much fear. If I'm truly in fear of my life the only thing I'm thinking about is getting out of the situation alive. Provided I'm the one to comes out on top, I'll deal with the legal issues later.

The other problem with "Using what the PD uses" is sometimes the ammo selection is regulated by "whatever was cheapest" and not by ballistic performance. The Silvertip is one of the oldest JHPs on the market. Take from that what you
may. (Curiously, it still seems to do well in some tests with some calibers. )

-Mike

In a caliber like .40 I like the heaviest hollowpoints that I can get, but honestly I'll carry anything made by a reputable manufacturer that feeds reliably in my gun, including FMJ.

So you never travel outside your home town? I prefer to choose something that is comfortable and I can shoot well. If I need to use it I'd rather be accurate and hit what I'm aiming for to stop the threat. In a SD situation the last thing I'm going to be worrying about is the legal ramifications, if I'm focused on what the law will say chances are that I'm not in that much fear. If I'm truly in fear of my life the only thing I'm thinking about is getting out of the situation alive. Provided I'm the one to comes out on top, I'll deal with the legal issues later.

I'm assuming that s/he's looking to prevent a Harold Fish type situation, where the prosecutor harped on the fact that he carried 10mm hollowpoints, which was "too powerful" for the local PD or FBI to carry. I don't subscribe to it, but I can't say I blame him/her for it.

Your equipment choice will never be an issue if the shoot is good.

It might in Mass., where chiefs make their own rules WRT suitability.

Back
Top Bottom