.380 worth fixing?

I inherited a Tanfogio Giuseppe .380 single action. It looks like a replica/generic copy of a PPK. It hasn't been fired in probably 20 years. It's a little rusty, & is missing an extractor pin. Is this worth the cost/effort to fix?

I inherited a Tanfogio Giuseppe .380 single action. It looks like a replica/generic copy of a PPK. It hasn't been fired in probably 20 years. It's a little rusty, & is missing an extractor pin. Is this worth the cost/effort to fix?

I would say yes. Check out how much it would cost to fix it. Can you see what condition the barrell is in? Also, what's the finish on the gun? If it's stainless, then a little oil and very fine steel wool will remove the rust (depending on how bad it is).

I would say yes. Check out how much it would cost to fix it. Can you see what condition the barrell is in? Also, what's the finish on the gun? If it's stainless, then a little oil and very fine steel wool will remove the rust (depending on how bad it is).

One shop said it's probably not worth fixing, about $100 to $150....I don't know enough about gunsmithing to disagree, so I took it back home. It's black, not too rusty. The barrell looks good. I know it's not worth any money, but it's been in the family for years, & since we have it, it may as well be functional.

One shop said it's probably not worth fixing, about $100 to $150....I don't know enough about gunsmithing to disagree, so I took it back home. It's black, not too rusty. The barrell looks good. I know it's not worth any money, but it's been in the family for years, & since we have it, it may as well be functional.

K-DUB said:

I look at it this way. If it's sound, and you want to be able to shoot it...screw what people say. Have it fixed.

Maybe talk to someone on there that's a gunsmith. I know that there's a thread on here that has a list.

Give them a call, tell them that you're a member here and they might even cut you a beeak. You never know. It's always worth calling.

But if it's worth it to you to have it fixed so you can shoot it, then it's worth it to have it fixed.

But that's just my take.

K-DUB said:

I look at it this way. If it's sound, and you want to be able to shoot it...screw what people say. Have it fixed.

Maybe talk to someone on there that's a gunsmith. I know that there's a thread on here that has a list.

Give them a call, tell them that you're a member here and they might even cut you a beeak. You never know. It's always worth calling.

But if it's worth it to you to have it fixed so you can shoot it, then it's worth it to have it fixed.

But that's just my take.

K-DUB said:

But that's just my take.

If it's been in the family for years, then fix it hun. That doesn't mean you have to shoot it all the time, but at least you can get some enjoyment out of it. And the shop you took it to might not have wanted to deal with it, which is why you got the "probably not worth it" reply.

If it's been in the family for years, then fix it hun. That doesn't mean you have to shoot it all the time, but at least you can get some enjoyment out of it. And the shop you took it to might not have wanted to deal with it, which is why you got the "probably not worth it" reply.

From 2001 edition of the Blue Book:

"Tanfoglio, Fratelli, S.r.l.
Current pistol manufacturer located in Gardone, Italy.
Tanfoglio manufactures a wide variety of high quality semi-auto pistols. In addition to currently being imported by European American Armory Corp. and K.B.I. (see individual listings), Tanfoglio also manufactures their own complete line which, to date, has been mostly distributed in Europe."

Sorry but I don't know anything more about it and don't find your model listed in any of the referenced headings.

I suggest giving Paul Diaz a call. I can't find his Email address. He's in/out of the office, so leave a message and tell him you are a friend of mine and I referred you. Paul is an FFL and auctioneer, specializing in old and antique guns. He might know something about it and/or give you some advice about restoring it. (781) 447-9057, 30 East Washington St, Rte 58,
Hanson, MA 02341-1126.

If restoration is a reasonable idea, I'd ask Paul for suggestions if you want to maintain collectible value (assuming that it has some). If not really collectible, I'd talk with Carl's people at FS about whatever repair/restoration is needed to make it safe to shoot.

Len, the info you found is about as far as I got. I already stopped by FS, as they are my shop of choice. The only problem is a lack of parts/scematics, or any other info on this model. :( I'll be making some more calls this afternoon.

The e-parts website posted above, aka Numrich is a treasure-trove of damn near all guns ever made. They have schematics for almost everything. Also, likely that nothing will need to actually be replaced, just cleaned up and maybe refinished?

Other solution is to do a Google search on company and/or model and send an Email to current company in Italy. See what they can tell you.

I just did that on the Swiss gun I purchased, got a lot of good info directly from the president of the current company (prior company went under and was bought out some years ago).

Dave at Numrich is especially helpful. If you don't see your pistol listed on their main site, go to the handgun forum and ask there.

So I did a quick check on the Numrich misc handgun forum, and found:
Question Subject: Excam GT380 Parts
Submitted by: Name: jim kerns Date: 3/20/2005 4:35:00 PM

Question:
I am looking for a recoil spring and recoil spring guide for a .380 auto Armi Tanfoglio Giuseppe model GT 380, Gardone V.T. Italy, serial#t26846. It was imported by Excam-Hialeah Fla. My grandfathers gun,he lost these parts when disassembly for cleaning. The firearm in good condition otherwise. Any help greatly appreciated

Dave replied:
Jim,

Our site is normally updated weekly. We do not carry manuals for this model, I suggest posting in our Public Hand Guns Forum for a possible source for assy/disassy instructions. Please use the link below to check for availabilty on the parts that you require.
Excam Model TITAN II GT 380

I have also had very good luck going back to the manufacturer to get parts from spanish guns, though in my case they were Star pistols.

K-DUB said:
... & is missing an extractor pin...

Hmmm. Brownells sells roll pin replacement kits. Also, though theNumrich site says it is out of the extractor pin, I'd still check with them, as they sometimes don't update the list if they only have one or two. Another thought: they do have the ejector pin. You might want to get one of those, check fit the diameter & if good, cut to length.

Pilgrim said:
LenS,

We've got something in common. I've known Paul for about 40 years. We've both been involved in old cars and Model T Fords all that time.

I saw him last Wed.

Small world.

Yes, it is a small world. He's a member of Bay Colony Weapon Collectors with me (meet at BR&P, 4th Monday night) and I've known him for years thru GOAL and gun shows. He usually has some very interesting items (historically). Real nice guy too!

K-DUB said:

K-DUB: What have you found out on the pin?

Worth fixing???????

The first question is, "What is it worth to you". How much is it worth fixed and beautified? Do you know any good gunsmiths that will give you and honest appraisal to restore it, and the quality of their work is superior. Any firearm is worth fixing up, if it's worth it to you. I'll see if I can get a value in my Blue Book.
:)

Back
Top Bottom