37mm Launcher as DD

Has anyone either considered or actually registered a 37mm launcher as a DD? My curiosity has been peaked recently by doing some reading around various sites and it just seems like it could be fun. I found one company in particular that makes a really good quality launcher that you can get in several configurations including one that looks like the old M79 grande launchers. Once it's registered as a DD there are some fun rounds that you can (legally) shoot out of it like baton rounds and such.

Here is the company I've been eyeing http://batesanddittus.com/

I guess the only other issue is finding a place to fire it. I'm not sure my current range would allow it to be used there.

Seems to me if you are going to go through the hassle of doing a DD, you might as well go with a 40mm. You can always get a sleeve to take it down to 37mm.
You can buy an m79 receiver as a class 1, do up the form one and once approved add the barrell and assorted goodies on.
At least that's what I did..

Seems to me if you are going to go through the hassle of doing a DD, you might as well go with a 40mm. You can always get a sleeve to take it down to 37mm.
You can buy an m79 receiver as a class 1, do up the form one and once approved add the barrell and assorted goodies on.

What he said, I'll just add that the 37mm "signaling launchers" are not typically built nearly as "strong" as the real things they look like. If you do a 1/2 way decent internet search you will find more than enough pics/stories of blown up 37mm's to diswade you from wanting to shoot anything but flares throguh them...

PS. My M79 is one of the funnest "guns" I have to shoot...

The only other thing with going the real M79 route seems to be the cost difference. For example at this link http://www.mr40mm.com/index_files/Page571.htm the guy sells just the receiver for $1700. That's way more than the straight 37mm launcher.

Edit: Looking at the M203 receivers it seems to be a cost prohibitive route as well at least at this point for me.

The only other thing with going the real M79 route seems to be the cost difference. For example at this link http://www.mr40mm.com/index_files/Page571.htm the guy sells just the receiver for $1700. That's way more than the straight 37mm launcher.
Well there's a big differance between a Ferrari and a Fiero...[wink] If you want a grenade launcher buy a grenade launcher, if you want a flare gun buy a flare gun, OR if you want an expensive hand grenade buy a flare gun, register it and try to shoot "not a flare" out of it...

Edit: Looking at the M203 receivers it seems to be a cost prohibitive route as well at least at this point for me.

Look harder... http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-...id=22.19999*xI09c5&p_id=02118&xm=on&ppinc=big

From what I read about the 37mm kabooms it seems like it may have been derived from the fact someone was rolling their own rounds and loaded a little too much in a round. IIRC it was also a cheapo Cobray one or something. The Spikes and Bates launchers seem to be of a higher level of craftsmanship. I guess I will have to give it some thought and if I go the M79 or M203 route I better start saving my pennies. I know this guy "Grog" that reviews a lot of 40mm and 37mm launchers gave a lot of praise to the B+T launcher.

Edit: Here he is http://www.freewebs.com/grog/

Last edited:
From what I read about the 37mm kabooms it seems like it may have been derived from the fact someone was rolling their own rounds and loaded a little too much in a round. IIRC it was also a cheapo Cobray one or something. The Spikes and Bates launchers seem to be of a higher level of craftsmanship. I guess I will have to give it some thought and if I go the M79 or M203 route I better start saving my pennies. I know this guy "Grog" that reviews a lot of 40mm and 37mm launchers gave a lot of praise to the B+T launcher.

Edit: Here he is http://www.freewebs.com/grog/

That is the case most of the time. Poorly built, improper type, home made ammunition, or defective factory ammunition.

That is the case most of the time. Poorly built, improper type, home made ammunition, or defective factory ammunition.

I have never seen a 37mm Flare launcher that was particularly well made. While I have to believe that there are some out there somewhere. The reality is that these are smooth bore flare launchers. They are not intended to be versatile or see a lot of action and use. Hell, they are not even classified as firearms.

It's your money and you can do whatever you want with it. I would expect that while certainly many of these kabooms are due to yahoos "rolling their own". However, I would suspect that many more of these could be attributed to the fact that these are just not meant to see any sort of sustained use. I would expect that better than 98% of these see less than 10 rounds put down the pipe in their lifetime.

I have never seen a 37mm Flare launcher that was particularly well made. While I have to believe that there are some out there somewhere. The reality is that these are smooth bore flare launchers. They are not intended to be versatile or see a lot of action and use. Hell, they are not even classified as firearms.

It's your money and you can do whatever you want with it. I would expect that while certainly many of these kabooms are due to yahoos "rolling their own". However, I would suspect that many more of these could be attributed to the fact that these are just not meant to see any sort of sustained use. I would expect that better than 98% of these see less than 10 rounds put down the pipe in their lifetime.

No disagreement....I was just pointing out the fact that most if not all the 37mm kabooms are from the ammo what ever its origin.

No disagreement....I was just pointing out the fact that most if not all the 37mm kabooms are from the ammo what ever its origin.

As these are not firearms. I would have to wonder what the specs, tollerances and most importantly metal and chamber pressure testing procedures are. As they are not firearms is there some sort of SAAMI specs, proof load testing that is required? Are these tested for any sort of life span?

There are tons of plastic flare guns out there. I would really question what the min specs are of any of these..

Im ALMOST embarrased to ask.. but what is a DD... I mean, I know what my wifes definition is, but AS IT PERTAINS to the 37mm??? Is it distraction device?? and how does one register that !???

Im ALMOST embarrased to ask.. but what is a DD... I mean, I know what my wifes definition is, but AS IT PERTAINS to the 37mm??? Is it distraction device?? and how does one register that !???

Double Ds are absolutely different. And IMHO should be more tightly regulated. I'd be the first to sign up for an inspector position!.

DD is a destructive device. basically anything over 50cal. So, 20mm, 40mm. The 37mm is specifically exempt, not considered a firearm, as it is a "signalling device". The idea is that there are not supposed to be any "offensive" ammunition available in 37mm, only flares and "signaling" rounds..

There are also a number of shotguns that have been reclassified as DDs as they are larger than 20cal and are considered "not sporting"..

DD is a destructive device. basically anything over 50cal. So, 20mm, 40mm. The 37mm is specifically exempt, not considered a firearm, as it is a "signalling device". The idea is that there are not supposed to be any "offensive" ammunition available in 37mm, only flares and "signaling" rounds.

There are quite a few anti personnel rounds out there for the 37mm guns. Baton rounds, rubber ball rounds, etc.... It's just hard trying to find somewhere that will sell to non LEO. Plus the launcher needs to be registered as a DD if one owns or shoots this ammo. There are also some high quality launchers(both 37mm and 40mm) like those from ALS Technologies out there but good luck trying to get your hands on one as they will only ship to law enforcement.

Double Ds are absolutely different. And IMHO should be more tightly regulated. I'd be the first to sign up for an inspector position!.
DD is a destructive device. basically anything over 50cal. So, 20mm, 40mm. The 37mm is specifically exempt, not considered a firearm, as it is a "signalling device". The idea is that there are not supposed to be any "offensive" ammunition available in 37mm, only flares and "signaling" rounds..

There are also a number of shotguns that have been reclassified as DDs as they are larger than 20cal and are considered "not sporting"..

Dare I ask..........How much more regulation than current NFA on DDs would suit you?

The number of drive bys with DDs must be climbing huh?

NONE of these laws and regulations should exist.....What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" do YOU not understand?[angry]

Dare I ask..........How much more regulation than current NFA on DDs would suit you?

The number of drive bys with DDs must be climbing huh?

NONE of these laws and regulations should exist.....What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" do YOU not understand?[angry]

[laugh] I think you misunderstand seanc's joke (.)(.)

The number of drive bys with DDs must be climbing huh?[angry]

NOW THAT IS A VISUAL!!!! And yes, as spring and warmer weather approaches these are bound to increase..

And yes, I was making reference to Double Ds.. not destructive devices.. And on further consideration, I really do believe they really do share quite a few similarities..

Back
Top Bottom