• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Assault" Pistol to SBR

jron

NES Member
Probably not but I figured I'd give this a shot... This is for Mass obviously.
I am looking for an MP5, and would love an MP5K, but they are only offered in pistol configurations.

As we know "assault pistols" if you will are virtually illegal.

Would it be legal to have a pistol sent to an FFL, you pass the check and keep it with the FFL.

Then apply for a Form 1 with the ATF and once that is approved take possession of the pistol to covert into an SBR (Add a stock and remove the brace at FFL)

If not I could settle for a carbine MP5 and have it chopped down.

Can you work with an in-state Class 2 SOT and he can "manufacture" the SBR? That's how I got my first New Hampshire SBR.

You can have the FFL transfer just the receiver to you and keep the rest of the parts. You file the form 1, get the receiver engraved with your info, etc. Once the form 1 is approved, go get the rest of the stuff from your FFL, assemble SBR, done.

Probably not but I figured I'd give this a shot... This is for Mass obviously.
I am looking for an MP5, and would love an MP5K, but they are only offered in pistol configurations.

As we know "assault pistols" if you will are virtually illegal.

Would it be legal to have a pistol sent to an FFL, you pass the check and keep it with the FFL.

Then apply for a Form 1 with the ATF and once that is approved take possession of the pistol to covert into an SBR (Add a stock and remove the brace at FFL)

If not I could settle for a carbine MP5 and have it chopped down.

Custom build or off the shelf? I got a MP5 clone while in mass with a faux suppressor pinned and welded. Removing the faux suppressor was the easiest and cheapest route.

You can have the FFL transfer just the receiver to you and keep the rest of the parts. You file the form 1, get the receiver engraved with your info, etc. Once the form 1 is approved, go get the rest of the stuff from your FFL, assemble SBR, done.

The MP5 receiver cant come off the gun (without major work), its like a scar, the actual lower is a non serialized part

Custom build or off the shelf? I got a MP5 clone while in mass with a faux suppressor pinned and welded. Removing the faux suppressor was the easiest and cheapest route.

off the shelf was leaning PTR or Zenith. I could chop the barrel, however I really wanted a MP5K (shorter gun), and those are only offered as pistols.

off the shelf was leaning PTR or Zenith. I could chop the barrel, however I really wanted a MP5K (shorter gun), and those are only offered as pistols.
nice. I just formed 1 my Zenith/MKE Z5P and its a blast. Zenith does have a custom shop. They might be able to help

I could attempt to find one and find out.

SBRs can't be transferred by MA dealers because they are "firearms" and are not on the approved Firearms roster. Same reason they can't sell the shockwave "not a shotguns".

If the 07/02 form 2s it, you won't be able to have it transferred to you.

SBRs can't be transferred by MA dealers because they are "firearms" and are not on the approved Firearms roster. Same reason they can't sell the shockwave "not a shotguns".

If the 07/02 form 2s it, you won't be able to have it transferred to you.

I’m aware of that. I know it’s not approved to posses but when I take possession it will be in a legal rifle configuration.

I’ll probably just go the barrel chop route in the end. It’s the easiest way

Take off everything except the barreled upper. Can't discharge a shot, not a firearm by MA law.

True, but finding a dealer that’s cool with that is probably unlikely since all you need is a $40 lower lol

True, but finding a dealer that’s cool with that is probably unlikely since all you need is a $40 lower lol

Dealers sell AR uppers and lowers separately, no?

Just order a barreled upper from one of the HK parts suppliers and send to your FFL.

Alternatively you could find an SP89, slap a brace on it, and be perfectly legal. Depending on your budget.

Dealers sell AR uppers and lowers separately, no?

Just order a barreled upper from one of the HK parts suppliers and send to your FFL.

Alternatively you could find an SP89, slap a brace on it, and be perfectly legal. Depending on your budget.

That's what I wish I did instead of converting a real HK.

That way it was all original but when I did my SP89 conversion to MP5KN they didn't have arm braces at the time.

Plus I kinda changed it from original as soon as I bought it back in the 90s by sending it to HK and having them install a 3 lug MP5KN barrel on it.

I am glad HK did it so I know it was done right but the only thing I dont like is the 3 lug barrel is threaded 1/2 x 32 instead of the standard 1/2 x 28 thats because it's a origanal german barrel and not a after market one.

IMG_20180505_112339_kindlephoto-6182501.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom