.357 Magnum revolver barrel length?

No, the herbivorous black bears that are scared of humans are still around. Just about the last animal I'd be worrying about in the woods.

Black bears are herbivorous? Must be a new species or they were listed in the wrong taxonomic classification. They are omnivores.

Love my GP-100 4". I can hit the target at 50yards, and I'm not very good. I've shot A 6" and its a bit front heavy for my taste and I couldn't imagine any situation that it would be comfortable carrying for any reason.

Michael

Black bears are herbivorous? Must be a new species or they were listed in the wrong taxonomic classification. They are omnivores.
Do black bears hunt humans for food like brown bears do? No? Well that's the ****ing point here - no reason to fear bears in New England.

Do black bears hunt humans for food like brown bears do? No? Well that's the ****ing point here - no reason to fear bears in New England.

IMO, it's not about them hunting humans, but attacking humans if you stumble across them. If you only had to worry about something that would actively hunt you, in this region, you'd never need to carry any protection out in the woods.

IMO, it's not about them hunting humans, but attacking humans if you stumble across them. If you only had to worry about something that would actively hunt you, in this region, you'd never need to carry any protection out in the woods.

This. Your two biggest concerns with black bears are they decide to do a little grocery shopping at your campsite or you stumble into a mom and her cubs on a trail.

This. Your two biggest concerns with black bears are they decide to do a little grocery shopping at your campsite or you stumble into a mom and her cubs on a trail.

Pretty much my thoughts. I'd rather have the capability to defend against a rare situation than have them find my remains days/weeks later.

I split the difference and went with a 5 inch 686 pro plus. The fun I am having with this gun is off the charts. I am also amazed with the accuracy. This particular gun is set up to be used with moon clips as well. And if Outback Arms ever bothers to send me the missing parts for the moon clip loader I purchased from them, I will actually try my hand at speed loading.

I wanted another revolver (had a gp 100 22) and after some advise, it seems the 357 mag was the way to go. I too was leaning toward the four inch but then I saw this at the shop. I fondled the GP100 as well, but the trigger and hammer on this gun was considerably nicer. Significant enough for even this rookie to feel the difference. Don't get me wrong, the GP 100 is a great gun. My 22 version is a blast to shoot.

The nicest thing about this gun, or any other 357 mag, is its versatility. So much so, that I have spent the past month getting an education in reloading. I almost feel like I am doing the gun a dis-service by not learning to reload, and take advantage of the different weights and velocities that can be run through it. It almost seems as if I could have four guns in one.

Anyway, here she is..............

Oh, and don't just shoot it in S/A. The D/A on these things are really nice and I think it is teaching me better trigger control. I do ok with the 38 loads. I still have some learning to do with the hotter 357 rounds. Hard not to anticipate, even if it just a tiny bit :)

IMG_20170302_144543478_zpsuzmbwx8s.jpg

I've checked out the 686 Plus model too. Compared with the Ruger GP100 (at the same store), the Ruger had a nicer trigger. Plus the cost to purchase is easier on the budget. While I like the idea of having 7 shots instead of just 6, I don't think it's enough to warrant the extra money. Plus, I'd be able to use standard speed loaders with the Ruger, compared with the 686 Plus.

Not ruling out getting another revolver later, but this will be the first one I purchase. I'm also getting .357 Magnum since I do [eventually] plan to get a lever action in the same caliber. I wouldn't mind getting a nice SA only in .357 Magnum too (at some point). I'd really not like to get a revolver in a different caliber. It's bad enough I'll be adding .357 Magnum to my list.

Oh, and since I already reload, and have four turrets for my Lyman press, I'll be getting one for .357. So that's 5 reloading setups that I'll have. luckily, I've found that I can use powder I already have for some of the other calibers for .357 Magnum reloading.

If you like the GP100, try to find a "Match Champion" version if you can. The trigger is factory shimmed, it has better sights, and comes with nice wooden Hogue grips, so it's a really nice package right out of the box. I didn't mind the factory trigger, but once I played with a set of Wolff springs on the suggestion of another member here, the difference was day, and night! I thought about some stoning and polishing, but wanted to experiment without changing too many things at the same time, and honestly, it was so nice after changing JUST the springs, that I never felt the need to tear it apart again. It's flawless inmo now.

Unless you're shooting bowling pins or something, 4" is going to be better most of the time. Even then I killed plenty of pins back when I had my 686-5 4" no problem. 4" has way greater utility IMHO. You can actually carry the thing... anything from 5"+ is full retard. Not to mention if you ever had to sell it, a 4" will sell way faster than a longer barreled gun will.

-Mike

+++1 S&W 686 4 inch

Picked up the GP100 in 4" this afternoon... I compared it against the 686 Plus (the store didn't have the 66 or 69 models). I like the feel of the trigger in the Ruger better. Its' smoother in double action and crisper (at least between the two I had to compare).

bEQlGec.jpg

I plan to bring it to the range tomorrow afternoon (before dinner) to feed it some ammo. I picked up a box of 38 special as well as a box of 357 Mag to try out. Once I feed it some ammo, I'll decide if I need to do anything more to the trigger. It's highly likely I'll get the lighter springs for the action as mentioned earlier. Just need to make sure it's something I'm comfortable replacing. I have no issues working on my AR rifles and doing a fair bit to my 1911's. So as long as I can't **** it up, I'll probably do it.

BTW, the grip on the Ruger also feels better than the one on the S&W's I fondled... The GP100 was the last one they had in stock too. [smile]

This^

The real accuracy advantage of the longer barrel comes from the longer sight radius.
If you're only looking to shoot it at 50 yards max, you likely won't notice much difference between a 4" and 6" barrel.

Not sure if you're only looking to buy a new current production gun or something used, but if used is OK, don't overlook the Ruger Security Six .357 if you happen to find one.

Absolutely correct! I love my Security Six with 4" barrel and I've carried it on many occasions though admittedly not the preferred carry due to weight. Great shooter and very accurate.

Actually heading to pick up a GP100 Tuesday. All they have is the 6". This thread popped up at the perfect time. Still undecided if I want 4 or 6, but I am also picking this up in anticipation of buying a lever in the same caliber.

Actually heading to pick up a GP100 Tuesday. All they have is the 6". This thread popped up at the perfect time. Still undecided if I want 4 or 6, but I am also picking this up in anticipation of buying a lever in the same caliber.
I was out shooting my 6" GP today. You won't regret buying it (unless you want to carry it).

Picked up the GP100 in 4" this afternoon... I compared it against the 686 Plus (the store didn't have the 66 or 69 models). I like the feel of the trigger in the Ruger better. Its' smoother in double action and crisper (at least between the two I had to compare).

bEQlGec.jpg

I plan to bring it to the range tomorrow afternoon (before dinner) to feed it some ammo. I picked up a box of 38 special as well as a box of 357 Mag to try out. Once I feed it some ammo, I'll decide if I need to do anything more to the trigger. It's highly likely I'll get the lighter springs for the action as mentioned earlier. Just need to make sure it's something I'm comfortable replacing. I have no issues working on my AR rifles and doing a fair bit to my 1911's. So as long as I can't **** it up, I'll probably do it.

BTW, the grip on the Ruger also feels better than the one on the S&W's I fondled... The GP100 was the last one they had in stock too. [smile]

Nice. I'm sure you will love it. As for changing the springs, there are a few videos on youtube that detail the process very well. I had never taken a revolver apart prior to doing mine and found the process very straight forward. I would say it's obviously more challenging than assembling an AR trigger group, but probably a bit less complicated than a 1911. I remember one of the springs was more difficult to get back in than the other, but you don't need any special tools so long as you have basic screwdrivers and punches available.

I have a 6" Model 28 and a 4" GP. 100. I don't see much difference at 25 yards at the range. I shoot the GP 100 more than the Model 28 is sort of getting to "antique" status. I would recommend a GP 100 in stainless if you go that route. My next gun is going to be a 357 sunbbie in stainless. I would also like to own some massively long barrelled revolver in the future just for S&G's..

Steve

Last edited:
That's another reason I went with .357 Magnum for this one.

Nice. I'm sure you will love it. As for changing the springs, there are a few videos on youtube that detail the process very well. I had never taken a revolver apart prior to doing mine and found the process very straight forward. I would say it's obviously more challenging than assembling an AR trigger group, but probably a bit less complicated than a 1911. I remember one of the springs was more difficult to get back in than the other, but you don't need any special tools so long as you have basic screwdrivers and punches available.
I got a set of Chapman gunsmith screw bits with driver(s) and both regular and roll pin punches (got those for AR builds). I need to run some ammo through it before I decide to alter the trigger. I do like the SA side of it, so I might not do anything to the trigger.

Black bear attacks do happen. Rare, but possible. So far, I find them easier to shoo away than most dogs, but then there are no 450 lb dogs either...

only mod on the GP100 i've found sort of necessary are hammer shims, which prevent the hammer from smacking the frame on it's way to the transfer bar - firing pin. the stock trigger springs aren't too bad IMO. after some dry fire the DA pull should be around 10#.

A 4" will do you fine out to 50 yards. I have a model 617, which is a 10 round .22 in the same size frame, but i shot 8" groups first time out with it at 50 yards. I suspect this will get better. Maybe someone will tell me i am stupid for comparing a .22 with a .357, but it is literally the same size frame and sight radius. The after effects might be a little different[wink]

I have a S&W model 19 6" that is great fun to shoot and a Gp100 4" that's is also a lot of fun and I shoot both often. I would have to agree with most here that the 4" would be better carrying in the woods.

A 4" will do you fine out to 50 yards. I have a model 617, which is a 10 round .22 in the same size frame, but i shot 8" groups first time out with it at 50 yards. I suspect this will get better. Maybe someone will tell me i am stupid for comparing a .22 with a .357, but it is literally the same size frame and sight radius. The after effects might be a little different[wink]

22LR just isn't as grin inducing as adult sized rounds... [rofl2]

Back
Top Bottom