• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 Magnum revolver barrel length?

Golddiggie

NES Member
I'm in the market to pick up a .357 Magnum wheel gun. Currently looking at Ruger (GP100) and S&W models (686 and 686 Plus mostly). I won't be using it in competition shooting, nor do i intend to conceal carry it. Not looking to shoot long range with it either. Most likely I'll be shooting it at 25 yards or less distances (maybe occasionally out to 50 yards, but that will probably be a rare occurrence). I've found a couple of sites that list the FPS difference when using a 4" or 6" barrel.

So my real question is, for those that actually KNOW this... Would I see any real world difference between a 4" or 6" barrel?

I am thinking about carrying whatever I get if/when I go out into the sticks for some photography (probably once the snow is all off the ground at least until next winter when it will be more solid). I was told that the 4" would probably be better for that, since it has less of a chance to snag on anything while either pulling it from the holster, or bringing it to bear (especially if on a bear).

Hoping to get info on this sooner rather than later. Since I saw a GP100 at a local store so I could get it as soon as tomorrow/Sunday and take it to the range that same day.

For reference, my father had a .357 Colt Python (8" barrel) when I was little. Unfortunately he sold it sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. I wish he never had done that, since I'd have it now. That's not something I can afford to get these days. Plus I figured it was time to finally add a decent/good wheel gun to my collection. Whichever I get it will NOT be a safe queen. All the guns I own are ones that go to the range, get carried, or at least made to sing from time to time. I now have three pistols in my concealed carry rotation.

For just recreational target shooting and occasional woods carry, definitely 4".

This^

The real accuracy advantage of the longer barrel comes from the longer sight radius.
If you're only looking to shoot it at 50 yards max, you likely won't notice much difference between a 4" and 6" barrel.

Not sure if you're only looking to buy a new current production gun or something used, but if used is OK, don't overlook the Ruger Security Six .357 if you happen to find one.

Unless you're shooting bowling pins or something, 4" is going to be better most of the time. Even then I killed plenty of pins back when I had my 686-5 4" no problem. 4" has way greater utility IMHO. You can actually carry the thing... anything from 5"+ is full retard. Not to mention if you ever had to sell it, a 4" will sell way faster than a longer barreled gun will.

-Mike

+1 on the 4 inch. If you're going new production S&W I'd say look at the m66. Ruger GP100 is a work horse, but the trigger isn't as nice as on the 66

recently came into a 3" gp 100 and happily park my fat behind at the 7 yd range at harvard and pound away. the shorter barrels are a lot of fun imo.

So my real question is, for those that actually KNOW this... Would I see any real world difference between a 4" or 6" barrel?

Don't really KNOW, but I have heard the 6" is better due to the fact that you could also use it for hunting if you HAD to. I have the GP100 in 4" and 6" and like them both.

4" barrel is a good all around length for what you propose. I have a Ruger GP 100 and am quite pleased with it but I found 2 things I didn't like and corrected for short cash. First as other will tell you the trigger on the Ruger is a bit rough,a set of Wolff springs will solve that cost $10. Second I found the factory rubber grips to be slippery and replaced them with a set of grips from Altamont in their snake skin texture I think they were $20 or $30. Both of these alterations you can do yourself in under an hour.

I've got a vintage 66-1 chambered in both 38spl and 357 mag as usual. It's got a 2" barrel on it. From the standpoint of fit and finish and operation, it's perfect. From the standpoint of shooting it at any distance beyond 21 feet, it sucks. There is NO REASON to put a .375 in that tiny barrel (or anything less than 4" imho) because all you get is a huge plume and lots of noise and recoil. The .38spl is handled perfectly. This particular piece was my mother-in-laws carry piece when she was on the job here in our town for 25 years as the first police woman. During that entire time (in the 60's forward) she said she never pulled it from her holster. Those were different times to be sure. That's the only reason I haven't swapped on a longer barrel to make that really fine revolver more accurate at distance.

Northframingham? You say not to attempt to carry a 4" barrel? Is it really that clumsy or is there another reason. I may still be convinced to swap barrels because I've come to love it so much....as much as my autos. It ALWAYS fires and has a good caliber for carry work, I think. Just tell me way a 4" isn't a good choice.

Thanks!

Rome

You could split the difference and get a 686 with a 5" barrel.

Obviously on the left... not certain if all of the 5" models came with unfluted cylinders, so if that's not your taste you might be out of luck.

I love unfluted wheelguns so I tend to got that route if at all available.

Last edited:
Why are you worried about bears in New England?

I have a 6" GP100. It's hilariously huge. It's a ton of fun to shoot. Eats hot .357 all day long. I only carried it once just to say I did it and it was around town - it's too heavy to hike with, imo. Basi for fun get the 6" but for utility get the 3-4"

A 4" will do you just fine at pistol ranges and a bit beyond.
My hog hunting backup is a 4" S&W and it's done it's job whenever I needed it.

Back in the day when factory ammunition wasn't nearly as good as it is today conventional wisdom said get a six inch .357 for maximum ballistic efficiency and the longer sight radius will help with accuracy. Well maybe the longer sight radius thing might still hold true for handgun hunting if using iron sights, but four inches is just fine. With today's modern loads you should have all you need and then some and four inches is a lot handier than six (maybe in other applications the story is different LOL) if you handload you can work up some nice loads for your revolver. Carrying an L or K frame 4 inch S&W CCW is not impossible if you dress around the gun. It is done.

I personally think that a four inch .357 is the most versatile handgun a person can own and if limited to just one gun would merit serious consideration as the one gun to own because of its versatility and utility. It can shoot everything from mild .38 wadcutters to super hot .357 magnums.

I have a variety of .357 revolvers from 2" to 8-3/8".
I like my 6" revolvers best as they are just a little easier to shoot accurately.
The bit of extra barrel adds a little weight right where it is needed for best "feel".
The sight radius is just right for me.
The recoil and muzzle blast is a bit less.

I have Ruger Sec.Sixes in 2-3/4", 4" , and 6" that I've shot all with the same loads. That did not change my mind about the 6" being the best choice for shooing.

I look at a 4" as a good compromise but I'm not inclined to compromise.

Jack

Like the others 4"

My very first handgun was a Mod 66 in 6"
I currently have a Python in 4" and an old Dan Wesson with 4 interchangeable barrels.

My son and I both can ding steel at 100 yards with my 4" - 686. Granted I have never measured the groups, but when you are shooting at paper at 30 feet and decide to take a couple of shots at the steel out on the berm, the ding you hear will bring a smile. Sure, the first round may kick up dust, but just change your sight picture and ... ding

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your insight, Dick.

I think he prefers Richard.

Why are you worried about bears in New England?

I have a 6" GP100. It's hilariously huge. It's a ton of fun to shoot. Eats hot .357 all day long. I only carried it once just to say I did it and it was around town - it's too heavy to hike with, imo. Basi for fun get the 6" but for utility get the 3-4"

I'm in NH and would tend to go deeper into the woods, or further north into NH or Maine when going that way. I was also using da bears as an 'for example'... I want something that will basically be able to take down anything that's being aggressive towards me in that situation. Animals on either four legs or two.

I do intend to set up for reloading for the revolver (probably before end of this year), so the economics of shooting will be better. Plus I'll be able to develop the rounds that I want. I'll need to either get some replacement parts for my ~20 year old Chrony, or trade it in towards a new model. [smile]

Seems like the majority agree that a 4" barrel will do just fine for the uses I stated. Good to know...

Yeah... and you wouldn't take a long range shot at a black bear anyway. And the additional barrel length won't really matter as much as bringing the gun to target... after you have soiled your pants.

Back
Top Bottom