• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

357 LCR MA OK

That might be one of the ugliest guns I've ever seen! It looks like a Highpoint took a dump on a Taurus!
I have the 38 version and love it. I can shoot it better than other snubbies, and the double action is even throughout the entire length of pull.

I have the 38 version and love it. I can shoot it better than other snubbies, and the double action is even throughout the entire length of pull.

How would you compare it to the sp101? I have one, and something real lightweight would be nice if the DA is the same as the sp.

I shot a couple of sa/da snubbies, and usually only shot them single action because I was better at single action than double action.
Buying a double action only forces me to shoot da, which is the way yo'd be shooting in a self defense situation anyway.
Shooting a DAO in da is often smoother than shooting a da/sa in da. Not sure why.

The LCR is lighter and smaller than the SP101. I've only shot an SP101 a few times, and honestly don't remember much about its da pull, but I can tell you I'd rather shoot an LCR than any other small 38 snubbie I've ever shot. I couldn't believe what a difference it made, especially if you hold it with a very high hand grip.

It gets pocket carried in a Desantis pocket holster.

Having never fired a .357 this small does any one have any experience with it? I'd like to know if it's too powerful and not enjoyable to shoot with that much of a kick. Looks like the perfect answer to a reliable pocket gun that has some real stopping power!

I've heard stories of the LCR being essentially a kinetic bullet puller with +P ammo. Stories of the cylinder not rotating to the 5th shot because the bullet is pulled too far out of the casings.....
jin_ghost_story.jpg

P.S. I don't do online research to back up my claims. Overheard at MFL. Other google Jedi's will fill in if appropriate to either substantiate or kook-ify me.

J-frame.[/Thread]

Having never fired a .357 this small does any one have any experience with it? I'd like to know if it's too powerful and not enjoyable to shoot with that much of a kick. Looks like the perfect answer to a reliable pocket gun that has some real stopping power!

.357 in a small package = not many shots down range (unless EXTREMELY dedicated). It will be a torture device.

.38spl 158gr LWC from Buffalo Bore is really all you need. And even THAT broke my Andean Alder grips[crying] (crying over broke $110 grips...not pain)

Send an e-mail to Michael de Bethencourt at snubtraining.com He could probably help you. Better yet, take his class!!!!

I've had no problems with full strength +P loads out of my LCR. It definitely has a bit of a kick, but not unmanageable by any stretch. I'd imagine the 357 version would be even more comfortable to shoot (with 38sp ammo) since it adds about 1/4lb to the weight of the standard LCR.

Sounds good. It would be good to carry with .38s when you don't think you'll need a gun and upload to .357 when you need a gun.

Kinda like people who only carry if they think they need to, but making more sense.

.357 in a small package = not many shots down range (unless EXTREMELY dedicated). It will be a torture device.

All of the reviews on the 357 I have read have been very positive. They say both 357 and 38 through it is very manageable. It's not as light as some of the other lightweight 357's out there like the Smith's. I was checking one out the other day and the grip is nice and the trigger is very consistent through the whole pull. I've been looking for something for pocket carry and I think that the 357 LCR is going to be it.

S&W 386. .357 mag, 18.5 oz, no plastic. It looks to me like the LCR is the solution to a problem that's already been solved.

The LCR in .38 SPL won't pull bullets, that much I know.

In .357 you'd really have to test out your carry loads to see if it would be a problem. If it is, I'd just suggest using the Speer Short Barrel .357 load. It is a lot "calmer" than full house .357, and all full house .357 is doing out of a snub anyways is making extra blast and noise. The Speer Short barrel load is more along the lines of being between .38 +P+ and .357 Magnum. Back when I had an SW640 snub I used to run the short barrel loads.. they were still well northward of 1000 FPS with a 135 gr bullet out of a 2.1" barrel.

-Mike

Last edited:
S&W 386. .357 mag, 18.5 oz, no plastic. It looks to me like the LCR is the solution to a problem that's already been solved.

Except for the fact that you will probably have to pay to have a trigger job done to the S&W to bring it anywhere near what the Ruger is out of the box. Most of the smith J-frames have 900 pound triggers out of the box. (Granted, if you have it done up right, it will be better than Ruger in the end, but that adds to the cost. ) I'd also bet the .357 LCR is going to be less expensive and more available, too.

-Mike

Having never fired a .357 this small does any one have any experience with it? I'd like to know if it's too powerful and not enjoyable to shoot with that much of a kick.

With full power .357 Magnum it will be a hair parting experience, just like every other snub out there. It won't be nearly as bad as the S&W 14 oz airweights are, though. (eg, like the SW340PD etc. ) Do you have much experience with snubs in general? If you already do, you'll probably be pleased or at least have appropriate expectations. If this is your first snub, you're probably going to be frustrated. IMO this isn't a class of gun that should be approached lightly. Buying one for the hell of it, with the intention of using it as a carry gun, is a bad idea.... unless your plans including going to "snub nose revolver church".

Looks like the perfect answer to a reliable pocket gun that has some real stopping power!

Before you get too excited, consider that the nominal 125 gr, JHP, 1400 FPS .357 magnum load is not going to be running @ 1400 FPS out of a snubnose revolver- not even close, I doubt it'll even break 1200. You start chopping inches off the barrel and velocity drops like a rock. The reality is that .357 Magnum is probably not going all that much faster than a 9mm +P load is out of a gun with a slightly longer barrel. One thing the .357 will do is set the bad guy's clothes on fire if he happens to be doused with gasoline or alcohol. (tongue firmly implanted in cheek).

Sounds good. It would be good to carry with .38s when you don't think you'll need a gun and upload to .357 when you need a gun.

It's still a dumb idea. Carry one load and stick with it. Those used to .38 +P recoil will be pleased with the .357 SB load from Speer. I can't say enough good things about that loading.

-Mike

Mike - sorry you missed my sarcasm. I was parodying the people who only carry when they "think they'll need it", instead of all the time because you never know when you need it. The carrying .38's in it is akin to leaving the 1911 in the safe because it's a safe neighborhood/too hot/I'm dressed up, etc.

I picked it up last night. Feels nice, decent trigger compared to a 642.

Anything is good compared to a stock 642. Smith J-frames can be slicked up pretty good, though, but that's an added expense to the whole thing. Dry firing the 642 about 9 million times usually makes it better, but a trigger job is a lot easier.

I think I'll carry it with .38 standard, with the top cylinder empty!

Ok I'm not going to fall for that again. [rofl]

-Mike

Mike - sorry you missed my sarcasm. I was parodying the people who only carry when they "think they'll need it", instead of all the time because you never know when you need it. The carrying .38's in it is akin to leaving the 1911 in the safe because it's a safe neighborhood/too hot/I'm dressed up, etc.

Sorry, I had misread your post as only being 50% sarcastic. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom